Getting New Girls!!

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
KathJ
Longlasting Laner

Getting New Girls!!

Post by KathJ »

Preparation is now underway to welcome some new girls to our diminished flock of 2 )like( We weren't going to get them until spring as we need to make the run bigger but after losing our Speckle a few weeks ago we decided to take the plunge now as our two girls look so lost. Also, if we have a harsh winter it'll be better if there are more to snuggle up and if we lost either Lucy or Daisy we don't want one to be left on their own. So, on Saturday we put together the new coop that we've had for about 2 years but after deciding we were going to move and then moving we never got round to putting it up and increasing the flock. It went together really well so we even managed to get it in place for Saturday night, the two girls look so lost as it's much bigger than the old one. Says 12-16 but I wouldn't put that many in but it should be fine for the 7 (ish!!) we planning on having. We've put the old coop out in the run for the newbies so on Saturday we just need to split up the run. Hopefully having the separate coop will make the whole introduction process a bit easier. It was so stressful last time {cry} but we only had the one coop so had to get them all in there to sleep and then be up early to supervise and separate them again in the morning.
I'm just trying to contact the farm now to make sure they'll have some Point-of-Lay for us to pick up on Saturday. It'll be so nice to have some new girls running about {cry} )t'
Kath xx

Mum to my beautiful girls Lucy, Holly, Rosie, Hettie, Polly, Ruby, Lily, Penny, Gracie, Maisie, Molly, Evie and my gorgeous boy Toby

RIP my beautiful Ranger, Roxy, Bluebelle, Poppy, Speckle, Daisy and Honey xxxx

Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Re: Getting New Girls!!

Post by Cheshire Chick »

Good luck with the new girls - sounds like an exciting time ahead for you. I agree that having another coop should make the integration much easier. When I got Rose and Violet I kept them in a large dog crate (as I didn't have a spare coop) and separated the run into two so that they had their own space but could still see each other. The noise Mary made for a week was unbelievable but I think taking it cautiously and separated initially was the best way to go. Be lovely to see some photo's of your new girls and new coop.
ChickenCarol
Longlasting Laner

Post by ChickenCarol »

It will be lovely to add some more girls to your flock. I know integrations can be difficult but it will be worth it when you have your new increased flock. I look forward to hearing how it goes and what girls you get.
KathJ
Longlasting Laner

Post by KathJ »

Well the new girls have arrived )t' As predicted we ended up with 7, you forget how tiny they are when you first get Point-of-Lay. We have Rosie and Holly who are Cheshire Blues (supposed to lay blue eggs but we already have Lucy who's eggs are white so we'll have to see!!) Hettie and Lily who are Barred Rocks, Ruby is a Black Tail and Polly and Honey who are Red Stars. Polly already seems to be the one to watch and a little monkey! All seems to be going fine so far (touch wood). Lucy and Daisy weren't happy when they first arrived especially Lucy but she's been bottom hen since we had her so she'd probably letting them know she's not standing for it anymore. Yesterday seemed calmer and quieter and it's so much less stressful having them in a separate coop at night. Ruby has already laid two eggs and she does seem to be a bit older than the others. Let's hope it's still harmonious when I get home tonight >dum< I'll try to post some pictures but the ones I've taken already are a bit blurred so I'll have to have another go. It's so nice having a full run again )like(
Kath xx

Mum to my beautiful girls Lucy, Holly, Rosie, Hettie, Polly, Ruby, Lily, Penny, Gracie, Maisie, Molly, Evie and my gorgeous boy Toby

Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

I'm interested in your 'Cheshire Blue'. I had a one and I think it was the name the breeder (at Kingsley nr Frodsham Cheshire) used for his own cross. It was part Maran (part Rhode Island???) and a chunky 'dual purpose' hen (though the meat might not appeal to pet-hen keepers). Don't think it was meant to lay blue eggs. Grey feathers.
Probably yours is not the same.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

Glad that you are enjoying your new girls. Hope it all stays harmonious for you as it can be a stressful time (for us owners) but you seem to have it all under control. I love all their names. Look forward to your photo's. )like(
ChickenCarol
Longlasting Laner

Post by ChickenCarol »

At the start of my chicken keeping I had a chalkhill blue. She was named by the breeder and did lay blue eggs. I have since had bantam brown leghorns and they looked identical but laid white eggs so I think often these are crosses to give a certain egg colour and are named after where the breeder lives.
amber66
Longlasting Laner

Post by amber66 »

Exciting times. I love their names.
Enjoy.
Amber.
KathJ
Longlasting Laner

Post by KathJ »

Kath xx

KathJ
Longlasting Laner

Post by KathJ »

Not the best pictures I'm afraid - bit blurred.
Mo - we had out first girls 5 years ago from that place at Kingsley - small world!! We didn't get our first Cheshire Blue from there though, these girls are pretty small as you can see from Lucy and the new ones Holly and Lily. We've had these girls from Shropshire Poultry, only 5 minutes from where we live now and another small world is that the man there moved there 8 years ago from the same road that we used to live in in Haslington, Cheshire across the road and few doors away from us!
Kath xx

Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Your Cheshire Blues look nothing like Mary-Jane (my C Blue).
The Kingsley place was run by someone who bred various crosses (and bought in some too). When he retired it was taken over by (I think) a nephew, who didn't breed, just bought birds in. From a place near Nantwich called Creag mhor, I think. And he diversified into shooting or something.
I've had some good hens from Creag mhor too. Oh, and guess what - they breed the Cheshire Blue.
Maybe mine was called Kingsley Blue, thinking about it.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
KathJ
Longlasting Laner

Post by KathJ »

Hi Mo, Creag Mhor was where we had our last girls from including Lucy - spooky coincidence yike*
Kath xx

Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

What beautiful girls Kath. We separated our run, and OH made a small hut for the newbies. Our three older girls bullied them dreadfully, though we tried to integrate them in a large run outside of their own space. It took seven weeks until they settled together, and little Rosie never laid, I often wonder if it was because of the initial problems.
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Kath they look beautiful )like( time to get back on you diary so we can follow their new wonderful lives with you
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
KathJ
Longlasting Laner

Post by KathJ »

Well it's been two weeks since we had our new girls and they'd been in the run which we'd split in two to keep them separate from Daisy and Lucy so on Saturday we decided it was time for a spot of integration yike* We left it until about 5ish so they'd only have a couple of hours before bedtime and if everything went OK we'd try them all in the same coop. We took half of the netting down and low and behold all was calm and harmonious so we decided to take it all down and open the run completely. They spent a couple of happy hours exploring the new area with only minimal pecks from Daisy and Lucy. Lucy was probably the worst because she's always been bottom girl but the little ones could easily outrun her or fly up a bit higher out of the way. Bedtime wasn't too bad either, Daisy did a bit of patrolling at the door and wouldn't let them in but we picked her up until they were all in and then snook her in when it was dark. They all survived Saturday night and yesterday and bedtime last night were pretty much the same. To be honest we're amazed, relieved and very pleased at how they're all getting on. Let hope everything's still OK when I get home tonight >fi<
Kath xx