Herb planter

Flowers, Trees, Lawns, Infrastructures, Maintenance & anything else!
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Herb planter

Post by Meanqueen »

I made a herb planter out of wood rescued from a skip a few weeks ago. Bought four plants, £2 each, and a bag of compost, and filled it. It doesn't have a wooden bottom, I covered it in wire mesh and put plastic upside down flower pots in the bottom. Look at it now, looking good. Now adding them to my food. :-D

lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Re: Herb planter

Post by lancashire lass »

it looks great MQ )like(
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

It's flourishing.
Have I guessed what 3 of the herbs are? No idea about the one at the back.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Mo wrote:Have I guessed what 3 of the herbs are? No idea about the one at the back.

either flat leaf parsley or more likely coriander (part of the same family as parsnip)?
wildlifemad
Lively Laner

Post by wildlifemad »

That looks fab MQ!! Well done! You can't beat fresh herbs for cooking!
gammidose2
Learner Laner

Post by gammidose2 »

Great job for that planter! I am now planning to plant herbs like basil and parsley instead of buying. Any tips on how to grow herbs indoors. Any suggestions will greatly be appreciated.
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

gammidose2 wrote:I am now planning to plant herbs like basil and parsley instead of buying. Any tips on how to grow herbs indoors.

At this time of year (going into autumn), the number of daylight hours and sun strength start to decrease so many plants both indoors and outdoors are not gearing up to actually growing. You can still harvest from herbs indoors through winter but just remember they won't replace leaves as quickly as those grown in spring and summer, and might start to look unhappy overall. Basil in particular, needs lots of sunshine and warmth (think Mediterranean!) which even a sunny south facing window sill in winter is not going to provide - you might be able to provide the warmth but this just encourages weak sappy growth without the strong sun.

There are different types of herbs, most are suited to well drained soil (like thyme and sage) and others need moisture, but not drowning. A south facing windowsill and as much sunlight as possible is always best.

As mentioned, basil is more a summer growing crop though you can buy "live" herbs from supermarkets all year round which have been grown in special conditions which allow you to harvest fresh leaves but they don't last long. Ideally, grow your own basil in summer and pick the leaves regularly and freeze (so they are "fresh" for when you need in winter)

Parsley is a biennial plant - grow it the first year for cropping fresh but by the second year the leaves become bitter as the plant gears up to flowering. There are 2 types of parsley - the curly moss type like you see decorating meat or fish on the butchers stall, or a flat leaf variety that looks more like coriander (they are in actual fact in the same family which includes carrots and parsnip) Parsley are hardy and can be grown outdoors and left outside over winter - the leaves tend to be less tender than indoor but the flavour should still be strong.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

I'm not sure what the climate is like where you are - not that I've grown any herbs except mint in the garden (doesn't need growing except to stop ot taking over) and what I think is lemon balm that pops up by itself, among my fruit bushes.
gammidose2
Learner Laner

Post by gammidose2 »

thank you for these ideas. I guess you're right that this time is not the best time. Or maybe I can buy a shed like a glass shed maybe I can place it outside. I also have bonsai soI think that will be a great idea. I really want to have a huge farm someday.
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

I think you'll be pushing it for this time of year, not too many things grow well over winter and if they do, the growth can be leggy and weak due to lack of light. But maybe with a greenhouse you might have some luck, even if just one of those small plastic ones (you mnight be able to pick one up cheap as all the garden centre stuff is being cleared off shelves). You would probably need a heater as well over the depths of winter (which you won't want in a plastic one) and you could use fleece as well. Of course, that all depends on whereabouts you are

You might have better luck with hardier and well established herbs like bay, rosemary and thyme. Sage I think will be iffy. Mint is dying back now; basil, coriander and parsely and the like I think will be hard to grow now even indoors
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
gammidose2
Learner Laner

Post by gammidose2 »

KarenE wrote:I think you'll be pushing it for this time of year, not too many things grow well over winter and if they do, the growth can be leggy and weak due to lack of light. But maybe with a greenhouse you might have some luck, even if just one of those small plastic ones (you mnight be able to pick one up cheap as all the garden centre stuff is being cleared off shelves). You would probably need a heater as well over the depths of winter (which you won't want in a plastic one) and you could use fleece as well. Of course, that all depends on whereabouts you are

You might have better luck with hardier and well established herbs like bay, rosemary and thyme. Sage I think will be iffy. Mint is dying back now; basil, coriander and parsely and the like I think will be hard to grow now even indoors

Do you think these will not be enough for the winter? http://whatshed.co.uk/large-shed/ Maybe I can request them for an insulator to be added. Wondering isn't that too big for my bonsai and veggies. But at least I have space for my gardening tools and my bike.
I want something like that in the future...in my very big farm.

I'm planning to move to Texas in 3 years time to fulfill this dream of having farm and livestock. Plus I love the weather there. Have you been to Texas?
gammidose2
Learner Laner

Post by gammidose2 »

I found the site while my wife was browsing through bike sheds. So I checked it myself and found these large sheds that can fit in my backyard. I hope I can get one by the weekend.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Are you in Texas now, or UK, or where?
There are people from all over the world on this site, but most are UK (or started life in UK). And our replies are probably most relevant to UK.
gammidose2
Learner Laner

Post by gammidose2 »

Mo wrote:Are you in Texas now, or UK, or where?
There are people from all over the world on this site, but most are UK (or started life in UK). And our replies are probably most relevant to UK.

I am from the UK originally but with work I am spending more and more time in the UK (Wife is American). The plan as it looks at the moment is that eventually we will be moving over...

Hope that helps clear it up a little :)
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Yes ... a little :-D