Bare back

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
amber66
Longlasting Laner

Bare back

Post by amber66 »

Hello.
Just some advice please.
Mollie is having her first bad moult and today she has a bald patch on her back. I have just seen Lola pecking at it. I haven't seen any blood yet but do you think it would be a good idea to spray it with the purple spray as a precaution?
Amber.

kitla
Legendary Laner

Re: Bare back

Post by kitla »

she's probably after the new quills growing, I'd give Lola some extra mealworms or something incase she's looking for xtra protein. It can turn into a habit though so probably a good move to spray the bald patch until Lola loses interest.
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
wendy

Post by wendy »

I had to put a chicken saddle on one of mine, when this happened
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
amber66
Longlasting Laner

Post by amber66 »

Thank you for the replies.
I went down to them this morning and Mollie has lost a lot more feathers and has large bald patches all over her. yike*
Amber.
jaxhen
Lively Laner

Post by jaxhen »

I can sympathise as all our girls are going through the worst moult seen in 8+ years!

I've tried a saddle for bare patches on the back but the securing straps of the saddle can rub emerging feathers away from the bald patch! A bald patch on one of mine was nearer the tail and the saddle wouldn't cover it.

I've tried anti-peck sprays of all sorts as well as the purple spray but it didn't deter the pecking. In desperation I thought I'd give Sudocrem a try and it seemed to work and it can soothe broken skin.
wendy

Post by wendy »

I made my own.
By getting an old fleece and cutting around a dinner plate.
Cut a hole near the top for the head and a couple at the side for the wings.

jaxhen
Lively Laner

Post by jaxhen »

Wendy

Many keepers aren't as imaginative as you and have to resort to ready made! Any chance of posting a pic of what the fleece looks like before you fit it onto the bird to give us an idea of what we should be aiming for?
wendy

Post by wendy »

Sadly not, as I have thrown it away. I no longer have any girls. {cry}
Just a round, with a hole near the top and two slightly lower for the wings.

I will have a look to see if I have any other photo's of Isobelle

wendy

Post by wendy »

As you can see it wasn't a master piece of sewing [in fact none involved] But it did the job.
Can't really see. But the feathers at the front are over a thinish bit at the front.
Her wing is outside. But it is just an awkward place, by a tree

jaxhen
Lively Laner

Post by jaxhen »

Wendy

Thanks for posting the photo. It gives us the idea.

Perhaps somebody out there with sewing skills can come up with a DIY fleece saddle pattern for the non-sewers amongst us?
amber66
Longlasting Laner

Post by amber66 »

Hello.
I have just gone to check on Mollie and found that the others have made her back bleed at the base of her tail. I have sprayed her ( and my best jeans, my arms and my OH as he was holding her) with the purple spray but the blood is still showing through and they are still pecking her.
I have separated her for the moment giving the blood time to dry but not sure what to do next. Having looked at the saddle Wendy posted (thank you) i don't think it will cover the back enough.
Should i keep her separated from the others, it will mean inside the house in a dog crate for the rest of her moult or keep her with the others.
Thanks.
Amber.
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Amber, put some sudocreme on it. It's white so will cover the red, and wil help to soothe and heal it as well. Slather it on

I'm not sure whether seperation would be best or not. As they've drawn blood maybe slap on the sudocreme, keep her in for a day to give her a chance to heal and then get her out witht hem again before it becomes a re-introduction issue. If you keep her away for her entire moult you will have to re-introduce
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
wendy

Post by wendy »

If they see the blood they will peck it.
Make the dinner plate bigger to cut round