Beau been to vet

Dogs, Cats, Fish, Parrots, Horses, ALL Domestic Pets
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Beau been to vet

Post by albertajune »

This morning poor little Beau had 4 small teeth extracted as well as 2 lumps removed. One under his chin and one on his shoulder. Since coming home this afternoon he has just sat, almost asleep sitting down. He tried to lay down but jumps up before he gets there. I imagine the wound pulls when he stretches his front leg. I just hope we both have a decent nights sleep tonight. Hopefully it might dawn on him that he can lay on his other side. Do feel sorry for him.
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
manda

Re: Beau been to vet

Post by manda »

Poor little man...hopefully he'll feel more comfortable soon...hope he has a good night June.
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 4 dogs, 6 cats, a cow, a few sheep, Angora Goats and ???? chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

Hi Manda, he did have a good night but has got a cough which I was pre warned about. It is caused by the tube that went down his throat. On antibiotics so must improve each day. It all had to be done but I think "what have I put him through".
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Glad you both had a good nights sleep and hopefully the cough will go too. {hug}
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Oh bless him. I hope he recovers quickly {hug}
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

It is just the awfl coughing and gagging that he has to cope with now (and me). I was told to expect this as it is to do with the pipe that goes into the windpipe. Any phoned the vet this morning to ask if I can do anything to help reieve it and told to give him a tsp of childrens Benylin twice a day. Hope it works as his throat has to lose it's inflamation but constant retching can't help. Poor little boy. Feel so sorry for him.
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

{hug} hope Beau makes a speedy recovery. I know how you feel about knowing it has to be done but they don't understand why {hug}

I'm surprised that children's Benylin was recommended as the active ingredient is guaifenesin which helps thin and loosen mucus to make it easier to cough up congestion. I'd have thought an anti-inflammatory like paracetamol would be better as it will help to reduce that soreness (however, I really don't know if dogs can have paracetamol so I'm not recommending it!)
Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

Do hope your dog makes a speedy recovery. It is awful when they are not themselves and it sounds like poor Beau has been through the mill at the vets. I am afraid it is one of those "you have to be cruel to be kind". Our old dog developed a cough in her old age and I used to give her Children's Benylin and it did seem to help her, so I think it will do more good than harm. I am sure when he has recovered from his ordeal he will be back to normal and feeling much, much better.
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

lancashire lass wrote:{hug} hope Beau makes a speedy recovery. I know how you feel about knowing it has to be done but they don't understand why {hug}

I'm surprised that children's Benylin was recommended as the active ingredient is guaifenesin which helps thin and loosen mucus to make it easier to cough up congestion. I'd have thought an anti-inflammatory like paracetamol would be better as it will help to reduce that soreness (however, I really don't know if dogs can have paracetamol so I'm not recommending it!)

There are so many different childrens benylin. The one I bought is for dry cough and sore throat. He has only had one dose and already not coughing as much. When the vet nurse reccomrnded it she just said childrens benylin. I researched it on line and although not made for dogs is unofficially reccomended for his condition. The pharmasist suggested the one I bought.
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

Hope little Beau is much easier today June. So awful that we can't explain to them. {hug}
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Glad the medicine is working and keeping everything crossed for things to go well from here. {hug}
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

How is little Beau now June?
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Another one here wondering if all is going well.
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

It's so difficult when things don't work go well, they mean so much to us.

Hoping all well.

Richard
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

Sorry I haven't answered you before today. Beau is doing OK but in a collar now as he scratched the scab from his surgery and some of his skin next to it. This is the one under his chin. He will have it on for the rest of this week at least.
I just wish the vet had put a collar on him when the surgery was done as it would all be well now. His opinion was that it stresses the dogs more to have one on but I couldn't relax watching him. Anyway he now has a scab about the size of a 10p piece which I am bathing with salt water each day. Really stressed me out and feel so sorry for him. {cry}