The Hedgehogs are feeding up!!

All free living creatures around our Homes & Gardens - enjoying helping them helping us
wildlifemad
Lively Laner

The Hedgehogs are feeding up!!

Post by wildlifemad »

We've been putting the camera trap out for the last week & are at last getting to grips with it, we set it to video for 1 minute at a time. Anyway, we have at least 2 hogs (there is an obvious size difference) coming every night & eating half a tin of cat food & a bowl of cat biscuits! Loading up for winter!! There is also a cat that visits most nights but can't get in the feeding station but Saturday night saw him catch one of the wood mice who live in the wood pile, I suppose he's keeping the population down as long as he doesn't have them all as they are funny to watch!
Anybody else got the hogs feeding like mad?
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Re: The Hedgehogs are feeding up!!

Post by Richard »

Great news !

Not long before they batten down the hatches

Richard )t' )t'
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Not long before I do if it's going to be like today.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
wildlifemad
Lively Laner

Post by wildlifemad »

Totally agree Mo! What a grotty old day its been! Hogs are still filling up, picked up more tins of cat food on Wednesday!!
We are rubbish with technology but are going to try & download the pictures to the laptop so we can see them a bit better & try & work out how many hogs we have (we are certain of 2 because of size difference). The wildlife camera we have is an Aldi Maginon & it seems from reading Hedgehog forums & blogs that the instructions really aren't very clear but everyone says that when they work them out, its a better camera than ones they've bought at twice the price so perhaps we're not quite as stupid as we think!
wildlifemad
Lively Laner

Post by wildlifemad »

Still got 2 hogs visiting but am dismayed to see that someone in the neighbourhood has marked the 2 that are coming. One has 2 big dots on it bottom & the other has 2 big lines. Reading the Hedgehog forum people put all sorts of marks on them with things like spray paint & nail varnish! Please, if you read this just be thankful you have hogs visiting your garden, don't start marking them to try & work out how many you have.
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

My friend volunteers at a local hedgehog rescue. They have lots of hogs over wintering and need foster homes for them. My friend has four pens in her garage, some more coming, and she will feed them daily to build them up ready for release next spring.

Ilona
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

Winter home for two more hoggies. Donated rabbit hutch turned into apartments. We stripped out most of the inside and used new wood to convert it. New door added, new fine mesh added, not brand new, second hand materials that we already had. The floor will be covered in lino. Helen is taking this job of hoggy mummy very seriously.

Ilona
wildlifemad
Lively Laner

Post by wildlifemad »

That's great MQ!! It's a good job there are people out there who care. When we have had poorly hogs in the past I take them to Vale wildlife hospital near us who are great & then have them back when recovered & usually get another one into the bargain. I always support them & donate to their charity shop & give them food for the hogs.
We still have at least 2 hogs visiting each night (see them on the camera) so will keep an eye on them.
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

Helen has now got another four pens, and two of the largest hogs have been moved into the re designed pen. She now has 10 to look after, and guess who is getting the job when she goes on holiday. >fi<

Ilona
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

and what a great job you have Ilona - well done !!

So nice to see these wonderful creatures have many human friends.

Richard )t' )t'
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
wildlifemad
Lively Laner

Post by wildlifemad »

Just as I thought the Hogs had gone to bed it looks like there is still one coming to feed, I had kept putting food out although we hadn't had any for a week or so but the last couple of nights the food has been partly eaten & although I don't have the camera out to confirm it he/she has left us a couple of messages in the border that are nice & fresh to confirm they are the ones eating the food. I may put the camera out as I am concerned in case it's a small hog that may not be heavy enough to survive winter hibernation. I read the other day that our local wildlife rescue hospital has about 250 hogs in now for winter so I must pop along with some more food for them, it all helps.