Feeding the hungry Birds!

All free living creatures around our Homes & Gardens - enjoying helping them helping us
wildlifemad
Lively Laner

Feeding the hungry Birds!

Post by wildlifemad »

We had about 4 inches of snow yesterday so it is a very busy morning on the feeders today. I filled up feeders in the dark this morning ready for the busy breakfast period! Imagine my delight when I walked into the kitchen just as it was getting light to find 3 Redwing & 1 Fieldfare feasting on the apples I spike in the dogwood!! Cracking birds, just waiting for anything else rare to turn up today! The other birds who are regulars are Goldfinch, Greenfinch, Chaffinch, House Sparrow, Blue Tit, Great Tit, LT Tit, Dunnock, Robin, Blackbird, Starling, Collared Dove, Wood Pigeon. Its a good job I bought 6 pks of Wonky Apples from Morrisons last week.
Anybody else got some winter visiting birds?
Mo
Legendary Laner

Re: Feeding the hungry Birds!

Post by Mo »

I have blackbirds and fieldfares in the orchard, maybe thrushes & redwings too, but can't see them from the window so only glimpse as they fly away. Fieldfares are easy to identify and I do enjoy seeing them. Plenty of berries on my shrubs too.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
wendy

Post by wendy »

Yes My feeders were very busy yesterday, as we had horrible snow all day !
My sky TV also went off so I spent an hour watching tem as best I could.
The usual birds and some I don't know the names of. Never thought of putting apples out. I have a couple a bit wrinkly, I will go and do it now. Thanks
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Gosh they need our help at present !!

I just looked out front window....

Blue Tits, Coal Tits, Great Tits, Dunnocks, House Sparrows, GS Woodpecker, Goldfinch and Blackbirds scooping up the droppings !

In the back, not so busy but both gardens at one point totalled 29 birds !!

Not very good through the sleet, rain and wind .....

[center]Image[/center]

Richard )t' )t'
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Grannyof4
Legendary Laner

Post by Grannyof4 »

Loads of birds. I have 2 feeding stations which in total gives me 4 x large seed feeders, 1 round fat ball (!!) feeder, a peanut feeder, another fat slab holder, peanut butter feeder and 2 dishes which have a mix of dried meal worms and sunflower seeds.
wildlifemad
Lively Laner

Post by wildlifemad »

The feeders have been busy all day, I had to fill them up again & put more apples out!! The Blackbirds here are addicted to raisins so if you have Blackbirds try putting them out & watch the reaction!!!!!
VERY IMPORTANT as I'm sure you all know but just a gentle reminder to put out fresh water at all times but even more so now it freezes. The Starlings were having a communal bath today bbbrrrrhhhh!!!!!!
Going REALLY cold tonight folks so get out there early tomorrow with that food for them!
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

We have to be so careful because of the rat population which live in our neighbour's "garden", so the bird table is as far from the hedge as possible. A few months ago we bought a tub of fat balls, which we put in the feeder, only to find that the birds were not interested, no blue tits came, and the sparrows weren't enthusiastic.

OH discovered that the balls are as hard as rocks, and has been breaking them up with a chisel and hammer. There appears to be no seed in them, just fat with some sort of meal. Once broken up, the sparrows are taking them, but still no blue tits. Ring doves, blackbirds, pigeons and the many jackdaws are pecking away at them.

When we next go into town, we shall get a stock of fat balls with seed in. Hopefully the blue tits will return.
wildlifemad
Lively Laner

Post by wildlifemad »

At one point yesterday I had 12 Redwing, 4 Fieldfare & 11 Blackbirds all on the ground feeding on the apples!! As well as the other smaller culprits on the feeders! Had a great day watching them & getting a few photos, didn't get much work done around the house though!! Oops!!!!
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

We got some different fat balls during the week, and I decided to buy some more yesterday. The ones for sale in our local shops were also hard as flint, so we came home without any. Has anyone else had this problem?
wildlifemad
Lively Laner

Post by wildlifemad »

Don't forget our little feathered friends in this cold weather folks! Especially as there will be little or no "wild" food left for them. Also don't forget fresh water for them. I have them all arguing outside at the moment, I just wish they wouldn't waste their energy!!
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

My fieldfares have been quite protective of the apples on my orchard floor - I see them chasing a blackbird off.
Still plenty left - I didn't pick the high ones.
So I keep moving one apple at a time to the bird table near the house, where the blackbird enjoys it. He prefers it cut into quarters.

There was a jay prodding at the grass just outside the kitchen window this morning. Much closer than usual - got a good look.
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

Sooo many birds around the feeders this morning, snow swirling around them, even a crow - that's a first! Right now I can see sparrows, a dunnock, a robin, blue tits, starlings, chaffinch, blackbirds, all hiding in the weeping pear & taking turns to hop on the table. The jackdaws, doves, goldfinches - and the crow have been & gone. I wish I had better trees & shrubs for them to shelter & nest in, I think that will be my mission this year. Now I must stop procrastinating and take the dog for a walk! .sn<
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

I can see part of my orchard from this window. I've had a crow today, too. And a pheasant. blackbirds and a whole flock of fieldfares. They do spend a lot of time chasing each other though there are plenty of apples for all. And the robin is on the bird table pecking semi frozen apple.

Thinking about flocks squabbling
a) I've noticed previously that flocks of starlings are far less spread out than flocks of thrush types
b) haven't seen any flocks of starlings this year, many that's because I no longer put out meat bones & fat (cooking just for me I'm nearer vegetarian)
c) why do they flock together if they are going to chase each other
wildlifemad
Lively Laner

Post by wildlifemad »

It has been very busy in the garden as expected but yesterday I had a total of 21 Fieldfares eating apples, we have 1 or 2 when the weather turns but never had that many! I went through 20 apples in the day, lots of mealworms & suet pellets & kept putting fresh water out. Starlings was a new record total of 47! I was surprised I didn't have more little birds down so not sure if the argumentative Fieldfare have put them off! I was having a batch cook up so could watch the birds all day & pop out when the Blackbirds sit on the fence looking at me for their raisins! Its not a frugal week for the bird food. My neighbour has her shopping online from Morrisons & luckily they delivered this morning....my 10 packs of wonky apples!!!
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

another visitor to the bird table
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant