Neighbors bengal cat is a real pain !

Dogs, Cats, Fish, Parrots, Horses, ALL Domestic Pets
Dee
Longlasting Laner

Neighbors bengal cat is a real pain !

Post by Dee »

We have a bengal cat that lives near to us and keeps coming into my house for food..
He is not aggressive with my cat at all but growls at me when i try to shoo him out ..he just broke a cup as he jumped up onto the worktop to get back out of the window..
Im pretty sure he is well looked after and fed even though he looks very slim ..
What can i do to keep him away ..
He got into another kitchen near me and scratch their dog on the face so hes not at all scared of anything...
This thursday we are picking up a puppy and im worried this cat will have a go at him ..
Any ideas ??
Thanks
Dee
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Re: Neighbors bengal cat is a real pain !

Post by lancashire lass »

the puppy will be vulnerable to attack by any cat (including from your own) - trust me, it happened when I tried to introduce my cat to my dog when she was a puppy (and I thought I had everything under control ....) In time the puppy will grow more boisterous and the cat will ignore him but before then, you'll need to be around to supervise.

There's not a lot you can do except to keep shoo-ing the bengal cat away every time you see it (a spray bottle with water will soon make it move) and close that window where he has access - if you have to have it open, then put some sort of mesh across it so he can't get in. Keep doing it every time you see him to get the message home that he is not welcome. Of course he'll run away as soon as he sees you but he'll most likely be back if something is attracting him. Just keep at it.

Make sure there's no food around - if it's for your cat, then I'm afraid you just have to take it away when your cat isn't eating, and when it is his feeding time, you'll have to close the door and make sure the other cat can't get in so all access to food is unavailable. If you have a cat flap, make sure it is one of those that only your cat can get in and out.
Dee
Longlasting Laner

Post by Dee »

Thank you for your reply , yes i will take my cats food up ..he is such a sweet laid back placid cat he just sits and watches the bengal !
The bengal dosnt run away form me he stands his ground !! he is a stunning animal but a terror ..
My puppy is a rescue street dog coming from Zante and the last thing i want is him being hurt ..I can control my cat more or less and Im sure my cat Sheldon will let him know who's boss but this other cat is a different matter..
I will try all those things , hope fully he will give up once there is no food easily available
Thank you
Dee
xx
wendy

Post by wendy »

I think LL has said it all )t'
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
HedgeHugger
Legendary Laner

Post by HedgeHugger »

The thing with the water bottle, squirt rather than spray, if it has that setting, otherwise a water pistol (better distance).
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

HedgeHugger wrote:The thing with the water bottle, squirt rather than spray, if it has that setting, otherwise a water pistol (better distance).

excellent idea - target practice )like(
Dee
Longlasting Laner

Post by Dee »

Ive not left any of Sheldons food down today and he still came in to have a look , the door is open alot during the day... but he has a collar with a bell so at least i can hear him..
I shouted and took chase with a sports drink bottle filled with water ...gives a good squirt !
The neighbors now really do think i have lost the plot !! lol
Dee
xx