Another 250 girls find new homes

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
sandy
Legendary Laner

Another 250 girls find new homes

Post by sandy »

Being always short on volunteers for the Bristol rehoming for bhwt I roped in my friend to help put. She is not keen on hens and would not want to touch one (unless it was on her plate) but very kindly gave up her sunday to assist us. We gave her an excellent job for someone who has worked in the financial industry and her work with the police involved speaking to members of the public on all situations so doing the registrations and taking the money suited her down to the ground. She also supplied us with drinks and biccies in the lulls between rehoming and surprised both me and herself by throughly enjoying the day. She had heard me banging on enough about the state some of the girls are in but seeing it first hand she was shocked at all the bare botties, crooked beaks and lack on feathers. Some of the girls had absolutely no feathers on their wings at all! We had only one poorly who looked like she would be okay being rehomed with a vet nurse which was brilliant, how hardy these girls are. It was lovely to see some of them 'dustbathing' in chiipped straw, one girls was only visible by her head. We put 125 in one stable to rehome first , the other 125 in the stable next door.
My other friend had booked 6 hens for me to take to her near Gloucester. I said I would have the 6 left from the first stable as didnt want to choose, but 2 did choose themselves. One light gingery girl was so relaxed when I picked her up (ok when I lunged at her) as was another one later on so I put a bit of purple spray on their backs to save with the remaining 4 left in that stable. Naturally quite a few times when I went to grab a girl for the rehomers one of the purples just stood waiting to be scooped up again for a cuddle!
If they are doing a rehome in you area please give it a go….you may have legs that feel like you have been riding bareback for 2 days but you will be filled with immense joy )t'
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/

albertajune
Legendary Laner

Re: Another 250 girls find new homes

Post by albertajune »

What lovely caring people you and the other volenteers are Sandy. I hope that all the chickens have found homes, or will do soon. {hug}
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

How lovely to give these poor girls a proper life. Well done to you and your team. )like(
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Wonderful. I must come down and give you a hand one of these days )t'

Did any purples find their way into your coop??? +f+
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Hi Sandy could bring some left overs on Sat 9th when we meet . Always a soft spot for these girls.
Bob
KathJ
Longlasting Laner

Post by KathJ »

)like( Well done to all the volunteers )t'
Kath xx

Mum to my beautiful girls Lucy, Holly, Rosie, Hettie, Polly, Ruby, Lily, Penny, Gracie, Maisie, Molly, Evie and my gorgeous boy Toby

RIP my beautiful Ranger, Roxy, Bluebelle, Poppy, Speckle, Daisy and Honey xxxx