Miss Piggy's foot - is this a bumble?

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
jaxhen
Lively Laner

Re: Miss Piggy's foot - is this a bumble?

Post by jaxhen »

The link to the Backyard Chickens article is the one I also found and very useful to keep as a bookmark.

I use small tubes (25g) of Activon Medical Grade Honey. The price varies where you buy it from and I usually pay around £3.50-£4.00. A tube lasts 90 days after it's been opened and a little of the honey goes a very, very long way. I do use Sudocrem, mainly for scaly leg, but the honey is a completely natural product and is used on human wounds.

The post on Amazon will tell you a bit more about its uses.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Activon-Medical ... B003O31U86" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Manda's right about the focused spot/scab in bumblefoot, but I've also had scabs on several of my girls' feet that turned out not to be bumblefoot just to frighten me!!

Freeranger
Legendary Laner

Post by Freeranger »

I think this is frostbite as well - it doesn't look like bumblefoot as it is more like a blister than a boil. So she should be OK as long as the foot gets a chance to heal and isn't just getting more of the same conditions. Check that the floor of the coop is dry, and that there's enough escape ventilation at the top for condensation. Maybe it would be possible to give them a dry area during the day - a clear paving slab or something else that they can stand on rather than damp earth or snow, and extra coverage of the floor of the coop in very cold weather. I'm not sure what the honey would do here because the problem is probably inflamation rather than infection.
jaxhen
Lively Laner

Post by jaxhen »

Seems as though most of us agree that this isn't a case of bumblefoot.

I think the honey would be useful for Miss Piggy if the blister got damaged in any way and it would help with the healing process.
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

the Honey seems a good thing to keep in the cabinet, I think I'll get some, might even try it on my son's skin problem.
I think Misspiggy's frostbite would probably have happened during the snowy time we had before xmas. The run is roof covered & partially tarped, but the snow came from a different direction than I'd expected & I'd put the tarps in the wrong place, hence the run got fullof snow. I cleared it, but MissP probably found a frozen puddle to stand in!
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
jaxhen
Lively Laner

Post by jaxhen »

I'm sure many of us have been caught out in a similar way. You can put tarps up and the wind can change direction, often during the night when you can't do much about it until morning. Even with tarps up, snow can find its way through even the smallest gaps.

My chicken keeping friend has had great success on her own skin problems using the manuka honey as she can't use steriod creams. Hope it helps your son as well as your girls!