Starting my diary

Start your own thread and let us follow you through the year
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Re: Starting my diary

Post by KarenE »

When was the last time they were wormed Hilly? Just thinking of Queenie. Could she also be due for a moult? That can affect their poos, and make them feel very ill and usually before the feather's start appearing is when they are at their worst. If she starts hanging back from the others, and hesitant in eating but still in the fight for mealworms then it could be a moult on its way.

How purple is Matie's comb (tips or all of it) and how is she in herself?
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper

sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

How are the poorlies doing Hilly?
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
HilierWard
Lively Laner

Post by HilierWard »

Grrr - just typed a long update, only to look up and the lot has disappeared!

Queenie has (miraculously considering the goo and shell sticking out her vent) come around and is back to normal. I really did think I was going to lose her. She is back laying and running around as usual.

Mattie's comb has lost its purple colour and is back red. She is laying and all ok. This last lot of batties are the cheekiest yet. They really are little monkeys jumping up onto everything. OH insists on "sharing" his crisps with the lot of them. And they go mad for them!

Texas has, for the last week or so, been standing around hunched up. It is now clear that she is moulting, the poor little love. We've had her 3 years and she has never moulted before. The run is absolutely covered in feathers. So much so, when I first saw it, I thought something had got in! She has lost all her feathers on her neck, back and underside. She is still fighting for treats, so Im not too worried about her. They all have had sardines twice a week for the past 2 weeks.

Spook wanders around every night eating up all Texas's feathers, so she is still lacking calcium. Hence the sardines are mixed with limestone flour.
Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

Sounds like everyone is doing well - that's great to hear. )like(
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Hilly it is anohter long time since an update +f+
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce

HilierWard
Lively Laner

Post by HilierWard »

yes, sorry Sandy it has been!

A lot has been happening, not all good. Found one of the batties dead in the coup.

Texas, who had been moulting, started growing her feathers back. All seemed to be well until 2 weeks last Thursday, when I finally managed to get to touch her, she was all skin and bone with a swollen undercarriage. Straight off to the vets, who reckoned she had an impacted crop. Brought her home, spent the weekend massaging her, but it was too late. OH found her face down in the run {cry} She was one of our original chickies and it hurt like hell.

Queenie is moulting too (very badly), but when I saw her bottom, it was covered in muck. Off to the vets who said she had an infection. Was given loxicom and baytril and which seems to have worked. Yesterday afternoon, whereas she was doing normal chicken things, just stopped and stood still. Emergency vet, loxicom and baytril again. Back to the vets tomorrow.

Meanwhile, last night Tracy just ground to a halt, took herself off to bed early. This morning there was yolk on the newspaper, but nothing else. She isn't herself though.

Whilst all this is happening, on Facebook a fortnight ago, Cats Protection were looking for a home for a stray - Linx. Took one look at his face and fell in love with him. Its over 2 years since Salem died - and 2 years of being upset by that. After abit of sole searching, we have adopted him. He arrived Wednesday night. He is the most gentle, loving little boy.

Who has set the intruder alarm off twice this morning! Even if it was supposed to be vet friendly, just in case we had another cat, when it was fitted in Feb.

Phew - that was a long one! :-D
Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

Hi Hilly - sorry to hear you have lost a girl (never gets any easier, always so heart breaking). I do hope that your other poorly chicks go on OK and make a speedy recovery. It's great news that you have adopted a cat and it sounds as if he is settling in very well indeed. Nice to hear from you again.
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Aw Hilly I am so sorry to hear your bad news, poor Texas {hug&kiss} Lots of >fi< to the full recovery of Queenie and Tracy, madness isnt it when they moult in the colder weather, it seems to affect them all differently.
Excellent news on you new family member Linx, piccie please?

HilierWard
Lively Laner

Post by HilierWard »

Took Queenie to the vets yesterday morning. He couldn't feel anything around her throat, no obstruction in her vent/internals, but nothing but wee dropped out - no food at all. Her crop is solid. So I tried massaging it yesterday and she ate a miniscule amount of mash, mixed with sardines. This morning, her vent was still solid - why is that?

Back to the vets tomorrow night with her.

Tracy passed a softie yesterday morning and is quite bright today.
HilierWard
Lively Laner

Post by HilierWard »

Queenie has lost more weight. The vet tipped her, but nothing moved.

The only option now is to have her operated on. She is booked in for 1.30pm today. Whilst I do understand the unpredictability and danger of the anaesthetic on chickens, I cannot just let her waste away.
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Oh dear Hilly, you are having a tough time lately {hug} I'm so sorry to hear you lost Texas, and that Queenie is ill. It sounds as though she has an obstruction further down her pipes. Let's hope its a blockage that can be cleared. You must go with your instinct and do what you feel is right for her.

Fingers crossed you get a good result from the operation. Let us know how it goes {hug}
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
amber66
Longlasting Laner

Post by amber66 »

Fingers crossed for Queenie today, Hilly.
Amber.
Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

Good luck Hilly - Hope Queenie's operation goes well and she makes a speedy recovery. Fingers crossed for you (and Queenie).
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Hilly my Abbie used to have a hard crop quite a lot, my vet gave me paraffin to tube into her which used to soften it up so I could massage it and it would break down.

stripeddonkey
Lively Laner

Post by stripeddonkey »

Hope Queenie got through her op and is on the road to recovery.