serving sprouts

Recipes, Cooking tips and maybe some 'Home Made' secrets !
kitla
Legendary Laner

serving sprouts

Post by kitla »

I thought I'd be adventurous this christmas & do something interesting with the sprouts. They arent very popular here (just a christmas habit) so I cant upset anyone much. Anyone have any favourite ways of doing them?? - not too challenging - I've seen things like almonds & bacon but never tried before as my boys have always been fussy, but are now more willing to try new stuff.
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Re: serving sprouts

Post by Gwenoakes »

Same here, no one really likes them except me.
I roasted them with a drizzle of maple syrup over, then put them round the meat last year and everyone ate some of them.
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

it's many years ago in my previous job, our catering did a special one off Christmas meal that you had to book in advance unlike the usual cafe stuff - room decked with high end market decorations, table cloth and cloth serviettes, silverware etc with a proper restaurant style roast (turkey, beef and pork - choose one on the day or a bit of everything) served with professionally prepared vegetables. One year the only veg they did were cauliflower cheese and sprouts ... suffice to say I didn't like either but my plate would only have had roast potatoes, some stuffing and turkey on so I politely asked for servings with intentions of leaving them. Of course I had to pretend to eat some first and - wow, I don't remember sprouts or cauliflower cheese tasting so good.

The sprouts were tossed with pine nuts (the resinous taste of the pine nuts gave them a completely different flavour but I think they were tossed in butter and had a hint of herbs too but I can't remember - try googling for some recipes) I like the idea of chopped bacon which I might try. Normally I just cook the peas in the same pan as the sprouts (minimal water until cooked - I then add some of the juices from the tin with the roast turkey (covered in bacon) & roasted veg to make gravy ... with the peas and sprouts still in the pan :oops: )

The cauliflower cheese must have had mustard in as it had a bite with it but so creamy too - it was divine.
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

you could always try them .... battered & deep fried BBC news link

Probably none of these are appropriate for Christmas dinner, but maybe worth trying after the festivities are over

Fried breaded brussel sprouts

Beer battered sprouts

Beer battered sprouts served with maple-mustard dipping sauce
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

ooh not sure I fancy breaded, fried sprouts! Though I'd try one if offered. Maple syrup sounds a nice, simple, yummy idea.
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

I know I'm too late but if you've bought more sprouts, as there are lots reduced in the shops now.. cook them first, but not to mush, then toss them in a pan with some butter, bacon and chopped up chestnuts. If you are feeling adventurous you can add a squirt of lemon juice, or a sprinkle of coriander or nutmeg. I love sprouts. I did them with bacon and chestnuts this year. )t'
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

I was in the BIG supermarket this afternoon, saw the lad who marks down the veg. He said they were selling off bags of sprouts at 1p each this morning, and they still couldn't get rid of them all. A lot went away in a skip, I think they send their waste to the power station. I missed out on that, but not to worry, I still have some left which I bought eight days ago on a yellow sticker. I like the taste of steamed sprouts.

Ilona
manda

Post by manda »

How did the sprouts go Kitla?

I love sprouts )grin2(
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 4 dogs, 6 cats, a cow, a few sheep, Angora Goats and ???? chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

I ended up doing them with chopped onions, chestmuts & butter. They were ok really but most of my lot picked out the bits of chestnut so I wont bother again!
--Immanuel Kant
manda

Post by manda »

What a bunch of heathens {rofwl}

I love them roasted with balsamic and whole garlic cloves too...maybe they would go with that ...or not )grin2(
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 4 dogs, 6 cats, a cow, a few sheep, Angora Goats and ???? chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Oooh never tried roasted sprouts. Might have to give that a go. My husband won't eat them but I love them
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
manda

Post by manda »

)like(
I can honestly say I've never met a sprout I didn't like )grin2(
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda