Central heating on timer or thermostat control?

Thrifty tips, ideas, news & experiences on anything around the home to shopping to re-cycling etc.
wildlifemad
Lively Laner

Central heating on timer or thermostat control?

Post by wildlifemad »

We don't really use the gas central heating much as we have a log burner so just put it on when we want a boost. However, we are going away at Christmas for a week & can't decide if the heating would be better on the timer for 2 bursts a day (that's the max we can set it) or should we just put the thermostat on a certain setting so it kicks in as needed. Any thoughts anyone?
manda

Re: Central heating on timer or thermostat control?

Post by manda »

During the winter we use our heat pump (we don't have central heating here and it's worked out the cheapest way to take the chill off the house because the heating isn't have to start off from scratch to reach the temperature....also if you have a cold snap while you're away it'll make sure your pipes won't freeze perhaps.
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 4 dogs, 6 cats, a cow, a few sheep, Angora Goats and ???? chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Yep, agreed, best leave it on thermostat.
Bit like a Water Heater, switching it on/off lots means it has to start up all over again.

Richard
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

I'm not sure about the physics there Richard.
I turn mine off at night and the house loses less heat (because the difference from outside temperature is less).
But there are 2 things to think about - are you worried about how cold it might get to freeze your pipes, or are you wanting it to be comfortable when you get home.
To keep things from freezing turn the thermostat to an minimum and leave it on. Any extra heat you put in will just be lost and heat up the outside.
But it will feel chilly when you come back.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Of course when you are in the house things might be different. If the thermostat is so low that people feel cold they might turn it up too much and waste fuel that way.
A question of finding what works for you.
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Can't you do both? When we go away we leave the timer on, and set the thermostat lower. That way we know that the heating will only kick in at a certain temperature, to stop the pipes from freezing. And it keeps the cat warm :-D If in doubt, youc an change your timer settings to a bit later in the nightt o make sure it doesn't freeze overnight.
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
wildlifemad
Lively Laner

Post by wildlifemad »

Thanks your replies folks. To be honest the boiler is always "on" as such but the thermostat is turned down to the lowest it goes (10 degrees) & never kicks in when we are here. It is more for keeping the chill off whilst we're not here so I am put the thermostat at 11-12 & leave it like that. When we are on our way home (if we're not snowed in at Scotland!!!) then I can phone my lovely neighbour who will pop in & turn it up for us so its nice & warm when we get home, I guess that's a win win situation!
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

That's a good idea. always best to try and keep the walls a bit warm.

Richard )t'
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

I am the odd ball. I put my central heating on when I am cold, and switch it off when I am not cold. I put more clothes on if I am feeling a bit cold. When I go away I don't leave it on, my pipes have never frozen in 20 years of living here. I am not used to a house being heated all the time, makes me feel sleepy.

Ilona
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

I can't sleep in a heated bedroom - like it to be warm (ish) going to bed and getting up - I remember the ouch of icy mornings in childhood - but if the rads are on while I'm trying to sleep I'm most uncomfortable.
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

I just got my gas bill . Reduced to 21 pounds a month from 33 pounds . Will not stay like it as getting used to the heat in the house and spending more time at home.
Just ordered 3 more ex- army blankets . Maybe the dogs will let me have them.
bob