Blind Giblet & friends at Chickenopolous

Start your own thread and let us follow you through the year
kitla
Legendary Laner

Re: Blind Giblet & friends at Chickenopolous

Post by kitla »

My girls are showing their age, (they are all coming up 6 yo next spring) they dont like the cold weather & Beany, Bonny, Nettle & Giblet were still in bed when I went out at about 10.30. I think I need to put more tarps on the run to shelter the poor old things from the cold wind. Nettle hasnt been back to the vet yet, but more metacam & some tlc seems to be helping a bit, we'll see.
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant

stripeddonkey
Lively Laner

Post by stripeddonkey »

Wee lambs. I'm the same in winter - early to bed and, where possible, late to get up :-D
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

Yesterday Nettle wouldnt get out of bed & her limp was worse again. I managed to get her in to see vet Emily, she really is the best chooky vet ever. She knew what was wrong straight away, it was the mareks, it had formed a tumour which Emily showed me how to find & Nettles second leg was being affected now. Nettle's skin was rather yellow too because her liver was affected (hadnt noticed that). I cuddled her & she gave me a couple of her funny little squawks & we said goodbye. I wasnt too upset this time, there was no option I was saving her from paralysis & she's had a long & happy life for a chicky with mareks. She was 5 1/2 years old.
Nettle & friends..........
Image Image Image Image Image
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
stripeddonkey
Lively Laner

Post by stripeddonkey »

Sorry to hear about Nettle's passing. Sounds like she had a great life and you prevented her suffering.
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Kitty, I'm so sorry to hear about Nettle {hug} What a marvellous life she's had, and a good end with care right the way through. It must be so difficult having mareks in the flock, we all know what that means for the chicken and you did the right thing letting her go before she suffered too much. {hug}
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

So sorry to hear about you losing Nettle, Kitty. She would have had a marvellous life with you - and that's what it is all about. Lovely photo's.
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Hi sorry to hear/read this .
Hope you are ok .
Never gets any easier know matter how many chocks you have.
Bob
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

The runs are now pretty wrapped up for the winter with extra tarps & reed screening (got this dead cheap in toolstation). Unfortunately the rats have started digging in there again, they must be getting too fat to squeeze through the wire now, & they know the cold is coming, blooming things! I hope Bill & the girls will shelter in the run today then Giblet will have some company, she is looking a bit sad lately.
--Immanuel Kant
Linda S
Legendary Laner

aaRe: Blind Giblet & friends at Chickenopolous

Post by Linda S »

Aw bless her little heart she has a lovely life with you Kittla many people would not have let her live let alone go above and beyond for a disabled little girl :-D

I'm sorry about you loosing Nettle {hug} she is a gorgeous girl.
What type/breed is she i ask because our little Jemima who has gone to lI've with friends is very much like her in her colouring, but maybe slightly darker.

Jemima looks like she has had golden yellow round the edge of her feathers from the top of her head to right down onto her shoulders. :-D
Lindaxx
And then there was one, Again!!!!
Jemima
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Little Angels Free For Ever
Honey,Lizzi,Peggy-Mitchel,April,Hope,Faith,Blondie, Sorrel,Scarlet, Penny, Gabby, Rosie, Chick-a-Dee
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Remembering Our Beautiful Foster Boys we are so sorry that we couldn't keep you
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

Nettle was a pekin bantam Linda, with feathery feet
--Immanuel Kant
Linda S
Legendary Laner

Post by Linda S »

Thanks she was gorgeous I do so miss our girls :-D Lindaxx
And then there was one, Again!!!!
Jemima
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Little Angels Free For Ever
Honey,Lizzi,Peggy-Mitchel,April,Hope,Faith,Blondie, Sorrel,Scarlet, Penny, Gabby, Rosie, Chick-a-Dee
Remembering Our Beautiful Foster Boys we are so sorry that we couldn't keep you
amber66
Longlasting Laner

Post by amber66 »

So sorry to hear about Nettle Kitla.
{hug} {hug}
Amber.
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

Naughty chick chok is still on her own on the grass verge in the next village. She was just sitting there all puffed up today. I dont know why she doesnt stick with her flock, perhaps she's a last hen left - I dont see the others now. I'm being nagged to try & catch her again before she gets squashed or eaten - watch this space!
--Immanuel Kant
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Perhaps you should go along when it's starting to get darker, see where she goes off to nest and if not home you could nab her when she's sleepy.

How's Bill doing - has he got over his chest problem?

I wish I'd winter proofed my run, the snow's got in to the top part and the girls won't go there. Where did you get your tarp - toolstation as well?
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

I like using glass-clear tarps so they can still get a bit of sunshine through them. I get them from the omlet website & strap them down with bungees to stop them banging in the wind.
Of course they're only useful if you fix them up in the right place! All those extra tarps & screens I put up? I put them on the north sides - that's where the snow was bound to come from! This morning I woke to heavy snow blasting in from the east & the runs were full of it - poor Giblet was sitting in it as it blew in through the vent in her house. So, donned in my mad chicken lady's uniform (pj's, dressing gown, bobble hat & wellies) I pulled out the oldest tarps from the back of the shed, wrestled them onto the East sides, shovelled the snow out of the runs, put down fresh aubiose & opened up the coops. The chooks were very grateful, they stayed in bed till 11.00!! They only came out when I chucked down some mealworms, but didnt venture past the run door.
--Immanuel Kant