I am going to have chooks again

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

I am going to have chooks again

Post by Gwenoakes »

After a lot of thought and pondering, approx just over a year, I have decided I am going to have some more chickens. As it will be a small area they are kept in I am thinking of 3 or 5 ladies.
I was absolutely gutted when my ex bats didn't last very long, so will not be going down that route again. Selfish it might be, but being a wimp I will get some young girls and see how it goes.
We have moved houses, so there will not be the same concern about the area/land and what was kept on the land previously by a farmer, which, although never proven I am still thinking was part of the problem.
We intend to build a block house for them because where it will be positioned it will be in the sun most of the day, we will use the same wire mesh I used before so that foxes cannot gain entry. There will be a roof of wire mesh and provision for covering over should the bird flu raise its head yet again, although I don't think it has gone away and maybe never will.
As we are still in the middle of building the Canine Hydrotherapy Centre it might not even be this year, so plenty of time to plan things out properly.
I have got to say now the decision to have more chooks has been made I am quite excited. )t'

bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Re: I am going to have chooks again

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Good for you , wish you reconsider , ex bats . At least a couple . They have no hope without you, which if I was them would rather have you for a few months than have HAD NO LIFE AT ALL.
but as you say your call , in the chicken world it is the only call.
Be glad to read of your re-catching the bug .
Bob
Trev62
Legendary Laner

Post by Trev62 »

Good luck, but as we have found out 3-5 hens soon grew to many more!!!!
"Not all those who wander are lost"
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

Look on the hens needing homes section, there are 3 bluebells looking for a new home.
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

Good for you Gwen. All the best with your re-venture.
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Thanks guys.
We can't have many chooks because we just don't have the room here, so an increase from original numbers is highly unlikely, Trev.
I do feel very mean not having ex bats, but that is the way it will be, sorry BBB.
Kitla, we have no house/run for them yet and I did notice that the person with the Bluebells wanted them to be free range and lived miles away from us. I would not even consider free ranging here, especially with Teddy, Clare's GSD who has a great interest in furry and feathered things.
Bluefinch
Lively Laner

Post by Bluefinch »

I am really happy with my ex-batts but have only have only had them two months. Everyone to their own. Have fun with the planning Gwenoakes.
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Really pleased to hear this Gwenoakes.

If I may make a suggestion - I would allow space for five but go with three first, as when laying gets erratic, you can then add another two.
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

I have thought about that, Helen, but think when I finally go and get them I will come back with 5. LOL
My secret is I would really like ducks, had them before and just love them and their eggs. Only problem here is the ground tends to be wet, especially in winter and ducks would need a pool which would make it even wetter and muddier!
I know people keep them without a pool, but I wouldn't as I just love to see them swimming round and enjoying the water. Have thought as far as an old bath sunk into the ground with loads of hardcore underneath it so I could let the dirty water drain away, but no further thoughts as yet.
Linda S
Legendary Laner

Post by Linda S »

Glad to hear it Gwen when are you hoping to get your girls and do you want a particular breed or just what takes your fancy )like(
Lindaxx
And then there was one, Again!!!!
Jemima
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Little Angels Free For Ever
Honey,Lizzi,Peggy-Mitchel,April,Hope,Faith,Blondie, Sorrel,Scarlet, Penny, Gabby, Rosie, Chick-a-Dee
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Remembering Our Beautiful Foster Boys we are so sorry that we couldn't keep you
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

Have you got your girls yet Gwen?
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

To answer both Linda and Spreckly, no I haven't got my girls yet. A little bit disappointed, but had lots of problems with the Canine Hydro Pool and would you believe the electricity supply and compliance with the Air Source Heat Pump. In fact just got the news late yesterday evening that the pump we have does comply, but now we are looking at poss a 3 month delay with highways re whether or not they will be blocking the road off as we need a new electricity supply.
What is it they say that everything comes to those who wait?!
Not really looked into what chickens to have, but Clare has, LOL. Well I suppose she should have some say as it will be her who will be looking after them when we are away......
Terry has put the concrete base down ready for the blocks to go on, but that is as far as he has got with the coop.
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

An excited update from me. The coop has been built, the posts are going in and ........wait for it...........I have chosen 7 ladies and paid for them. These chickens are a mixed variety and the reason I am having 7 is because they are not big and they will still have plenty of room as we have been able to make the run bigger than originally thought.
Still have to put the wire round and over and make a door and shutter for the window, but hopefully within the next four weeks they will be home. I am sure our Grandaughter will name them, but for now they will be called 1,2,3,4,5,6 & 7. LOL
We have been told we can visit to see them anytime we want, so that is nice.
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Exciting news! What breeds did you end up getting? Bet you can't wait till you bring them home. I hope you enjoy your new chicken keeping experiences )t'

Oh and of course - )piicy(
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

They are all mixed breeds and Chloe our Grandaughter has named them all.
2 long legged white, look like they are on stilts, are going to be called Daisy and Daffodil.
Small speckledy is Rose. Light partridge one Primrose, White one, Lily, brown partridge one Tulip and a grey which has been named Bluebell. They are all small and have been told that they will not grow much bigger.
Chloe has asked if she can collect the eggs, not yet though, as they range from 16 - 20 weeks, so she may have to wait a while.
We have bought the wire, so hopefully within the next 7 - 10 days we should be able to bring them home.
Clare has taken a piccie of them where they are now, but need other daughter to post for me which will possibly be this Weds/Thurs.
I think the people who we are having them from think we are stalking them as we have been almost every day since we bought them. LOL