Sandy's Pink Ladies

Start your own thread and let us follow you through the year
sandy
Legendary Laner

Re: Sandy's Pink Ladies

Post by sandy »

HP so sorry in the delay for thanking you for those instructions, to be honest so busy at the moment I dont think i have the time or the confidence to do a good job, the good news is Andrea found out how much I had paid and told the receptionists the fee was actually £9.13. I have actually left Lottie at the vets while I fitted in going to the cinema one afternoon and delivered her early afternoon while I did a spot of food shopping! Well she has had her bandage changed every saturday,tuesday and thursday but she will have to miss the saturday one this week as working but Andrea said her foot was healing nicely and she is walking well. Have shut up their garden much to Dottie's disgust and covered most of their run with decking squares and concrete slabs to ensure she dosent get her bandage wet as for the first time tonight she was out of her hamster cage. Bless she had to sit in there and wait for me to get home in the dark some nights. She got herself up the ladder into the eglu all on her own, she is lifted out in the morning as I lock her and Dottie up every night mainly to stop them chasing the abundance of cute field mice that are everywhere now in mine and the Ped run. A few nights ago had to dig out a hole behind the cube wire up and cover in heavy stones as a ratty mustve got in!
Veronnie has finished her meds, bless such a good girl taking them and pleased to say no signs of anything resembling a cold or bad breathing.
Audrey laid yesterday and obviously today as there was a broken egg with a thick shell in the cottage.
Fay looks like she has a furry crop, her feathers are coming out so weirdly, still has her wig. She, Veronnie and Audders still squabbling at night time.
Ordered stalosfan as Ped's house a smelly quagmire but they are all in good health.
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/

sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Lottie is still going up 3 times a week for a bandage change, this time couldnt make saturday so she has had to wait until today from thursday. Andrea is on hols so Chris did the change, her foot is looking very good, he reckons two more bandages and then she can be free of them. She is limping unless there are treats about and then she can certainly move!
The Peds are driving me crazy, having to put four to bed everynight from the top of the duckhouse and the five rammed into the duckhouse with Suranne poking her head out when they have a nice little greenhouse heater in the coop is senseless! This afternoon when I got back from vets I bordered up the entrance to the duckhouse which of course caused a great up heaval. Jen,Ivy,Lil and Miriam wouldnt let the others get up with them and Ivy was head butting the large ceramic bowl at the entrance to the duckhouse. One by one I out Thelma. Louise, Suranne,Ivy and Rita into the big coop, I put the big flower pot in front of that pop hole, I then loaded in the duckhouse top girls and the squabbling }hairout{ Eddie was sat outside their run waiting for me all the time. I had just locked their outside door when little Lou pushed the flowerpot over and ran in the duckhouse. Scooped her out and returned her to the coop, waited a good ten minutes , must have been too dark for her to try again. It is hazardous in the Ped run at night nearly trip over the tons of field mice!
My girls all well, Veronica laid her very first egg 2 days ago, quite small but good, not sure I want an old lady laying? Audrey just chats all the time and Fay is so raggedy with her moult.
Did a rescue of 190 hens on sunday, some resembled posh gils others so few feathers. Had to spray quite a few with gentian violet for small bloody wounds, only two poorlies, soon perked up with a warm blanket and some vitamins. Cobi wanted the vey dark brown girl which unfortuantely got picked up for a rehomer, oops , sorry this is something wrong with this hen I lied, sprayed her comb so she wouldnt get chosen again and Cobi could take her home. I took 6 girls for my friend, bless one of them had her head out of the side slit on the 30 mile journey. One little hen was so oven ready and so tiny but my she was feisty. Doing another one the 17th, must try and sort out the soft mud behind coop before then +f+
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce

bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Hi Sandy signed up for Welfare hens and fresh start .
Before I had been told about the 7 newbies arriving . Still have room for a couple more but would like to keep for emergency rehoming .
Plan to bring you a Xmas present ,ready into that coded message. Sunny Clucker is missing you. Show you the snaps of Manda etc.
So if you come towards London let me know and meet up with you.
Bob
Linda S
Legendary Laner

Post by Linda S »

Brilliant rescue Sandy {hug} Well done all of you who took part.
Didn'the you sneak any girlies home with you, can you remember Ace always got one girl from each rescue that she did. :-D
Do you rescue for Fresh Start Sandy we got all our lovelies from them, the last two lots from Ace.
Good luck for the 17th off topic I'v just realised it's my eldest lads birthday my next doors lads and would have been our Joyce's.
I like the little white lie about the little girl for Cobi a girls got to do what a girls got to do to make things right {rofwl}
We have had some tiny girls namely Honey and Faith , our Honey only had 3 days but she blossomed in that short time, and Faith was a tough little nut and only got all her feathers when she stopped laying , and her voice was a mixture of Pat Butcher and Foghorn Leghorn.
Oops sorry Sandy I got carried away talking about our girls sorry for taking over your thread {hug}
Lindaxx
And then there was one, Again!!!!
Jemima
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Little Angels Free For Ever
Honey,Lizzi,Peggy-Mitchel,April,Hope,Faith,Blondie, Sorrel,Scarlet, Penny, Gabby, Rosie, Chick-a-Dee
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Remembering Our Beautiful Foster Boys we are so sorry that we couldn't keep you
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
amber66
Longlasting Laner

