karen's chicken diary

Start your own thread and let us follow you through the year
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Re: karen's chicken diary

Post by KarenE »

We have lost the tail! Dory now looks like a little quail running aroudn the garden. AND we are losing the WIG!!! She never moulted the wig last year so this is a first. I would post a photo but she has begged me not to, as she can't stand looking less than perfect.

Tiggs seems fine. Perhaps it was just a combo of the lash and lice, poor little devil. The harkermectin seems to have done its job, she is shedding dead ones. I had some more on order, but the bloomin site I ordered it from wouldn't send it as its not licensed for chickens! {mr.angry} So ebay to the rescue, and I am hoping they don't care.

I am keeping up the course of tylan in case there is a low-level infection at work too, what with the lash. The little revloootionary has started coming into the house of a morning waiting for her laced tylan bread. She is pretty smart! Dory Grey stands on the back step, clucking the whole time and eventually ventures in carefully for her little piece of bread too.

Going to look at getting another black star when we get back from our hols next week, as we'll need them to be integrated by the time this year's lockdown comes, which everybody is forecasting will happen again. Hopefully a little young one that won't give top hen Dory any lip - although if Dory keeps her status I will be amazed. Already got a name, which I won't share yet :-D
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper

sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Excellent news re Tiddley )like( apart from the creepy crawlies, yuck!
We want a photo of the Dory )piicy(
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

We've been away for a week so have had a neighbour looking after Marley and the girls. Girls absolutely fine and easily trained with mealworms and bread. Marley not so fine, did a disappearing act for several days and had our poor neighbour up and down the street asking people to check their sheds! She wandered back when she'd had enough roughing it. Naughty Marley was snoozing upstairs when we got back, butter wouldn't melt! She spent last evening snoozing next to me on the couch, and in the garden all day bouncing around. I think she missed us {hug} In fact she brought us in a dead mouse yesterday...

Girls also missed us I think - our neighbour lets them out, but Tiggs does love snuggling on a knee and jumped at the chance today. Dory is still moulting, but I think it's a mini one. The wig is looking patchy, still no tail and she's regrowing feathers on her neck. She's also lost a strip of fluffy knickers, which is interesting! She was most curious about the dead Marley mouse (I thanked Marley for it then put it on the patio, where she could eat it if she wanted. She didn't, neither did the owls or kites and it was still there when the girls came exploring) and spent a while cautiously circling it, bok-boking before she went in, picked it up by its tail and scared herself to death when it moved! I do have it on video but I seem to have lost my phone at some stage this afternoon {mr.angry} Hopefully I'll find it and it'll be a good opportunity to test imgbox videos out.

Picked all the sweetcorn off my allotment today so the girls have had a bumper crop of the rubbish cobs. I have had the best ones for my tea :-D Don't tell them!
Karen
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Dory's mini-moult continues, she's growing the wig back nicely - incidentally the wig never entirely moulted, just bits of it. As if a Woo would ever entirely lose a wig! yike* And she has the edges of a tail peeking through again so all's looking good. She has become even more flighty and hestiant though, if that were possible.

Tiggs not looking so well today the tail down thing again. Last time it was a little lash so hopefully this time it's similar.
Karen
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Come on Tiddly get that nasty egg out! Stop worrying your mummy, big >fi< that is the problem x
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce

KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Good grief, Dory had grown her beautiful new tail and today it's looking a right scruffy mess! She continues to moult, I'm sure she wasn't this slow last year. But it looks like a full moult, even if drawn out.

Tiggs isn't moulting but has been up & down, her poos still aren't good but she's up & around quite happily at the moment. She needs a botty bath. I should worm them, see if that helps her. I also want to go pick up a new girl but not sure if introducing a new hen in the middle of a moult and mysterious illness is a good idea.

Marley has become a snuggle monster - with me, at least. I think she missed us while we were away (just got back from Baercelona of all places, right in the middle of their independance goings-on) and has been curling up next to me and following me around. Until hubby apears and then she scarpers, she's still not warming to him at all and it's not him personally as he loves cats, and he feeds her.
Karen
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Glad to hear Tiggs is better )like( piccie of the Woo I think is a must

KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

SOMEONE forgot to lock the girl's door last night yike* (Me)

Bit of a shock to find them chirruping under the bathroom window this morning. Not as big a shock as if something had happened to them of course.

It took me ages to get the little beggars into their run yesterday, I bet they turned right round and came out again }hairout{

Pics of the Woo are a bit difficult, as she spends an enormous amount of time hiding or running away lately. But I'll see what I can do, I am a bit behind. Swapped to a new phone, and a new camera.
Karen
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

[quote="KarenE"]SOMEONE forgot to lock the girl's door last night yike* (Me)

{warn}

amber66
Longlasting Laner

Post by amber66 »

Glad they are all ok Karen.
Amber.
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Went chicken shopping today! Came back with NOTHING!!! yike*

We'll get some more ex bats next year when the rescues start up again but thought we'd go and get a posh girl to keep our current 2 company - if heaven forbid something should happen which let's face it wouldn't be out of the question. Anyway, went all the way to welford and they were practically out. I have a particular breed in mind which I won't say till I have her in the coop, but all they had where light sussex and some unknown white - not Coral Nick like Casper was as they had a normal and not uber-floppy comb. I think they were probably amber stars. They also had a handful of posh birds at £50 A POP! And a few Woos who were masquerading as Columbines this time - they do seem to be gatherers of different names the Woos (cream legbars, columbines, skylines - just the 3 I know!)

Speaking of the Woo, my Woo went mad a few days ago and started pulling and yanking at my leg for absoluely no reason other than Tiddly was perched on it. Then she decided she wanted to get up as well so Dory Grey scrambled up my leg and tried to shove Tiggs off! Her once a year lap sit and guess what - the camera was there to record it all!!

Hope this works, it's the first time I've tried a video upload on imgbox. Can't see a way of embedding int in the page so you will have to click on the link & hope it works:

http://sendvid.com/9bi564km" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

In the meantime we have been having fun with big piles of leaves. Here are some pics of the girls, as you can see Dory is still moulting and I think Tiggs has also started a tiny moult, which would explain her level of miseriness and bad poos lately. I am finding the odd ginger feather around, but really not many

Image Image Image
Karen
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Absolutely love the video, what an out of character move by a Woo )like( Dory and Fay are practically twins. Tiggs is looking so well too after that scare she gave you(and us)

KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Dory looks like she's scrapped the wig and gone for the mohican look. It's because she can't reach the new wig bits with her gammy legs and so they are still covered in feather casing. She looks like she's got spines down the centre of her head.

We've had a bit of shenanigans today though. Becuase we went chicken shopping again, and this time we came back with one! So there are now 3 girtls, and we haven't named the new girl yet. She's a golden speckledy, Point-of-Lay or a bit younger actually and deliberately chosen for her docile termperament and young age, in hopes that she will settle quickly in and not upset my two moulty girls too much. Fat chance. We've already had a fight through the wire with Tiggs, and neither would back down. Dory Grey whined and bleated and showed no inclination to assert her top hen authority.

No pics yet obviosuloy,m and no name yet either. We'll see what tomorropw brings (up at daybreak) but she put herself to bed quite happily today once Dory and Tiggs had gone in (I had them fenced apart) so that's a good sign. She seems very friendly already, and I just hope that everything settles down quickly. I absolutely HATE introductions!

We were spoiled for choice at Towcester, they had lots of birds in and some breeds I hadn't come across. I had intended to get another black star/copper black like Remsie, and we were very tempted but in the end we plumped for the golden speckledy. Here's a bit about her breed: http://www.poultrycentre.co.uk/golden-s ... 486262.htm

Wish me luck for tomorrow! I think it's going to be a trying day!
Karen
HenPen
Longlasting Laner

Post by HenPen »

How exciting! Looking forward to the stories and the photos +f+
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

No photos yet, will try and take some today.

New goldy speckledy went to bed as good as gold both nights, just followed the other 2 straight in. We still haven't got a name yet. Anyway, they were already all up when I went in this morning, at opposite sides of the run. And as our new girl had been so good with her bedtime, I let her into the garden with the others so she's exploring now. This is earlier than I tend to, so I hope I don't regret it tonight!

It seems the pecking order is almost settled. And <drumroll please!> Dory Grey has clung on to her THAA position!! yike* I am as astonished as anyone else. She's still whinging, but is chasing away our new girl, who is clearly not as brave without the wire. Tiggs is rising above it all, so I assume she is quite happily 2nd still. And new girl is following me about, I think she may turn into a very friendly girl. Of course, I am protecting her from the stalking HORROR that is Dory so that might have something to do with it - that and me being a walking treats dispenser. She has yet to meet Marley in the wild so to speak, so that should be fun when she shows up.

So fingers crossed for a trouble-free day. as long as she doesn't hop over any fences and goes to bed nicely tonight, all will be well >fi<
Karen