Loner

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
Crazycoop
Lively Laner

Loner

Post by Crazycoop »

Hi Laners

I have not posted for a long time but check out the forum from time to time.
I have a issue with a hen that seems to have stumped me and would appreciate the input from the forum.
I added to my flock recently (5 weeks ago) and one of the birds is a beautiful Rhode Island Red Bantam.
She has integrated herself into the flock reasonable well even though she seems to be a bit of a loner and prefers her own company, which does not concern me because as we all know they all have their own personalities.
What I do find a little concerning is she seem to have become very lethargic and with drawn, she spends a lot of time in the nesting box but as of yet she has not laid any eggs. I have given her some tonic and a good examination, she does not seem to be egg bound and she shows no sign of egg peritonitis. All told she seems to be reasonably healthy, feather and comb are in really good condition.
I was told she was coming to Point-of-Lay when I purchased her but to be honest I thought she was older than I was told, due to the fact that she had already developed a beautiful comb and waffles as red as Dorothy's shoes.

All thoughts appreciated

Chelle

KarenE
Legendary Laner

Re: Loner

Post by KarenE »

Hi

What's her general behaviour like when she's not in the nest Box? And when she is on the nest, is she flattened out, and a bit feisty when you disturb her? Is she sitting on other eggs?

She may either just be appreciating a bit of peace & quiet in the coop, getting ready to lay herself or she could even be broody, although it's late in the season now and she may be a touch too young, but its possible
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

If its any reassurance one of my latest ex farm hens often sits in the nestbox for a while but rarely produces an egg, she's been doing this for months, but otherwise she is healthy & energetic. I'd be more concerned about the sitting around on her own. There may be a clue in her poops, are they normal? Has she been wormed recently?
Also, when you hold her does she feel especially hot underneath? & is her vent sort of "pulsing" all the time?
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
Crazycoop
Lively Laner

Post by Crazycoop »

Hi KarenE & Kilta

I have had broody hens in the past and she does not seem to be acting as if she is broody, she has been flubaveted recently and her poops seem normal. But she does sit hunched in a slight squat position and she does look like her vent is pulsing what does this mean.

Chelle
Crazycoop
Lively Laner

Post by Crazycoop »

I would say she has all the symptoms of an egg bound hen, but she has been like this for a few weeks and if she was truly egg bound she would surely become very ill and died.

Chelle
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

she couldnt produce normal poop if she had a stuck egg. If she looks more comfortable after she's had a sit in the nestbox, it could be she's laying softies & eating them? Check the bedding when she comes out to see if its damp or sticky, or even better, try & catch her in the act! When their vent pulses they are generally trying to expel something.
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

As Kitty says. Sometimes if they are breathing heavily it can look like their vent is pulsing but it's actually their breathing. Is she breathing heavily? Can you hear any crackling or sniffling at all?

You don't say what her behaviour is like when she is off the nest, and does she get off the nest much?
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper