A couple of ideas for the chicken run

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
cgisby
Longlasting Laner

A couple of ideas for the chicken run

Post by cgisby »

Hi all, it's been a while since I posted here, hope you're all doing well

I lost one of my chickens a few weeks ago, so I've decided for Spring I'm going to change up the run a bit and introduce 2 or 3 new chickens. Just have to decide what to go for.

Has anyone put a compost heap in their chicken run? I'm thinking four pallets to make a square and putting the heap in there, obviously keeping in mind what's safe for chickens. Can't help but think the added movement of the chickens scratching through might help the compost break down? Not to mention their manure should surely help?

Also, and this one might be barking, but I was going to make a wall of pallets and plant herbs/strawberries/maybe other stuff in the sides. Obviously anything low down will get decimated but the higher up plants should hopefully be fine, and once they start dropping fruits it should keep the chickens entertained (in my head at least)

Anyone tried these before?
3 chickens - Petal, Hermione and Snowy
Frog crazy

Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Re: A couple of ideas for the chicken run

Post by Gwenoakes »

Compost heap in run sounds like a good idea, but I am not too sure how long it will stay within the pallets. Oops, just re-read your post and noticed that you said 4 pallets, so would maybe work.
As for the flowers/strawberries my ladies can fly up to the wire on the top of their run and that is approx 7' tall, so for me I am sure it would not be a good idea.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Gwenoakes wrote:Compost heap in run sounds like a good idea, but I am not too sure how long it will stay within the pallets. Oops, just re-read your post and noticed that you said 4 pallets, so would maybe work.

Even with 4 pallets my thought was that you'd be shoveling it back in when you mucked out. But they would enjoy it.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Hi I have pallet flat , leaning ,branches wire divides in the run , Use them for escape routes for bullied hens ,boys. They roost up at about 5 feet . Even the heavy breed girls and Desmond can get up 4 foot or more with little take off room.
Bob
Always worth trying but plants no chance .
Bob
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

I've heard about putting compost heaps in chicken runs, I have a feeling someone on here used to do it, there's plenty online about it - one here https://hencam.com/faq/compost-in-the-chicken-run/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
cgisby
Longlasting Laner

Post by cgisby »

Thank you Kitla I've bookmarked that! Certainly think it's worthwhile doing the heap in the run. At the moment I use one of those plastic compost bins bought from a garden centre, it's naff and I barely get anything from it. At least this way the compost gets done and the chickens have fun

As for the wall, I'm still going to give it a go but sounds like it might be a wasted endeavour. If it's successful, fantastic. If it fails at least I'll still have a wooden wall I can paint up instead of having to look at the old concrete wall that's currently behind the run :)

All this will be after Christmas of course, currently trying to DIY a log store for my dad with no daylight to do so }hairout{
3 chickens - Petal, Hermione and Snowy
Frog crazy
scbk
Lively Laner

Post by scbk »

I would say, don't put a compost heap in the run, but make the run a giant compost heap! Add a few planks to the bottom of the wire all the way round to help contain it. then just chuck anything in there, leaves, grass cuttings, sawdust, woodchip, used bedding etc etc
The hens will love digging about in it all. And once the bacteria gets going, it's very clean, barely any chicken poo!

Probably works best in a run with a roof.