Dustbin diving!

Thrifty tips, ideas, news & experiences on anything around the home to shopping to re-cycling etc.
Mallard
Legendary Laner

Dustbin diving!

Post by Mallard »

Where I live we have black and grey bins in two separate areas used by thirty odd flats. I can see one lot of bins from my window. A couple of chaps turn up on a regular basis to rummage through the bins for old clothes and anything that can be turned into cash. They never make a mess and are known to the local constabulary as 'good lads'! People put lots of things out the bin men won't take, wardrobes, beds, TVs etc, but someone always finds a use for them, including me.
We're usually short of bin space, so they're doing us a favour.

There are two places in town where old clothes, unfit for charity shops, can be weighed in and sold!
I'd like to live as a poor man with lots of money.
- Pablo Picasso
gammidose2
Learner Laner

Re: Dustbin diving!

Post by gammidose2 »

You are lucky you have that in your area. We still have boxes here of old clothes also unfit for charity.
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

My MIL used to work at an oxfam shop & all the clothes that were too worn out went in the "rags" box & got recyled that way.
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Hi, Mallard )wav( )wav(
Was only thinking the other week that I had not seen you on here. How are you diddling, still got your allotment near the Witham?
Mallard
Legendary Laner

Post by Mallard »

Hi Gwenoakes, I mustn't complain but I gave up my allotment early this year as I was in and out of hospital just at the wrong time. It was covered in weeds, so sooner than receiving letters from the committee I let someone else have it. I pay a fiver a year for a key, so I can still go for a natter.
- Pablo Picasso
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Great to see you Mallard me old chum :-D

Sounds a good scheme there.

Richard
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Sorry to hear that, Mallard. I hope you are keeping well now. {hug}
What happened to your and I hesitate to call it this, but Scarecrow that you made? Sorry cannot remember what you called him.
Is there still problems with the 'school' or has that all sorted itself out?
Mallard
Legendary Laner

Post by Mallard »

Do you mean Julian Gummage? He dissapeared, I hoped for a ransom note but never saw him again. His replacement was destroyed along with my neighbour's little area where we had BBQs.
There are some very strange people on that riverside walk!

It cost the next door landlord £2500 to sort out our other problem.
- Pablo Picasso
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Lets hope Julian has gone to a nice place then. Deffo some strange people in the town, never mind just round the river. Was in town this morning, not been there for some weeks and each time I go it seems worse than before.
2.5k now that is costly, good grief!