Crowing already!

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
gardenergirl
Lively Laner

Crowing already!

Post by gardenergirl »

My little 6 1/2 week old bantam chicks are getting quite big now, but I was still surprised this morning to hear what sounded like strangled cries of pain coming from downstairs (they live in the sitting room for the moment). I ran downstairs expecting some terrible scene, but instead found Hopalong doing this...

https://youtu.be/00zT56pafQo

(Excuse the terrible state of the room. I was told chicks were dusty... they really are!)

manda

Re: Crowing already!

Post by manda »

{rofwl} {rofwl}
I had the same the other day...we had this beautiful little bantam that I was hoping was going to be a hen....but in the last 2 weeks tail feathers and that strangled cockadoodle {rofwl}
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 4 dogs, 6 cats, a cow, a few sheep, Angora Goats and ???? chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

ha ha! that takes me back, sigh! I loved this part of hatching, once the mum had abandoned them & they slept in the house. I found the boys were the tamest ones. How many boys do you have?
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
gardenergirl
Lively Laner

Post by gardenergirl »

The boys are definitely the tamest ones! Especially that one, he's very bold. I have 6 chicks altogether - 4 Pekins and 2 bearded slikies. 3 of the Pekins are boys, and I suspect 1 of the silkies. That's going by behaviour more than appearance though (I know silkies are hard to s.ex). One 'chest bumps' with the other boys, and is more forward than the other one, like the Pekin boys.

I'm really attached to all of them now, so I'll see how long they'll tolerate each other. I want to keep them all!
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Hi , space and places to run around and get up out the way . I had 4 boys that lived together . They had their disputes , but mostly got on well. As they are brought up together , they will get a pecking order and then just except it . If you introduce a new one it is then a fighting match which can get nastie.
Bob