Bullied new hen

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
Nikkicharl
Learner Laner

Bullied new hen

Post by Nikkicharl »

Yesterday I bought 2 young hens, a. warren (Candy) and a speckledy (Flossie), as company for my rescued bantam cockerel (Luke) who had just lost his only hen to peritonitis. The 2 new hens didn't know each other as they were from different sheds. It was obvious from the beginning that Candy was confident and Flossie reserved. When I put them all together, after the initial fisticuffs, Luke and Candy quickly made friends and are already inseparable, which is great. The problem is Candy is bullying Flossie mercilessly, chasing and pecking and making her cry out. When Luke sees this he joins in with the bullying too. This morning Flossie doesn't want to come out of the coop.I did pick her up and place her in the run but when she eventually ventured into the garden she was attacked again by the other 2 and she ran back to the coop. I put some food and water in there but she is showng little interest, just sitting in the nestbox fluffed up with her eyes closed. My question is what is the best course of action? Do I leave her alone to come round by herself or do I encourage her to come outside? Or should I build her a separate pen where she can see the others but can't be attacked? I've never had this problem before with new hens not getting on together. Ive always found they've stuck together. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Re: Bullied new hen

Post by lancashire lass »

Difficult one. Personally, I'd be tempted to remove Candy (not sure where but away from Flossie) so that Luke has no option but to be alone with Flossie. If he does his job right, when Candy is returned he should (hopefully) put a stop to her bullying.
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

When you say young hens, are they laying? if so could Flossie be broody by any chance? Just wondered as sitting fluffd up in the coop could be broodiness & broody hens usually get bullied by the others.
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
Nikkicharl
Learner Laner

Post by Nikkicharl »

Thank you Lancashirelass. That might be worth a try, though Luke has started to attack Flossie even without Candy's encouragement. I really thought he would want to protect both his hens. I brought Flossie indoors to try to get her to eat. She had a few wheat grains from my hand but then stood in the typical poorly hen stance and looked completely traumatised. It didnt help when Luke walked in and tried to attack her! I put her on the lawn away from where the others were and she's now hiding under a bush. I've got an old rabbit hutch that I will clean out and give Candy some solitary confinement for a while.

Kitla - thank you for that. The hens are only 17 weeks old so haven't started laying.
Grannyof4
Legendary Laner

Post by Grannyof4 »

When introducing new hens it needs to be done slowly and preferably not just throw them all in together. They can be evil little creatures.
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Naughty Luke for not protecting all of his new girls!

The change of environment can be quite daunting, and add in bullying and its no wonder Flossie is feeling stressed. There could be an underlying health condition which is perhaps why both Candy and Luke are going for her - they will be merciless if there is ill health scented.

I'd keep her seperate for now through the day so you can keep an eye on her, but try to put them all together at night (and get up at the crack of dawn to seperate) and if she starts coming round have them mix a little before bedtime when they should be quieter. As Kitla says, try seperating Candy too, although if Luke is also bullying that might be a bit too late, but worth a go. And get a water pistol and be on hand to break up any nastiness. No treats as they can bring out the worst at introductions I find, and do have at least 3 sources of food and water, to make sure Flossie can at least get some without being bullied off (and place these as far apart as you can).

This is a traumatic time for all (including us) but it should calm down in a week or so. You have probably been lucky so far if this is the first time you've had this, as this is pretty common to be honest when introducing new birds - it's the pecking order, and it's horrible to watch, but necessary
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
Nikkicharl
Learner Laner

Post by Nikkicharl »

I went to check on Flossie and she hadn't moved from under the bush. I decided to bring her indoors to keep an eye on her. She is certainly very subdued so there could be an underlying health issue. She just wants to sleep. She has hardly eaten in the last 24 hours and her crop felt empty. I managed to get her to drink some Critical Care solution and she ate a few pellets. I'll keep her indoors tonight. Luke sleeps in a dog cage in the kitchen as his early morning crowing annoys the neighbours. I'll put Flossie where they can see each other but not make contact, and review the situation in the morning.
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Another possible solution get another hen for her company and 2 and 2 might help.
let us know what happens. My girls are fighting at times and the boys only stop them when their girl is on the wrong end of it.
Bob
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

bikesandbirdsbob wrote:Another possible solution get another hen for her company and 2 and 2 might help.
let us know what happens. My girls are fighting at times and the boys only stop them when their girl is on the wrong end of it.
Bob

Yes, but if she is ill you want to isolate not spread anything.

