Ambers diary.

Start your own thread and let us follow you through the year
amber66
Longlasting Laner

Re: Ambers diary.

Post by amber66 »

Hello Kitla and Bob.
Thank you for the replies.
I have a plastic Arcus coop and she is sitting in a plastic cat litter tray. I have checked the coop as best i can and every time i clean it out, once a week, as it does not get dirty as they only use it to lay. I can't see any red mite. When i clean it i put a lot of mite powder in that contains DE.
Lola sleeps in the plastic tray at night, the rest on the coop but last night she was on top as Roxy was in the tray.
I will make sure she comes out at least twice a day then but just leave her to it other wise.
Amber.

Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

Hi Amber. I think Kitty and Bob have give you some good advice about your broody. I have never had a broody girl so don't know much about this. Lots of luck on Monday when your dog goes for her operation. I know it will be a worrying time, but I am sure she will be fine.
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Fingers and hens feet all crossed here for monday >fi<
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
amber66
Longlasting Laner

Post by amber66 »

My lab has had her op. She is a bit sore with a big scar but doing ok. Back to the vets on Friday for a check up and the results of the biopsy.
Roxy still broody, she is being taken off the nest 3 times a day and heads straight for a dust bath and a drink but she will not eat much so i have been putting some sunflower seeds in the nest box and i think she is eating them. She seems in good health at the moment but will keep an eye on her.
Amber.
Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

So glad your Lab has got through her operation. Good luck with the results on Friday when you take her for the check up.
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

How is everything going Amber with your girls and your lab?
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce

amber66
Longlasting Laner

Post by amber66 »

Morning all.
Our Lab came through the operation alright and we got the results of the lumps on Friday. They turned out to be just fatty lumps, i am so relieved. Apart from her fur missing in a few places she is back to her old self.
The girls are all good, Roxy is still broody and showing no signs of giving up. I must admit i am a little worried about her as she is getting thinner and her tummy area looks a little red, i have checked as best i can for mites but can't see any on her. I lift her out about 4 times a day to eat and drink but she doesn't seem to eat hardly anything.
The rest sleep on top at the coop at night and every so often they all stand up and start pecking the roof where they lay. It looks like tiny black specks, they don't move. Could these be lice that are coming off the hens and if so would it be Frontline (cats) that i would need to treat them with?
I hope every ones girls and boys are well.
Amber.
Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

Morning Amber. So glad that your Lab is doing well and it's nothing untoward..sure must be a relief for you. On the lice front, I have never (touch wood - shouldn't tempt fate) encountered these thank goodness. I know other people have used Frontline for cats and it seems to be quite effective on chooks. I am sure someone who has personal experience of this will be along to advise. That sure is the beauty of this Forum - we definitely live and learn with these girls. Glad that everyone's OK.
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Hi Amber

Glad to hear your dog is okay and came through the op so well )t'

I have encountered lice a few times with my girls, the ones I've seen have been flat, brown coloured things, kind of oblong shaped and definitely not specks apart from when they are just hatching I suppose. Have you checked any of the girls rear ends, as that is a favourite place to lay eggs and you can often see them on the feather shafts?

If they are mites, they could be red mite or northern fowl mite. Or perhaps they are just pecking at specks on the roof and not mites at all.

Frontline for cats works, as does DE and even better a combination of both. I also use harpermectin which is for pigeons but also good for treating infestations as it's a form of ivermectin so might be worth getting some in - I got mine online, can't remember where from though.

And just to gross you out even more, the Chicken Chick has a good article about lice and mites http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/0 ... ation.html although the treatments she recommends are american and I don't think you can get them over here.
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
HenPen
Longlasting Laner

Post by HenPen »

Hi Amber -

I have missed such a lot. I am so, so glad that your dog's lumps were just fatty. I've got an elderly dog who is very lumpy and bumpy.

Re the chooks - fingers crossed it isn't mites or lice, and that it is just specks of dirt or something easy like that!
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Great news on you lab Amber, whats their name?
Re lice I def recommend cat frontline the squirty one from the bottle. Two dabs on big hens in different places on their bodies on UNexposed skin, one squirt on bantams. I shall be doint The Peds tomorrow, fed up with uninvited visitors attaching themselves to me yike*

amber66
Longlasting Laner

Post by amber66 »

Hello Sandy.
Sorry for late reply, had a s!*t few days.
Our Labs name is Amber (the name i use for me online, sons idea). She is nearly 10 and i love her to bits so am so glad she is ok.
Re the Frontline, where can i buy the bottle i can only find the pipettes ?
I am glad your girl is feeling better.
I haven't been on here much lately with one thing and another, but it is nice to see you posting again.
catch up soon.
Amber.
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Can only get the frontline by presenting a hen at the vets }hairout{ When I know I will need some in the future I always ask when I take a girl up for any reason.
If you cant do that I have plenty you can borrow, just text me and I can send it on no problem.
Hope things get better for you soon {hug}

amber66
Longlasting Laner

Post by amber66 »

Hello.
Thank you Sandy re the Frontline i will text you soon.
The girls are all ok for now (touch wood). Roxy is still full on broody, i have nicked named her "Clucky Clara" because of the sound she makes when i lift her off the nest. She then sits on the floor throwing wood chip on her back for a few minutes before going for a dust bath and drink and then heads straight back to the nest if i have not shut it off.
I have had them confined to the run for a few weeks while my new lawn is settling down as i had let them out and they had dug a large hole in a matter of a few hours right in the middle!
They have been having a few extra greens as the caterpillars have ruined all my cabbages and broccoli so dinner is meat and two veg {rofwl}
Hope every ones girls and boys are well.
Amber.
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Excellent news all in the house of Amber are well and happy )like(
New lawn, now how long do you think that will last {rofwl}