Swallows nests

All free living creatures around our Homes & Gardens - enjoying helping them helping us
Mo
Legendary Laner

Swallows nests

Post by Mo »

Well, I like swallows and it's good that they've found a nice safe place to nest but it has made a right mess of my garage and the stuff my daughter's in-laws were storing in it.
I'd been leaving the car outside, thought they'd fledged, put it in as I was away for a week (by train) and have just noticed there is another nest, it might be a new one as my windscreen has more hay & mud on it than poo. Though surely they'll be a bit late hatching
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
wildlifemad
Lively Laner

Re: Swallows nests

Post by wildlifemad »

How wonderful to have Swallows, not so good for the car but I could put up with that! Lets cross our fingers for good weather & plenty of insects for them. Keep us up to date Mo.
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

We cover everything in old towels and sheets, Mo and then throw them away.
We don't get so many here, but in the last house we used to have them in their hundreds, all in the barns and cart sheds. They used to dive bomb the cats as they were walking across the courtyard too, which they were not impressed with. LOL
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Swallows started to nest of the front of my house for the first time this year, but sadly, after a few days activity, they stopped {cry}

Also, I had my first birds (starlings) nesting in the eves. They worked tirelessly building the nest, but after a a few days in there and lots of cheeping, it all went quiet. They were the first starlings I had seen in my garden for several years too {cry}
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Yes Mo, maybe a little late, they should be weighty enough for their journey to South Africa in October though.

Some birds aren't migrating at all now, changing climate, worrying..

I had some Spotted Flycatchers fledge a fortnight ago. Late'ish.

They usually fly to coastal areas for a few weeks before their migration, same when they return, just stocking up etc.

This week over 200 Sand Martins were seen grouped together at Dungeness.

Not long !!

Richard
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Well, that didn't end well. A week or so ago I noticed a dead bird in the garage, think now it was one of the swallow parents. The other was feeding them early last week, then for a few days I noticed the young were very noisy in the nest. Then I found 3 of them dead on the garage floor, fairly well feathered but obviously either not ready to fly or couldn't find the gap above the door / missing pane in the side door.
The first brood were all flying well at the end of July though.
That's nature I suppose.
wildlifemad
Lively Laner

Post by wildlifemad »

That's a shame about the Swallows but as you say it is nature. I just think its harder when we see it in front of us. You would be none the wiser if they hadn't nested there but they chose to & gave you pleasure whilst they were there. Fingers crossed for some of them to return again next year.
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

There's still a lot who haven't left for sunnier climes yet !

It mkes you wonder if they're going to stay over winter in the not too distant future, many other ex-migratory birds have chosen to stay.

Richard
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

wildlifemad wrote:That's a shame about the Swallows but as you say it is nature. I just think its harder when we see it in front of us. You would be none the wiser if they hadn't nested there but they chose to & gave you pleasure whilst they were there. Fingers crossed for some of them to return again next year.

The pleasure was mixed. They made a horrible mess.
No swallows this far north for ages.