What a worry they are sometimes.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Nikkicharl
Learner Laner

Post by Nikkicharl »

Thank you all for your helpful advice. When I let Luke out of his dog crate this morning he went straight to attack Flossie who had the run of the kitchen during the night. I really dont think Flossie is ill, just traumatised from the events of the last couple of days. I left food and water near her and I noticed she went to partake a few times, plus her poo is normal.

They are all in the garden now and Flossie is hiding under the bush as before. But when I first put her outside and stayed with her for a while they were all near each other eating grass. I was able to intercept the inevitable attacks and I'm sure Flossie sees me as her protector because she runs to hide behind my legs at any sign of trouble.

I have cleaned out the old rabbit hutch; my intention was to put Candy in there until she calms down. I now realise that won't work as Luke is being as much of a bully as Candy. So I'll have to keep Flossie in there if I'm out during the day but I plan to put her in the coop with Candy at dusk and remove her at dawn. In the meantime I will make an enclosure on the lawn out of rabbit run panels. I can keep Flossie in there whilst I'm around during the day. That way they'll all be able to see each other but Flossie will be safe.

It's a pity I have to go out tomorrow and Friday because Luke and Candy will have to be locked in their run and Flossie in the hutch (I never let them free range when I'm not around as the garden isn't predator proof). They are in different parts of the garden so there won't be any visual contact. Anyway I'll see how it goes. The plus side is that Candy has made herself completely at home and she and Luke are getting on like old friends!
Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

Hi - Sorry to hear you are having a rough time with your new girls at the moment. When I have brought 2 new girls home (not related and not knowing each other before) they have been fine and have stayed together against my remaining hen. It has been my original girl that caused havoc until she got used to the new girls. Introductions can be very difficult (and indeed stressful). I have always kept my new girls apart (split my run in two so that they can all see each other). I believe it takes about 3 weeks for any kind of acceptance (the pecking order to be established) so don't give up hope of having a peaceful trio. I am sure it will come and that it will just take time. I believe in taking things slowly and keeping them separated for the first week or even 2 (but within sight of each other). Good luck
Nikkicharl
Learner Laner

Post by Nikkicharl »

HI Cheshire Chick. Yes my experience of introducing new hens has always been that the new ones have stuck together against the existing one the same as you have found. I suppose there is always the exception to the rule! I'm not having much luck with chickens at the moment. I've been taking in ex bats but they have caused me much heartbreak and not lasted very long, even though I have done my very best for them. If it hadn't been for Luke being left on his own I would have given up keeping chickens as I can't keep putting myself through it, plus the vet bills have been enormous. I decided that the best option would be to get a couple of young hens instead of ex bats, but that's not working either. I must be jinxed!
amber66
Longlasting Laner

Post by amber66 »

Hello.
It may seem like the end of the world at the moment, and we all feel like this when we are introducing new girls but in a few weeks when it all settles down you will feel a lot better.
Unfortunately they don't read the rule books and there is always at least one madam that causes all the agro }hairout{
If it is still early doors are you able to get another hen and put her with your stressed one, they would probably form a bond and then you could introduce the 2 together to your other hen and cockerel in a week or two.
I hope things settle for you soon as they know how to stress us all out.
Amber.
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

Just had another thought, being as your hens are so young & not started laying, are you absolutely 100% sure flossie is a girl?
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

Hi Nikki - I know exactly what you are saying about your chickens and I have felt just the same because of all the heartbreak. I have always had point of lay hens (hybrids) and even they do not seem to live longer than 2 1/2 - 3 years and I have thought about giving up many times. You also mentioned the vets. It always surprises me how expensive they are, especially to treat chickens. I think every good person that has given a loving home to ex batts should receive a discount, but unfortunately it doesn't work like that. It seems to be if you live out in rural areas that they don't charge so much (as my friend has experienced) but here in the towns they charge an absolute fortune, which is not fair at all. When I took my Mary it cost me £80 just to have her drained and she never recovered and died when I got her home. It's then that feeling comes into play "I can't do this anymore - it's too heartbreaking". Problem is I love these girls and they are so much a part of my life and at the end of the day I am giving them a loving free life (albeit a short one). Don't give up - things will settle down and get better for you.