Sad Hedgehog day

All free living creatures around our Homes & Gardens - enjoying helping them helping us
wildlifemad
Lively Laner

Sad Hedgehog day

Post by wildlifemad »

One of our resident Hogs was killed on the road on Friday night, so sad. No food has been touched since so it looks like we only had one around at the moment, we certainly had 2 or 3 earlier in the year. Cruel world sometimes.
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Re: Sad Hedgehog day

Post by Gwenoakes »

A very cruel world indeed.
wildlifemad
Lively Laner

Post by wildlifemad »

Update from earlier. When it was light I went out to hang washing out & there are 2 poo's around the garden so at least one of the hogs is still around but not going to the feeding station. Makes me feel a bit better.
wendy

Post by wendy »

{cry}
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
wildlifemad
Lively Laner

Post by wildlifemad »

I've seen a VERY big Hog this morning at 4.20am & it seemed to be going in & out of one of the hog houses we have & it looked like it was taking in bedding if so could it be nesting??? The food in the feeding station hasn't been touched but I don't think it will get in as I've narrowed the gap to stop the cat getting in. I will have to look at it again today to see what I can do. Anyway, its just nice to see we still have at least one more around after losing the one.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

wildlifemad wrote:I've seen a VERY big Hog this morning at 4.20am & it seemed to be going in & out of one of the hog houses we have & it looked like it was taking in bedding if so could it be nesting???
Or setting up it's winter home? How late do they have young and get them fat enough to hibernate?
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
wildlifemad
Lively Laner

Post by wildlifemad »

It seems June & July are the most common months to have their babies but anytime from May to September so we will wait & see. I think its too early for them to thinking about bagging a bed for the winter yet. On a sad note, yet again we have a dead Hog on the road in exactly the same spot as the other day, it wasn't there when I looked at 5am but got the bins in about 6.30am & saw it then. I know Hogs stop still when you approach them but it would have been light when this one got hit so would have been more visible & 30mph means nothing to most of the drivers that use our road. Rant over, sorry.
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

That's a shame about losing one, I guess road kill is the major thing we can't do anything about.

Mo - any Hedgehogs born from about early / mid September on may not reach the required weight of 450grms (1lb).
A lot depends on when the cold sets in of course, but if a small one is found late October onwards and the weather is worsening, one should contact the Hedgehog Preservation Society who will give you the local Rescue / Hospital numbers.

Richard
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
wildlifemad
Lively Laner

Post by wildlifemad »

I just thought I would update this regarding the potential nesting Hog! I have been putting a stick at the entrance every day & also at the fence that they use to enter the neighbours garden. There is definitely someone in the house as the sticks have moved everyday & I could hear it about 6pm yesterday when I was putting the stick across! We even managed to put the wildlife camera out & caught one on it at 2.34am this morning. Going to have to keep putting the camera out in the hope that it is mum & babies! The neighbour saw one in her garden the night before as well.
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

exciting! but quite late for babies isnt it? if so they'll need lots of feeding up to get to their full weight before hibernation time.
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
wildlifemad
Lively Laner

Post by wildlifemad »

It is quite late but hopefully they will make it. We put food out in a feeding station for them, wet & dry cat food & a few raisins. I will keep an eye out, apparently they bring the young out at 3-4 wks old, it is 3 wks since I saw her going in with nesting material & according to Hedgehog Street it is usually quite a last minute dash to find somewhere!! If there were any issues we have a very good wildlife hospital near us where I have took 2 before now to be nursed back to health & when it has been time to go & collect it they always ask if we can take 2 home as not all that are rescued are able to be released back where they were found. So its not always just Mr Tesco that does BOGOF!!!!!! Will keep you posted!
wildlifemad
Lively Laner

Post by wildlifemad »

Well the latest update on the potential nesting Hog is that we have seen it on camera 3 times in the last week & this morning & the previous morning I have seen it about 5am going back into the house! We are just hoping she has babies hidden in there! If there are I can see us using alot of cat food to fatten them up for winter! Fingers are crossed!!