My attempt to keep chickens.

Start your own thread and let us follow you through the year
sandy
Legendary Laner

Re: My attempt to keep chickens.

Post by sandy »

AwBob so sorry to hear you have lost a girl, good for her to go in your arms {hug&kiss}
Yes Louise Ped does make weird duck like noises like Pompom, weird cause Thelma and Silkiebabe dont and didnt
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/

KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

How sad, so sorry to hear this Bob. You tried, but you know there's probably nothing you could have done {hug}
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

Sorry to hear that you have lost one of your new girls Bob. It is always sad and doesn't get any easier. Thank goodness she spent some time in your care.
amber66
Longlasting Laner

Post by amber66 »

Hello Bob.
Sorry to hear that one of your girls has passed over the bridge.
Amber. {hug}
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Hi all and Sandy , Well here we go again , vet shares are going up again thanks to my contributions .... (7.99 pounds for a jab only so not that bad 24 pounds for 3 visits.)
Well Harley is back after her op , leg was being licked sore , big squash from vet and blood fluid squirted out onto the floor. Metacam 3 days and a jab every 3 days 3 times.
Got home and Frog has bad eyes again. So Dog cage out , Metacam , Tylan , Baytril and kitchen rest and spoiling .
Booked her in for Monday night with Harley .
rest of the flock , including Chops , Quaker , naught girls , Morning , Pom Pom , Penelope 2 , , Goldie broody , Chocolate STILL broody , Lit al n lively and defending any eggs she can find , Joan broody (same area as Choc) Club going to the vets again soon to have her claws done . Desmond must be quite as I cannot hear him at work....
Champ competing for noisiest boy , Capt. Chaos getting the hang of inviting the hens round the back of the compost bin. Penelope and 2 ring red (naught girl ) love fish food sticks , Goldie 2 moulting and feathers growing back nicely . Ghost the white hen still very lively , so many other girls that are named but not mentioned , flock now 39 , (last count ) .
As long as Frog pulls through her eyes again all will be well in the Flock of Penelope and Red .
Bob
Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

Glad to hear all is well in the house of Bob. Hope Frog's eyes go on ok. Don't the chooks just love those floating fish sticks. Rose & Violet chase my husband around the garden for them when he feeds his pond fish. They are one of their very favourite treats. I suppose a few at a time will not do any harm??!! The chickens love them more than the fish.
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

