It's Jam making time !!!

Recipes, Cooking tips and maybe some 'Home Made' secrets !
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

It's Jam making time !!!

Post by Richard »

What you all doing either from the Garden or the Wild ?

Any unusual recipes, please post a separate thread.

Richard )t' )t'
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
HedgeHugger
Legendary Laner

Re: It's Jam making time !!!

Post by HedgeHugger »

I've still got jam from 2013, one jar open, another waiting in the cupboard. So no jam making this year for me, probably anyway :)
I will probably make cordial again though (blackberry).
manda

Post by manda »

I have a load of jam too but I keep making more because if need be I give it away.

I make small amounts too of different flavours (I am still loving my Jam maker :-D )

I tend to get fruit pick by season - same if I'm buying.
I also like trying unusual preserves so though the winter especially I spend my time looking for the unusual recipes...and then I make them in the jam maker in small amounts (just in case they are horrible {rofwl} )

I thought this year I'd give Cucumber Jelly a go...it looks beautiful and apparently has a really cucumbery taste (well you'd hope). The other one is Bacon and Bourbon "jam"...anything with bacon has to be good I would think.
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 4 dogs, 6 cats, a cow, a few sheep, Angora Goats and ???? chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

I am normally busy right now with jam making. OH when here would go into the field opposite us and come back laden with blackberries which was mainly for jam.I don't eat enough jam myself to warrant making it in bulk.
When the apple tree that grows among them has fruit ready to pick, I might make a couple of jars of apple and ginger which I love.
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
manda

Post by manda »

To be honest June neither do we but I like to have a variety so making small amounts of lots of different flavours as the seasons roll over works quite well.....

I haven't had blackberry jam forever....I'm going to have to sort that out this year.

Apple and Ginger...I'm going to have to make - I have only recently got a taste for Ginger (no idea why) so I usually make with Cinnamon...I'll have to give Ginger a go
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 4 dogs, 6 cats, a cow, a few sheep, Angora Goats and ???? chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
wildlifemad
Lively Laner

Post by wildlifemad »

We have fruit in the freezer at the moment as we run out of time to make from fresh. At some point we will be making Strawberry jam as we are on our last jar & Apple & Blackberry jelly is on the list. I have a friend who loves it but has no idea how long jelly takes to make, she phoned me yesterday morning to say her redundancy will definitely go ahead (she has chosen it) so I said when she gets bored she can make some jelly herself to see how long it takes, she didn't like that idea said it's best left to the experts!! (I hope she meant us!!!)
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

HedgeHugger wrote:I've still got jam from 2013, one jar open, another waiting in the cupboard. So no jam making this year for me, probably anyway :)
I will probably make cordial again though (blackberry).

There is one jar in my cupboard that's more than 2 yrs old. I've tried to use it but can't get the lid off. And more than enough from last year, + fruit in the freezer in case I need to top up.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
HedgeHugger
Legendary Laner

Post by HedgeHugger »

Try releasing the seal on the lid with a tablespoon handle (most sturdy in my opinion). Slide it into the little gap by the jar thread/lid and lever a little.
Unless it's glued with jam (might as well be superglue). Upside down in hot water to melt?, Just the lid area, not the whole jar.
Trev62
Legendary Laner

Post by Trev62 »

And if all else fails....a quick stab with a sturdy knife through the lid releases all the pressure and then a simple twist does the trick!
"Not all those who wander are lost"
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

I may resort to that or an old fashion lethal tin-opener
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

I have never made jam. I used to eat bought jam many years ago, but I gave it up completely because there is far too much sugar in it. There is no jam in my house. :-D

Ilona
manda

Post by manda »

Meanqueen wrote:I have never made jam. I used to eat bought jam many years ago, but I gave it up completely because there is far too much sugar in it. There is no jam in my house. :-D
Ilona

I often make freezer jam for that very reason. Generally, it will keep in the fridge for two weeks (because it doesn't have the preserving property that the sugar does) so I put it into small containers - leave one in the fridge and the rest goes into the freezer.

Berries are good for making freezer jam (well except strawberries) because they have natural pectin so you can produce a reasonable spreadable preserve just by boiling the fruit - but if you want to make something a bit thicker then adding gelatin will do the job and make the variety you can make wider.
You can add sugar if you want in whatever quantity, or something like stevia...or nothing if the fruit is sweet.
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

Freezer jam, without sugar, that's a good idea. I bought a lot of cheap reduced strawberries a couple of weeks ago, and couldn't eat them all before they became soft, so I laid them in a plastic tray and froze them. I took a few out to have with my breakfast cereal, they were thawed in five minutes, and tasted fine. I could have spread them on bread.

Ilona
manda

Post by manda »

)like(
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

jacquih
Longlasting Laner

Post by jacquih »

I made plum jam from some windfalls I got given,but I don't do the traditional saucepan on stove method,but use the microwave instead,so easy least,and so clean,I make marmalade from marmade using this way too,does anybody else do this?
Jacquih :-D