Post by amber66 »

How are you and your girls Sandy?
Amber.
HilierWard
Lively Laner

Post by HilierWard »

Hi Sandy

how are you and the girls?
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

You're very quiet Sandy, hope everything's okay
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Fifth attempt by phone so sorry not replied will do ASAP when pc working so sorry thankyou so much x

KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Oh there you are! Are you having computer problems? It's HIGH TIME you got yourself a tablet - go pick one up in the sales :-D
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Hello everybody )wav(
Girls mainly all okay, been messing about in the Ped House mainly, so much yucky mud spent a great deal of time digging up the smelly bits. Have spent a great deal more moneywise with stalosfan being liberally applied. Ordered 20kg of rough grit to spread all over yucky bits, after another torrent of heavy rain had to order another 20kg. I like using this as sticks in the mud and makes it easy to walk around and the girls can of course munch on it. Much to Mr Ped's annoyance put down a large pallet, a tyre and lots of stone slabs so the girls now actually have cleanish feet. Their food bowls were getting awlful, cleaned them all up and now with cleaner feet(yes I know girls never really have clean feet) the bowls and their waters are much more wholesome. Rats are tunnelling in, so Mr Ped has chucked down pellets and covered them with a stone! Manged to stop the ones that were getting in mine by digging a big hole and filling in with house bricks. I will be digging deeper when weather better and use netting and cement. Pleased to say the tiny little mice are back, a good sign the rats are gone. I found igloo dustbathes online so went mad and bought 4 of them, unfortunatley I can only get one in the Peds house but it is ideal as it is covered in and keeps dry and they love it. Lottie and Dottie of course will not entertain it, probably a bit scary for such little divas. Not filled in the other two as my big three have lots of places to dustbathe in the dry. I have also gutted the Ped's coop and the duckhouse , sanatised and put clean 'sheets' in, the girls are clean, dry and happy so dont care what their daddy thinks! Now I dont have to constantly cut mud balls off of Thelm's feathery feet, not the new name , no longer Thelma! Rita Woo is getting so tiny, is so light and not laid for ages but my goodness she is one bolshy lady who is always at the food bowls first. Suranne insists on following me everywhere, she kept a very close eye on all the new furniture being put in her run. Jen had a very hard crop last week , noticed when I was putting her to bed. Spent a good ten minutes giving her a good massage, pleased to say crop back to normal.
On new years eve had visitors who are a bit scared of hens so took each one of my girls up to the house one by one to greet them, naturally the girls were well behaved with the exception of Fay who went completely still , a wild look on her face after the initial struggle of catching her. Honestly when I had Fay she actually got on my lap now she has gone true to the Woo and is quite terrified of me!
Veronnie first laid an egg this year Jan 21st she regularly lays on her night time perch every other day , luckily they are mainly intact as they fall on the soft dry mud, today she actually laid in the cottage. She was very wheezy , I was supposed to take Audrey up the vets for her follow up but took Veronnie instead on my birthday, Chris the vet said I though Audrey was orange? He gave her septrim and for the past 3 weeks she has been fine though this morning had a sneezing fit so popped a bit of tylan in her water, probably because the obstinate girl will sleep on the perch where the rain drips in on! I move her and the other two when it is raining heavy and do they make a fuss! Audrey wouldnt eat , she had tablets for 5 days and got better but a few days later wasnt well again, back to vets and had another course of tablets for 7 days, thankfully she has been fine, infact she runs about like a big orange fluffball on speed! Hence when she was due for a check up on the 2nd I took Veronnie up instead. Audrey also waited until the 25th to lay this year and is now doing them every few days, very large eggs.
Fay made us wait even longer and the first blue egg this year appeared yesterday, in the office of course. Bless Fay the other day she was asleep in the corner of the office leaning against the photo of Abbie.
I bought 5kg of flubernet pellets , what was I thinking of? 15 hens to worm, anyhow ordered another bag but the company said there would be a weeks delay! Had already given the girls 3 days worth then had to stop! The other bag has come , dated until March so will order another bag and re worm end of February.

sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Veronica was sneezing again a few weeks back, I phoned vets and asked for septim, didnt want to take her in as had limited time I could do. I was really surprised when they said I could pick up the meds on the saturday morning, they rarely let you have any without seeing the patient. When I got to the front door on the saturday there was a big notice up stating no birds would be seen due to avain flu yike* Now bearing in mind on the lock down last year they had no such rules and at the present time hens are allowed to be transported(just done another henny rescue) I emailed them to ask them what had prompted them to such an action, pointing out the current Defra rules. There reply was they were obeying guidelines they had been sent(didnt say by whom) and if I had a poorly hen the vet would come to the car park to see to her. Can you imagine the lovely mess in the car with a vet prodded and poking a ehn that would of course would have to be out of her box >coc< Thankfully the septrim and a ten day dose of tylan seems to have done the trick but trust me any hen that , god forbid , has a prolapse or is choking will be taken straight in.
The girls, thankfully have been fine, Dottie has joined the layers and did her first 2018 egg on Feb 7th. The girls are on the last day of worming, 10g has seen to 13 girls and the boy quite well.
Mr Ped has put a super duper new very expensive plastic type roof on so no more mucky mud and have been able to remove lots of stones and the pallet. Mrs Ped was complaining Rita has not laid, so heyho was going to get two more of her kind as she loves the blue eggs, I said no no no, you cannot throw 2 new girls in with 9 others again, did that some years ago and one hen was almost eaten and the other starved, luckily Mr Ped agreed they had enough hens . I was going to smuggle one of Fay's eggs in , luckily I didn't as Rita laid that day, 2 blue eggs would have really confused them!
I have been making the big 3 sleep in the cottage as didn't want Veronnie to catch any chill, of course had to lock them in which was a pain as when Audders lays she kicks all the bedding everywhere and every night had to sift it out of door slide. Then a few nights again Veronnie got into cottage on her own so no need to lock the door now as she seems to have decided she would rather sleep there.

sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Well thank goodness i washed and cut off the muD off of Rocky aka Thelma's legs gave her curling toes a trim and trimmed Lottie's claws, and how lucky Mr Ped's house is now waterproof. Last night Miriam scrammed my hand while putting her to bed, lots of dettol had to be applied then a few hours later and ran into the kitchen to answer the phone and over I went! Iv'e fractured my wrist and will be in plaster for 8 weeks }hairout{ This morning was a challenge feeding the girls and poo picking their beds, poo on the ground will have to be left for now but its not too troublesome at the moment as its frozen . Took quite a time to smash the ice so tomorrow i will use big dog bowls for water as I can stamp on them and according to the forecast it is going to be antartical for the next 10 days. I bought a pair of cats clippers and after tuition from fellow bhwt friends i cannot believe how easy it is to clip their claws. I shall be calling around to Mr Ped later for his instructions on how to tuck his girls up for the night. He may also want to pop Ritas eggs in somewhere warm as there is a good possibilty he could hatch a silkie/Woo chick since Rocky has taken a shine to the not so keen Rita.

bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Hi Sandy , silly girl , look after yourself , How will the flocks survive with out you.
Let me know if I can help at all.
bob
Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

Hi Sandy - poor you - sounds like you are in the wars. Hope your wrist heals quickly. It's no good being incapacitated when you have all these girls to look after!! Take care.
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

The past few weeks have been the most challenging i think ive had since the swap day and night of Abbie and Alice back in 2009. I expect you know the first week of breaking your wrist is ***** painful and it is no use whatsoever so I was so happy to see the snow, NOT!
Luckily I was signed off so at least I could go down and smash the waters every hour with my good hand. I found a lovely nice leg warmer to put over my cast and with the aid of a stick out bit of metal on an old chair by the run I could take off the plastic gloves on my right hand. I had only thrown away my garden coat days before as my friend had given me her old skiing jacket bu† the sleeves were so narrow they wouldnt go over my cast. I had to use my lovely George duvet coat, I couldnt do up the zip so wore my body warmer underneath and did them both up with the poppers, I looked a dead spit for the michelin man!I know we had the snow lessser than most of you but we had huge drifts and the wind insured snow covered every part of my girls and the Ped;s run even though roof covered. The poor Ped girls spent most of their time stood in the big coop, poor girls had red feet and Im afraid both them and mine have scaly leg mite which I will treat when this cast is off as can only pick up a girl one handed despite the pain lessinging,sorry typos will appear! Veronica very sensibly slept in the coop but Fay and Audrey insisted sleeping outside, tried one night at minus 5 to grab FAy under right arm but i dropped her in the thic k icy snow so had to get the torch to guide her back up the ladder. Audrey did have a bit of frosetbite on her comb but healed up now, Fay's wig is huge so she was fine.
Veronica still sniffly though fine apart from that, been on tylan for over a week and blessed Bob has sent me some more as I cannot get up vets, strangely no one wants to give me a lift with a hen!!!!!!
Right thats it sorry left hand aching and must post on Linda/s