Henpen's hens and Eggstremely odd eggs

Start your own thread and let us follow you through the year
HenPen
Longlasting Laner

Re: Henpen's hens and Eggstremely odd eggs

Post by HenPen »

Thanks CC - that's very kind of you. It was this:
HenPen wrote:The vet said he thought that, since three of my five hens had suffered from EYP (of course Cupid never got a chance) that it was likely they had had a virus which caused the fallopian tubes to become damaged. If so, he said, Wiggy - even if she was immune - would be a carrier, so he felt I shouldn't get more hens while I had her.

I don't really know what to think about that - how could we know for sure? There was a gap of 18 months or thereabouts between Ginger and Miranda, and EYP is so common, perhaps it was coincidence. I don't know. He did say that if they were Point-of-Lay from a source which vaccinated (they were) they should have been immunised against it. But it would have been a spray, so I guess it's a bit haphazard. If it turned out that the vet was right, and if Wiggy did turn out to be immune, that might make some sense, since the other girls were all in a massive barn with loads of other hens, while Wiggy was with the other Skylines in a small run, so presumably they would have been more likely to get caught by a spray.

Right at the beginning of my chickening adventures, within the first few months, the girls got some respiratory thing that they should have been immunised against. (Actually, I think that was what led me to DTL !) So it seems the whole vaccine thing is a bit hit and miss.

Wiggy had a day out recently. We have a strange garden as the house is sort of in the middle with garden in three sides. Our hen area is on one side all fenced in, then the bit with flowers and pond and then the other side is the front garden/drive. So I thought I'd like to take Wiggy a-gardening, since I was going to be outside for a bit and thought she would like it. My friend let me borrow her puppy pen, so that Wiggy (surely the speediest chicken on earth) wouldn't lead me a merry dance around the garden or fall into the pond- and once she had got over the horror of being picked up and put in an unfamiliar place, I think Wiggy rather liked it. It looks small in the photos but was actually enough space for me to be in there too.

She wasn't a great deal of help, in all honesty, but she was good company and behaved very well, leaving the plants alone and not being naughty at all.

sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

OMG just realised I forgot to say how magnificient the Wiggy Woo is looking, bless her )like(
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Ye agreed, she is looking fine and obviously enjoying being the Most Important Chicken in the world. And she gets a day out! Lucky girl. My lot escaped into our alleyway when hubby left the gate open {warn} but having no discipline, they were lured back in easily with treats, including Dory Grey who was so shocked at the sudden liberty she scared herself right back into the garden!

Now HP - HINT HINT!! Henpal meet up? Date? Location? HINT HINT!!
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

Hi HP - I believe that it is the breed of chicken, i.e. hybrid that is bred for egg laying purposes only that suffer from this awful EYP. Out of my first 3 girls, 2 of them got it at only 18 months old. They also came from a large barn with literally thousands of hens and were immunised (supposedly). They are just bred for productivity and not to have long lives and it is so sad as I love these hens the best but the heartache and worry of this EYP makes me wonder if I should think about pure breeds. I wouldn't care I they never laid an egg in their lives as long as they were happy and healthy. I suppose I am going against my feelings of giving these lovely hybrids and chance of a happy free life - it's just so disheartening to see them suffer with this awful ailment.
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Aaarh yike* no Wiggy photos showing {cry}
How is she doing Henny?
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce

KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

HP it looks like something's happened to youyr photobucket account.

SAVE THE WIGGY PICS!!!! yike*
Karen
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

Karen have you missed the photobucket news? they've started charging lots of money for sharing photos & the forum photos are gradually disappearing!
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
HenPen
Longlasting Laner

Post by HenPen »

Yup, Kitla is right - seems I am among the first DTL chicken diarists to be held to ransom by photobucket )gr: Apparently they have changed their policy and now want $399.99 a year to enable sharing on forums like this lovely one.

Anyway, Wiggles is clucking along merrily and giving us plenty of laughs (not least at her continued insistence on going and sitting in the nest box for a set time every day, whether she is laying or not - had I ever mentioned that before? She is a creature of habit, our Wiggy). Sadly photographic evidence wont be forthcoming!
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

SWINES!!!! I hadn't heard that about photobucket. I only used them a few weeks ago for Bob's capt chaos pics. Will have to find an alternative, I can't see us having diaries with no pictures in them!

Willl this mess up all the pics we already have in our diaries? What a pity.

It's so good to ehar Wiggles is happy being a solo hen. HP are you coming to our next henpal meet up? I've suggestewd 9th Sept.
Karen
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Me asking too Henny, would love to see you

HenPen
Longlasting Laner

Post by HenPen »

Aww I would love to meet you all, but I just don't think I can get up there. To be honest it is over three hours to Oxford from here on a good day, and at the moment (it's lucky I'm talking to animal lovers here) I am trying not to spend to much time away from my dog.

Yes I know it sounds a bit mad, but she is getting old now and, as is often the way, has become clingier with age. She now gets very stressed when I am away for more than a couple of hours at a time (well actually, more than about half an hour, but it gets worse the longer I am away).

The problem is that if I am away for a day or overnight this stress causes what seems very like an IBS flare up, she starts throwing up and having the runs, and this then lasts for several days. It has been the cause of lots of vet visits (things not helped by her having a nasty reaction to the anti-emetic she was given last time, with explosive consequences). I am lucky that I can do a lot of work from home and can take her in to the office but I have had to be away all day/overnight six or seven times over the last few months, and she lost a couple of kilos during that time - but now things seem to have settled down again, so I just think I will try and get her settled again and hopefully gaining the weight back, as I guess I will be having to do several unavoidable trips away at the end of this year/beginning of next.

Sorry to be a no-show. I am sure it all sounds a bit peculiar to non-animal-lovers, and I do tend to make up other excuses with them because I get sick of being told, "Oh, she'll be fine, you're just fussing, she's just a dog..." - but I think I am in good, animal-nutter company and can tell you the truth!
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

We understand. My old dog is nearly 14 & had pancreatitis & a major op a couple of years ago, we had no holidays atall that year, not even a weekend.
What county do you live in Henpen?
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Absolutely understand {hug} would still be willing to go your way for just 30 minutes, not stalking you honest {rofwl}

bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Hi Sounds like a team effort to come your way and spoil our selves. Name a few pubs /cafes establishments that are near to you and we can try at least and get a get together .
If not soon before Xmas.
Got me all keen already.
Bob
HenPen
Longlasting Laner

Post by HenPen »

Ah you lovely people!

I am in Sunny (haha) Sussex by the Sea! I certainly don't want you all to have to travel this far, it is a blooming long way - for you, Sandy, it is over 3 and a half hours on a very good run, but you know what the M25 is like. My friend took 7 hours to get here from Bath a few weeks ago.

I have been trying to work out a way to come up at least a fair bit further. I did have the thought of perhaps suggesting a meet up at Wisley (I was thinking the cafe, as otherwise you have to pay to get into the gardens) - then we could all go home with armfuls of unusual plants for the chickens to eat! But if that doesn't appeal to you, perhaps a cafe or pub in that sort of area. Is that an OK distance for everyone? I think that is about as far as I could go at the moment and still get back without the dog having a total breakdown, bless her! (normal service has resumed tummy-wise, touch wood; I am now hoping to build her up a bit)

I might actually be able to make the 9 Sept, I need to talk to hubby and make sure he is here for the dog. After that, though, I can't make any plans until about the end of Feb.