Sick hen

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
marilyn1952
Learner Laner

Sick hen

Post by marilyn1952 »

I just found that one of my hens Amy she is very young I don't know if she has had her eye pecked but she had all this stuff like cheese in her eye I bathed it and cleaned it what could it be and should I consult my vet we have only had her a few weeks please help I have 6 other hens and 1 cockerel

kitla
Legendary Laner

Re: Sick hen

Post by kitla »

oh dear poor chook. You've done the right thing, but I would definately take her to the vet, sounds like an infection that probably needs antibiotics, also better to be safe incase its something she could pass to the others.
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Hi need to take to vets and get anti bio-tics as this is a virus and will swell possible and close her eye . If possible isolate and give good clean out of coop/run . I have had several and though they still eat they must be hard to get food with one eye.
Let us know how you get on . My girl at the moment is having 3 jabs after months of treatment . 2nd jab had 3rd on Friday . Hope she gets better .

Bob
Have you a bird vet as they really need to be knowing what to do .
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Hi It sounds like pus. Definitely vets and antibiotics. How is she getting on?
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper