Geese - two unexpected additions!

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Re: Geese - two unexpected additions!

Post by Richard »

I'm sure they will take good care of you Trev - and vice versa.

Richard )t' )t'
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome

Trev62
Legendary Laner

Post by Trev62 »

Growing fast and discovering what water is for!!

Having some fun with these two :-D

Hope this works as first attempt using this imgbox thingy!!
"Not all those who wander are lost"
ChickenCarol
Longlasting Laner

Post by ChickenCarol »

They are growing up fast. They still look adorable though.
Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

Can't believe how much they have grown. They are definitely still adorable.
Trev62
Legendary Laner

Post by Trev62 »

Today we built a secure pen in our barn for the geese to sleep in overnight, it is about time they left the comfort of our porch for their own abode. Have you ever tried to make a goose go where it does not want to?? I thought chickens were bad but these had us running up and down, left and right, round in circles it was crazy! We actually have them "trained" to follow us around and sit with us during the day, come when called and happily be picked up and fussed but all that went out of the window as they run us ragged screeching and flapping their wings as they headed back to "their" porch and nestled down. In the end we carried them and put them in so from tomorrow they will be fed outside the new pen in the evening, bribery normally works!! :-D
Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

Good luck - they sound like real characters. How lovely to have them that "friendly" with you. I am very envious as I would love a pair of geese if I had enough land.
Trev62
Legendary Laner

Post by Trev62 »

So we now have our two geese happily heading to their nightly abode in the barn after enjoying their evening meal at the barn entrance. We sit and have a chat with them for as long as they want then when they get bored with our conversation they go to bed, not sure we actually understand each other but we head off in our different directions quite happy!

We are learning all the time with these birds, I always thought geese were bullies but these two?? Well they came out the other morning after some overnight rain and refused to cross a puddle of water on the path as they had never seen it there before! We had to carry them over it!! So much for tough brave and fearless water fowl!! We left a hose out again across the same path and once again they refused to cross it, the hose had to be moved before they would progress to the garden where they spend their day.

Thankfully they are settling in with our chickens, rabbits and dogs though on a few occasions they have come screeching up to us with a beakful of rabbit fur, a few harsh words and the odd kick from Percy has sorted that issue out, now during the day they like to chill out often as not in one of our dog's beds.......

Their winter day shelter/pen should be completed this week now that will be another challenge getting them to use that!