Anyone's chickens not like worms?

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Anyone's chickens not like worms?

Post by Gwenoakes »

Like title says, my 7 ladies all seem to be anti worm. Other chickens we have had in the past almost broke their necks to get them, but not these.
Anyone else's chickens the same or am I setting a new trend?

bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Re: Anyone's chickens not like worms?

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

My follow a fork and get well stuck in help.
Bob
Slugs are like manner from heaven.
KathJ
Longlasting Laner

Post by KathJ »

Mine aren't keen on slugs but they go mad for worms. Like Bob's they're almost on top of the spade as you're digging, we have to watch their little feet so carefully before plunging the spade in. It was so funny at the weekend, I was digging for them and Rosie managed to get a big worm in her beak but Lily wanted her share and was chasing her all over the run, it was like one of those Benny Hill chases but Rosie wasn't letting go. She finally managed to eat it on the run {rofwl}
Kath xx

Mum to my beautiful girls Lucy, Holly, Rosie, Hettie, Polly, Ruby, Lily, Penny, Gracie, Maisie, Molly, Evie and my gorgeous boy Toby

RIP my beautiful Ranger, Roxy, Bluebelle, Poppy, Speckle, Daisy and Honey xxxx
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

a fork is worse they stick heads through the gaps to get first dibs.
Bob
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

SHMBO will not give a worm and totally against buying fishing worms for hooks as feed.
Bob
HedgeHugger
Legendary Laner

Post by HedgeHugger »

My lot get really excited if you get the fork out, and live dangerous lives with their actions trying to be first in.
But..... winter time they seem to lose interest in wiggly things, maybe they taste funny in the autumn >shrug<
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Looks like I have the exceptions to the rule then.....
I am feeding all 7 of them on growers pellets which they were on where we got them from. Only one has started laying and there ages do range somewhat. I know we cant eat the eggs because of the AB's in food, but wondered if I could boil/scramble the one egg we are getting most days and feed it back to them for the protein. Anyone have any idea if this is OK?
Just read your reply, HH, so am thinking mine might be the same as yours. >shrug<
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Feed the girls eggs , but cook them as you do not want them eating their own.
Chickens eat and chose what they eat . Cannot make them . I am sure that once they get the taste of a worm they will not stop.
Bob
Grannyof4
Legendary Laner

Post by Grannyof4 »

Gwenoakes wrote:Looks like I have the exceptions to the rule then.....
I am feeding all 7 of them on growers pellets which they were on where we got them from. Only one has started laying and there ages do range somewhat. I know we cant eat the eggs because of the AB's in food, but wondered if I could boil/scramble the one egg we are getting most days and feed it back to them for the protein. Anyone have any idea if this is OK?
Just read your reply, HH, so am thinking mine might be the same as yours. >shrug<

Wondering why you still have them on growers. If they are of laying age then surely layers food better.
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Got them on growers because their ages vary greatly although all are still babies and it was suggested it would not hurt for all of them to stay on it, even the one who has just started laying.
Do you think it would be better putting them on layers pellets then Grannyof4? I have read somewhere that putting them on layers too early can create probs re prolapse etc in later years as it encourages them to lay earlier when they are not fully grown, so was not really worried about leaving them on the growers. Do you know if there is any truth in that?
Bluefinch
Lively Laner

Post by Bluefinch »

Mine don't like worms either Gwenoaks. I have even tried offering them on my hand but they just ignore them. I am hoping that my new chicken might teach them that worms are good. Wondering if it is because they are ex-batts?

My previous two hens used to follow me round the garden in the hope that I may get the fork out and start digging and then they were in there.
ChickenCarol
Longlasting Laner

Post by ChickenCarol »

In summer my girls go crazy for worms and I have to be so careful with the fork as they are all over it. In winter when not laying they show no interest at all. I think they know what is good for them for egg production. It is similar with greens. I give greens daily and they can't get enough in summer but eat very little in winter and at the end of the day I take them out.
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Don't think it is because they are ex batts Bluefinch, when I had mine they went mad for them.