Chicken in a tree

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
Moomin Baggins
Learner Laner

Chicken in a tree

Post by Moomin Baggins »

Hi,
I've kept chickens for over 15 years now, just 3 in a nice big area in the garden with trees.
I recently got two new chickens and one chicken decided she would rather sleep high in a tree rather than go into the coop.
I thought maybe she was getting bullied by the older girls, so bought a second small coop, but she still goes into the tree.
One of the other chickens moved into the new coop, so they had a coop each.
Now the other two have decided to peach on the roof if one of the coops overnight.
They all look healthy, lay an egg a day.
I see no signs of rodent activity.

As winter comes I think they really would be better off inside at night.
Anyone any insights or ideas of why this is happening and what I should do?

Thanks
Becky

ChickenCarol
Longlasting Laner

Re: Chicken in a tree

Post by ChickenCarol »

Have you checked the coop for red mite as that would stop the girls going in the coop to roost. The other thing that it could be is that they want a higher roost. It may not be much help to you but years ago I had a mix of standard girls and bantams and they too roosted on the coop roof. It became a habit that I couldn't break and I was lifting them down each night and putting them in. Eventually I did away with the coop and bought a shed which we adapted for the chickens. We made the perches higher than in the coop. From then on the girls have always gone to bed themselves. Now I have all bantams but have never had that problem again.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Hi, welcome the Lane. Good to have new members. I guess that, if she can get into a tree they aren't in an enclosed run. So I agree, best to shut them in a coop at night. Foxes are always hungry. Mine used to sleep on top of their hut and I thought a 6' high enclosure was safe, but the fox found a way in.
What breed is your tree rooster? I had a White Star (I think they are also called Leghorn) and she flew up high to a tree overhanging the run. From there she could have gone anywhere so I netted the top of the run.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Trev62
Legendary Laner

Post by Trev62 »

I know it does not help your situation but we have two coops that our various chickens wander off to at night, it is a case of any one will do, apart from one hen, she settles on top of the gate post every night and stays there until lifted of and placed into a coop. I think she just does it for the extra cuddle and contact she gets every night, not sure if this will continue once winter arrives but a thunderstorm and a downpour of rain does not change her behavior she is still to be found on top of her watch tower. Strange creature!
"Not all those who wander are lost"
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Hi , Not sure if I should say this here , Wing clipping may stop her getting up high . She may then get out of the habit and settle in the coop . Then let them grow back.
I await the on debate on wing clipping no doubt . But if it saves their lives maybe a good thing .
Bob
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

bikesandbirdsbob wrote:..... Wing clipping may stop her getting up high . She may then get out of the habit and settle in the coop . ....
Bob

It may, it may not. I had one that used to jump over the 4' flocknet, wing clipping stopped her for a while & I thought cured her, but later I saw her - a crouch then jump from standing start, and over. And I had to cut off more than the pictures on EGLU show - just the wing tips had no effect.
I expect people know that the idea is to trim just ONE wing, and being unbalanced puts them off flying.

Some people are strongly against it, some say be careful as you may damage them if you cut too far. I preferred not too but did sometimes.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Ah., they'll do and go where they want to, I've found them on my Cycle handlebars !

I agree with the Fox situation, foxes climb well, I had one who climbed a tree next to the run and jumped in Needless to say it did it's deed and I found it trapped in the Run the next morning.
I let it go of course, my fault for not 'thinking fox'.

Whatever, best to try and keep them safe and sound indoors if possible.

Richard )t( )t(
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
ChickenCarol
Longlasting Laner

Post by ChickenCarol »

I agree with Richard. A bantam, breeder, told me that sometimes his birds would roost in a tree and he couldn't get them in. He said that the fox would get them at first light when they came down from the tree. It's always best to get them in if at all possible.