I tried to pretend to throw their pellets in and see if they would eat them , no chance . Not stupid for sure.
Frogs eye on the right side is still sticky . Cleaned up . tylan in water , metacam and baytril as well .
She has been in the dog cage all day as well . Eating , not seen drinking but sure she is /will. Put a perch of wood in it so as she does not have to balance on cardboard box Baby blanket over her stop any draughts .
Looked the girls up and guess what , Quaker was in the kitchen with her . Put Quaker in the run for the night.
Harley metacam again one more then just the Monday jab followed by 3 day later jab.
Frog replied to Desmond`s calling .
Desmond due to keep me company in the morning again .
Try and get a photo if I am a wake enough.
With Sunny Clucker .
Bob
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi all , Well last race of season , back to the flock with no distractions.
New job for a week Export Dept. my bit for BRITAIN..., So we will see how much time I get to myself .... (non work related.)
Flock locked up at the moment in the run .
Desmond 4.00 am with me again , alarm at 5.30 am . Kitchen for 20 mins. then run.
I think he is enjoying the company of the dogs , cats and me .....
Frog to vets tonight , seems a little better, Molting another trouble , vasolined her legs as scales look a bit up , feathers on her legs does not help. . Get her a jab . Harley will have another jab and leg emptied of fluid no doubt.
Chops still wandering about , Quaker is ok , the way she runs to the dog bowl.
Bob
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi all , Had a sort of a lay in this morning .Desmond started as usual 4.15 am . Next door neighbor left at 4.30 am on his motor bike .
Got Desmond at 4.15 am to bed . Did not make a noise till well after 5.00 am . Got up at 5.30 am . Did not have to be at work till 7.00 am (Perk ) So late leaving I let the flock out into the garden at 6.30 am . I think they appreciated it .
Took Harley and Frog to vets last night.Harley passing with flying colours Jab and another Thursday.Frog was a very lively girl . I forgot to say pick her up by claws and she would be happy . Does not like her wings closed . She was a healthy 2.14 kilos . Surprised me as she looks a little girl.Eyes bad but on the mend . Got sulphatrim which she had before .
restocked whilst there with large bottle of Metacam , Baytril .
Total cost 49.00 pounds . Not bad med`s and the visit cost for Frog. Had a chat about chops and swollen under body. He agreed that if I brought her in all he could do was drain of any fluid and that might make her more comfortable . But whilst she can race to the kitchen leap the step and get to the dog bowl first I do not see any point. She is having a good end to life and that is all I ask of the flock . 9 eggs , had 1 from yesterday so still short of a dozen for the chap up the road . Got ten and 2 to follow today. 5 weeks to the health farm and peace and quiet for the street.
Hummimg and arring about putting the flock away from 15th Oct to the 13th Nov
Not fair to move back and forth . Visit before I go away so as to check them out . Process of giving them a health check make sure they give a good impression to the Hatchery.
Champ is the noisiest of the boys and really I should take him indoors with me at night and box him up so as he keepos quiet . But I like Desmond , good company. I worry he will peck my eyes out when I doze off . (Thanks to the warning of sunbathing in the garden with chickens , that was way back when the dirt was greenish.....
Amazing the stories you remember on this forum from the past .
The job I have got still gives me the opportunity to skip work during the day in the company Mondeo , bit of class against a transit crew bus.
Moved 2 ton of stones last night and glad of a lay in.
Hope all your flocks are well,
Bob
Flock of Penelope and Red , I still remember her now and miss her so much....
No girl replaced her so far .
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Bob you must look like you are carrying a bird of prey when holding Frog {rofwl} Glad she and Marley are ok, sure Chops will have a good end whatever with your care and love, you will know when she has had enough.
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi Sandy No , she is a tiddler compared to Desmond.
This morning a 4.30 am wake up call from Desmond.
Now to add front to his getting me up, (I was a wake at 4.00 am waiting for him ) ,
I got to his perch in the run , Held out my arm (Forearm ) . He literally jumped on to it , My arm went hand to support it with my right arm/hand . He turned round looked at me then the door .
Well he weighs a lot . If this is his new trick in the morning , I am going to have to go weights at the gym at work.Well off to the bad .
settled down and the alarm got me up. 5.50 am . I always live in hope of hearing it go off . started getting dressed for work. Desmond started crowing for his life , Light was on . So nearly tripped down the stairs getting him out in garden via Frogs dog cage . She was not happy with him towering above her on the top .
Finished doing my Trousers up and out he went with the hens close behind from the run. These late starts at work are doing the flock good as light enough to let them before I go to work. Polo the Staff refuses to sleep now with Desmond and goes off to the Television room .
She will not get up till at least 10.00 am for breakfast .
Desmond done a poo , first time on the rug on the bed . Not a big deal as plenty of clean rugs spare and it was bound to happen I suppose.
Least my bed is not got to be made .
Booking trip to Canada soon , 2018 get my holidays on the calendar early. East to West -Alaska and Whistler . Bit early to book the health farm as dates not exact yet.
hope every one is well .
Bob
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi all , bit naught this morning , turned over , well sort of as dogs on the bed and said shut up Desmond and fell back to sleep , he took the hint and started again at 5.10 am
Got up 5.45 am and let the flock out .
fed ,watered and told to get on with it. harley ate all the dog food so Polo will have no breakfast at 10 am . Frog still in dog cage seem happy in there and does not want to go in garden at all. Washed her eye last night . Still on tylan and Sulphatrim.
Not many eggs about and few got soon gone.
Bob
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi all , I cracked this morning after a 30 min wait had to get up and get Desmond .
Managed another 40 mins sleep , sort of . He the cheeky devil even complained when I turned the light on to get dressed. through him in the garden and let the others out half dressed.
Last of the lay ins as back on normal job from Sat am . Sunday working as well,
Interesting times at work . Frog out in garden yesterday afternoon . Let her out again today stretch her legs. Seems alot better . Want to make sure she is healed before she is let loose again . Must have a healthy flock in a few weeks as that is when the health farm worm them and give them the once over .
I was hoping Desmond would take the hint and sleep later in the morning as it is not light till gone 6.00 am . Dark enough at 7.00 pm for him to roost. maybe I should keep him awake till late in evening so he is tired more.
Bob
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi all , Back to normal , Desmond got me out of bed 4.30 am . Settled down as normal . He has the check , to peck me , more like a good poke , on the check because I snored .........I tell you he has got some nerve.
rest of the flock ok , Frog out during the day with the flock , but at night in dog cage . Still giving her Sulphatrim.
I stood at the back door last night before going to bed and thought of Cuddles ...
Bob
Flock of Penelope and Red and many girls and boys over the bridge .
Does good to reflect on them .
Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

I think you have really spoiled Desmond. He knows when he is onto a good thing and sounds as if he is enjoying getting his own way. I know what you mean about thinking about Cuddles. I often think (and we talk) about the animals we have lost. Glad your flock is doing well (they must have the best carer in the world). My girls are off on their hols tomorrow and I don't suppose it will be long before your girls and boys go on theirs while you are on holiday. My goodness that spoilt lad Desmond will miss his mornings in bed!!