Dilemma

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
Grannyof4
Legendary Laner

Dilemma

Post by Grannyof4 »

I am looking after a neighbours chickens. I looked after them weekend before last just for 3 days. I was not impressed with the conditions but gave the benefit of the doubt that perhaps she had not had time to clean out etc. I say clean out but there is very little on the floor apart from old bits of hay mixed in with old dry horse muck!!! Took over last Friday for a week and to be honest I am worried about the shed, dirt and mucky hay in the nesting box. Sadly this morning I found the cockerel dead, he was absolutely fine when I put them to bed last night. The hens are warrens and only been in lay for about 3-4 weeks. Apparently one has already died. They are in a very small space on soil, now very wet. I feel it will be very difficult to say anything as this is such a small community, only 6 properties and I am the newbie. She offered to look after my Bertha when I go away for 2 weeks (in 2 weeks time) but as mad/stupid/ridiculous as it sounds I am far happier paying £600 for proper professional live-in house sitters to come in and look after her.

KarenE
Legendary Laner

Re: Dilemma

Post by KarenE »

That is a dilemma. I don't blame you for wanting the best care for your Bertha.

About the neighbour's chickens - the cockeral has died, so that does give you the opportunity to say something to them. If they have already had losses in such a young flock then that suggests there is a problem either with the stock (maybe a dodgy breeder or an lingering infection) or the environment. I guess the first thing is to figure out whether they are that interested in the birds' welfare, as that will let you know how far you can go. Sounds harsh, but they may see them as egg & meet sources only. But at the least, you could mention the importance of daily poo picking, if the place is that unsanitary.
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
Grannyof4
Legendary Laner

Post by Grannyof4 »

Thanks for replying Karen. I don't know what to think. Definitely for the eggs but she will give them away end July next year as they go away for a month and then get new ones when they come back. Just going round again to check on "the girls".
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

That is a dilemma for sure.
You could wait a while and then report her and if she has an idea that it is you, you could bluff your way out of it, saying something like, 'Don't you think if I was going to report you, I would have done it when I looked after them, the other week/month whatever?'
Just thought, has anyone else looked after them before, do you know? I would have thought if she had had chickens for a while that arrangements would already be in place with someone else, as you are the newbie on the block.
KathJ
Longlasting Laner

Post by KathJ »

Oh dear, I imagine it's quite distressing to see them like that :? As they're quite young do you think she hasn't had hens before and maybe needs a bit of animal welfare advice? Very difficult situation for you!
Kath xx

Mum to my beautiful girls Lucy, Holly, Rosie, Hettie, Polly, Ruby, Lily, Penny, Gracie, Maisie, Molly, Evie and my gorgeous boy Toby

RIP my beautiful Ranger, Roxy, Bluebelle, Poppy, Speckle, Daisy and Honey xxxx
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Just thought, if she has had two die within a short space of time be careful that you do not take anything back to yours. I am sure you will have thought of this already, but just in case.
Grannyof4
Legendary Laner

Post by Grannyof4 »

KathJ wrote:Oh dear, I imagine it's quite distressing to see them like that :? As they're quite young do you think she hasn't had hens before and maybe needs a bit of animal welfare advice? Very difficult situation for you!

She has had chickens for a while now.
Grannyof4
Legendary Laner

Post by Grannyof4 »

Gwenoakes wrote:That is a dilemma for sure.
You could wait a while and then report her and if she has an idea that it is you, you could bluff your way out of it, saying something like, 'Don't you think if I was going to report you, I would have done it when I looked after them, the other week/month whatever?'
Just thought, has anyone else looked after them before, do you know? I would have thought if she had had chickens for a while that arrangements would already be in place with someone else, as you are the newbie on the block.

I would not go down the route of reporting her as they do have food and water all the time. I think her neighbour has looked after them in the past but I don't know them. Yes, I am being very careful when coming back to Bertha. Thanks for all replies.
Sandra M
Lively Laner

Post by Sandra M »

I would clean them out before they get back and say we have had so much rain they got very muddy and hope she takes the hint they should be cleaner.
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Many years ago Echelon was really upset with the same situation you have found yourself in. You cant upset her as the hens may suffer even more , you just subtly need to guide her in the right direction. Of course it depends on how well you know her? My neighbour (as the henpal parents know) has his hens for eggs. He feeds them, collects their eggs and thats it. Poo picking, new bedding, help when they are sick does not come into his husbandry. Living next door, with his and my girls less than 2 ft from one another I told him quite bluntly what I do for my girls I will do for his as I viewed them as my adopted pets and loved them as much as my girls. To his amusement I poo pick, change waters and give them fresh bedding when i do mine. If one is sick I take them to the vets. I pointed out it was no skin off of his nose and told him I did it becuase I loved them and it made me happy so thats what I do. I dont expect you to do this of course but as was said before maybe pointing out in a friendly way you gave them a clean out like you do your own may help? Really I just wished you loved near me as I would look after your Bertha when you were on hols and probably kidnap your neighbours hens too!
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/