Christmas food

Recipes, Cooking tips and maybe some 'Home Made' secrets !
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Christmas food

Post by lancashire lass »

Only 3 weeks today to go until Christmas day yike* so has anyone started getting stuff together yet? I had some Clubcard vouchers so decided to spend them in Tescos on Saturday for items I can get in advance for the freezer or cupboard ... despite sticking to a small shopping list, my weekly grocery bill was a lot more than I had expected despite the vouchers :?

I'm not going over the top this year - just a traditional roast turkey (a small one) with trimmings the way I like them (and with the Christmas tree up, hopefully it won't feel like an ordinary Sunday lunch LOL)

I also have about £18 worth of Nectar points built up so I might treat myself to some nice cheeses among other things from Sainsburys. There's not really a lot more to get. Booze already sorted (a bottle of sparkling wine I'd bought for my birthday still untouched, and the last time I had any sherry was .... er, last Christmas Day - as you might notice, I'm not much of a drinker)
KathJ
Longlasting Laner

Re: Christmas food

Post by KathJ »

I think it's so ridiculous how people go over the top with food at Christmas. Christmas dinner is basically a Sunday dinner with a few extras. I get my groceries delivered now but when I used to go I just couldn't believe how much people had in their trolleys yike* . I'm sure most of it just got thrown away by the New Year. Everyone to their own but the shops don't even close on Christmas day anymore, you can usually find somewhere open.
Kath xx

Mum to my beautiful girls Lucy, Holly, Rosie, Hettie, Polly, Ruby, Lily, Penny, Gracie, Maisie, Molly, Evie and my gorgeous boy Toby

RIP my beautiful Ranger, Roxy, Bluebelle, Poppy, Speckle, Daisy and Honey xxxx
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

I enjoy the food I make all the year round. When I think I might get something a bit special I am stuck for ideas. I wander around the shop thinking I'll have a treat, something different, I search the chiller cabinets and shelves, and nothing inspires me. I don't buy special Christmas food, I might have a bottle of sherry, don't drink much alcohol anyway. I look at the prepared veggi ready meals and think, full of (can't say here) gunge.

I eat Brussels Sprouts all the time love 'em, hate Christmas pud and cake, too rich, mince pies I can leave them. Nope, not much to tempt me.

Ilona
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

I have bought a nice joint of beef and turkey crown, whatever is left over will be used up in other meals or eaten cold with salad or sandwiches.
Have bought a tin of biscuits which we don't normally have, one box of chocolates, a tube of smarties.......I really, really, really like smarties and so does Grandaughter. )like( We will have the usual trimmings but will use maple syrup on the brussels and roast them alongside the meat.
The tree will go up mainly for Grandaughter, which looks like it could be sooner rather than later if she has her way.
I will get some nice cheese and already have the crackers/cheese biscuits.
The pudding is from last year, long best before date bought in the sales, cake is a small slice as I am the only one who eats it. Mince pies/lemon curd tarts have already been baked and in freezer. That's about it.
HedgeHugger
Legendary Laner

Post by HedgeHugger »

Today I splashed out and bought a bag of Redondo wafers, long biscuity wafery type things with chocolate instead. I liked the penguin on the packaging :oops:

Last week I bought a tube of Twiglets, but they have been eaten, for scientific purposes of course :)

Turkey crown in the freezer. A roll of puff pastry for practice.

We stopped buying loads in a few years ago, when we realised just how much extra we were stuffing ourselves with. No need. Something extra is fine, but no more tins of chocolates, no more hoards of mince pies (even though I do love a decent mince pie).
KathJ
Longlasting Laner

Post by KathJ »

I don't like mince pies or Christmas cake anyway which is good. For Christmas day pudding I'm making a plum crumble as I still have a load in the freezer and get a tub of nice ice cream. It's only me, hubbie and my mum and dad and they're happy with whatever they have. I work with someone who stocks up 2 freezers, they're still getting through it by Easter :?
Kath xx

Mum to my beautiful girls Lucy, Holly, Rosie, Hettie, Polly, Ruby, Lily, Penny, Gracie, Maisie, Molly, Evie and my gorgeous boy Toby

RIP my beautiful Ranger, Roxy, Bluebelle, Poppy, Speckle, Daisy and Honey xxxx
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

I was in sains of few weeks ago and bought 3 boxes of nice choc biscs - one each for daughters, one for me. So what did they give me at the check-out. A voucher for money off if I spent £8 on biscs within a week!!! gr!! I don't even shop every week, let alone buy Christmas biscuits.
Also got choc coins for the tree - that will do, there's plenty in the freezer for me and we are having the family Solistice meal at my daughters this year. Maybe father C will bring me a box of Heroes.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
wendy

Post by wendy »

A difficult Christmas this year, as my 84 year old sister isn't too good. She usually comes to me over the holidays.
But she is adamant that she isn't going to come, this year. So I will have to cook the dinner on Christmas eve and then transport it to Surrey on the day. I also won't be able to stay for hours and hours, because of the dogs. What she doesn't realise that she is making my Christmas one spent, mainly, on my own as well. Nothing new there I suppose. But I am going to our daughter on Boxing day.
I did buy a Crown yesterday. As she won't eat a veggie dinner :?
So other than treating myself to a couple of boxes of Pringles. I am now done
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
wildlifemad
Lively Laner

Post by wildlifemad »

We don't go overboard. We are in the Highlands for Christmas so have ordered Venison from the local butcher so that will be nice. Other than that we have buy some cheeses & biscuits & a bottle of fizz, job done! We have always wanted to go to Scotland for Christmas so we booked it back in February & now all we want to do is chill the fizz in the snow!!
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

wildlifemad wrote:We have always wanted to go to Scotland for Christmas so we booked it back in February & now all we want to do is chill the fizz in the snow!!

Snow which fell deep & crisp & even on Christmas Eve, after you've driven in sunny weather on empty roads.
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

I only see my sister for a couple of hours when she comes to me for Christmas dinner, so won't be doing much else. I will be buying a turkey breast and small ham tomorrow and maybe a few treats. Depends on what catches my eye. My son usually visits on boxing day and he will be dissappointed that I never made a cake this year but I now find it a chore.

I will be very happy sitting near the fire with the cat and dog with a few nibbles.
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

Really don't know about Christmas Day. OH begins chemo on the 18th, nice NHS timing, after postponing it for almost two weeks, so whether he will want any food will remain to be seen. Normally we go to my middle sons, after visiting youngest son, who lives en route.

I have plans to buy a large chicken or small turkey crown, some packet sauces and stuffings - always made my own, but feeling lazy, we've got a Christmas pud, so that should about do us.

It will be wait and see.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

albertajune wrote: My son usually visits on boxing day and he will be dissappointed that I never made a cake this year but I now find it a chore.

I'm retiring from Christmas pudding making this year. I'll do cakes for all of us though - they don't need boiling for hours.