Swollen belly chicken

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
Suevince
Learner Laner

Swollen belly chicken

Post by Suevince »

Hi, my name is Sue and we have been keeping chickens for years, over the years we have lost some due to swollen belly and took them to the vet where we have been told nothing can be done and they have been put to sleep.
As I speek we have another one with a hot swollen belly, I have been looking on line on you tube where people are using syringes to drain off the liquid!!
Has anyone done this and where can I get a needle syringe?
Thank You

Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Re: Swollen belly chicken

Post by Richard »

Hi there,

I've never had to do the crop amazingly, but the often used method is holding the chicken in a said position and massaging.

I'm no expert and I go by some knowledge isn't always a good thing, but rest assured someone will help you on this during the day or evening.

Richard )t'
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

Hi there. I am presuming by "swollen belly" the condition you describe is Egg Yolk Peritonitis and yes you are right, ultimately there is no cure. This condition has been the bain of my chicken keeping life as it has happened to a few of my girls. They have always gone to the vets though to be drained as I would never dream of trying to do this procedure myself. Let alone you causing more damage internally the hen would probably need a course of antibiotics (the fluid in the abdomen can turn septic) and also painkillers would be required. I really believe this is a vet job. In my experience, if you are lucky, the draining can give the girls a few months longer to live, but ultimately, unfortunately, it always comes back. I am afraid I think it is a case of seeking the vets advice and not attempting this procedure at home. Hope you go on OK.
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Hi Sue

I'm sorry to hear you have a sick chicken. Swollen belly can be one of two things - egg yolk peritonitus, where the chicken starts laying internally and the body is unable to absorb the egg material - this causes a bacterial build up and is eventually fatal. It can be treated if caught early enough, but the condition can re-occur. Some people use a hormonal implant to stop the bird laying, but these only last so long. Tell tale signs are yellow in the droppings, straining to lay a lot, and what we call the penguin stance, which is the description of what the bird can stand like when the condition is severe.

The other condition is called ascites, commonly known as water belly. This feels different to eyp, more squishy. This is caused by a fluid build up in the abdomen, caused by circulation problems and a weak heart. Usually accompanied by the comb turning very purple which is also a sign of circulatory problems (just purple a the tips or edges can be a sign of general unwellness.) It can have a side effect of causing breathing problems, as the fluid build up adds pressure on the internal organs and lungs. I have heard of people draining the abdomen to give the bird some relief, but again because it's linked to an underlying condition it usually reoccurs.

I've never done it myself and to be honest I'd prefer a vet did it, as I'd be worried about infection at the site. But of course not everyone may be able to go to the vets. If you do decide to give it a go yourself, here's a link:

http://forum.thepoultrysite.com/discuss ... nt/119824/

Would somewhere like Bots have syringes? Or maybe you could even ask a vet for some.

Keep an eye on the fluid - if you say her belly is hot, that would imply there's some infection, so she would need antibiotics which means the vets unless you have a stock at home.

Good luck, and let us know how you get on with her {hug}
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

If a Hybrid , it could be tumors . Unfortunately vet bills and sometimes not a good result.
Best wishes but as said a chicken keepers nightmare.
manda

Post by manda »

I will give many things a go but I have to be honest this is one thing I wouldn't be doing ...there is too much that can go wrong.

Whatever you do I hope your girl stays comfortable, a hard one for you.
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 4 dogs, 6 cats, a cow, a few sheep, Angora Goats and ???? chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny