karen's chicken diary

Start your own thread and let us follow you through the year
Mo
Legendary Laner

Re: karen's chicken diary

Post by Mo »

The picture near the top of this page puzzled me. Was Rexie sitting on another hen? Ah no - it's a red leaf not a comb!
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire

sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Hmm Dory has the look of a Woo crossed with a Dory as in Finding Dory {rofwl}
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

It does look like that Mo!!

Lovely weekend weather wise, and lots of time spent in the garden either sitting around with the girls or actuially doing some gardening. I have to say, compared to previous girls, these two (and Chestnut was the same|) are rubbish gardeners! Remie used to love helping me round the garden, as did her posse, and Nugget and crew before her.

Marley is loving being outside. She keeps dashing in the house, meowing at us to come outside with her and she loves it when I'm outside. She was rolling roudn teh floor and I was tickling her tum, when I tickled the wrong place by acccident and she crabbed me with her claws, but only for a minute and no real harm done. But it didn't stop Tiddly, who was on the other side of me, giving her a very low growl and making a clucking beeling for her! Just like Nugget used to

In fact she is remimnding me so much of Nugget. She looks like her, now that her feathers are grown through on her head (except Nugget's feathers were much lighter) and she even decided to sunbathe next to me on the grass with her head on my leg just like Nugget and Cassie used to! Never had anyone since them do that.

Beautiful photos of course, first of Marley:
Image Image Image

One of Dory Grey:

And showing off her new splendour, Tiddly Widdly:
Image Image Image Image

Look at those head feathers! Here's what she looked like when she first came home:

And here's a pic of Nugget, can you see the resemblance?
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

Lovely photo's Karen. Marley and the girls are gorgeous.
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Stunning photos of Marley )like( you are really a very good photographer.
Nugget also resembles my first girl Alice, how lucky you are another snuggly, Honey doesnt need my lap now she needs safety from any others!
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce

KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

All good at my place. Not much time to post at the moment as have guests with us for a week. The girls are doing well, enjoying the very good weather. The guests are highly entertained by them! Marley is less entertained by the guests and has disappeared, only coming in late at night when everyone has gone to bed although she did come and sleep in our room all night last night as her beds are all occupied by guests! She has taken to bringing in live mice though. She is proving quite the little hunter, but doesn't waste the mice - they are gobbled up, sometimes she will slice and dice first. Left a right mess at the back of the computer!
Karen
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

yike* sliced and diced mice yike* yuck yuck yuck, but she is showing what a good girl she is and how well she has settled in.
My Bouncie hated visitors, used to hide under my bed!

KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Marley is eking out the summer for as long as she can, staying out for as long as possible. She reclaimed her bed from the guests today (the guests have been gone a week!) and has joined me on the couch a few times so it looks like she's back to normal ish.

Dory Grey is suddenly having an explosive moult. My goodness, when she decides to moult she goes full blast at it! There are feathers everywhere including in the utility room as a sort of breadcrumb trail. We can tell exactly where she's been. And she's gone even more skittish. One of her feathers fell out earlier and scared her half to death! Ridiculous girl {rofwl}

I'm a bit worried about Tiggs. She's looked very down today, poos looking a bit odd and tail down, so I gave her some Tylan in case she's got a bit of infection going on. Her moult has finished, so I am wondering whether she's revving up to lay again - I couldn't feel anything like a softie though. She's still eating fine. She still is insisting on lots of snuggles.

Looking forward to Friday!
Karen
amber66
Longlasting Laner

Post by amber66 »

Come on Tiggs stop worrying your mum >fi<
Amber.
HenPen
Longlasting Laner

Post by HenPen »

I hope Tigs is feeling better today, Karen.

Lovely to meet you yesterday. {hug}
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Yes you too HP, I hope we get to do it again some day! )t'

I am about to go out and spend some time with Tiggs, now that the rain has stopped. Hubby reported she was covered in bugs yesterday - he was quite grossed out as they had dropped on him while she was preening (she likes to sit on his knee while he's having a ciggie, not good for her lungs I'm sure!) so she and Dory Grey - who still has her 2 remaining tail feathers - were ninjad last night with harkermectin, so hopefully that will sort them out. Perhaps that has been making her feel miserable too, but I;m keeping up with the tylan too in case she has a low level infection.
Karen
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

Oh dear, poor Tiggs, perhaps a bit of metacam might help (certainly perked Daisy up) I think moulting knocks their health. oooh what sort of bugs?
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Lice. We had a good sit down and I had a good prowl around her feathers but there's nothing skittering around and she left a few tiny dead ones behind when she shifted so it looks like the harkermectin has done its job. I've got more on order so I'll do them again next weekend. They can happen so fast - I checked her feathers a few days ago for lice and there was no sign of any eggs on the shafts

I'm keeping her on the tylan, metacam might not be a bad idea. There was a little lash in the nestbox, and her poos seem a bit more normal so hopefully that was it. Fingers crossed no more lashes >fi<

Coop has been de-d as well, and I've popped some ACV in the water. I'll try Bob's marigold leaves too. )t'
Karen
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Great news about Tiddly lets hope that as the problem, still lots of >fi< until she is fully out the woods

HenPen
Longlasting Laner

Post by HenPen »

>fi< >fi<
I'm so glad it seems things are looking up for your little pie-loving revolooootionary.