treatment for atrial fibrilation

Maintaining a better wellbeing, mainline or alternative
albertajune
Legendary Laner

treatment for atrial fibrilation

Post by albertajune »

I have had atrial fib episodes which sometimes land me in A&E. It has been suggested that a pacemaker and partial ablation should be done but is up to me. I actually have my appointment for the pacemaker for the 9th March but am very nervous about having it done. Does anyone else on the lane have one and if so is life straight forward with having it in you?
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Re: treatment for atrial fibrilation

Post by Gwenoakes »

Sorry, cannot help you June, hope someone else can come along to put your mind at rest. {hug}
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Yes June. I have different heart issues from you, and have a bi ventricular pacemaker with defibrillator called a CRT-D. I was very scared about having it put in, but the procedure is fine. Afterwards, you are sore for a bit, but it heals quickly. I have had mine for 4 years, and have had no issues with it. There are a few things you have to avoid because of magnets (mri is a no-no, magnetic clasps etc), but other than that, no issues with it at all.

They told me at the time that I may (only may) need an ablation, but so far for me, that wasn’t necessary.

I have just come back from 2 days of tests at Papworth Hospital, to assess if I was suitable for a heart transplant. The outcome was yes I was suitable, but it’s not yet necessary. I can return to them if my heart gets worse. Feeling very relieved!

Happy to chat about any questions you may have June. Please pm me xx
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

A Great Aunt had one and it made an enormous difference.
best wishes.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

Thank you both so much for responding so quickly.
I'm glad that your are going on so well with yours Helen. I would have had no idea that you have heart problems and hearing how well you are makes me feel much better.
Having the pacemaker fitted is only half of my treatment. I will also need to have a partial ablation at a short time after. I have atrial fibrilation episodes which means I can go for weeks feeling fine and then end up in A&E because my heart can't be brought under control. If I go ahead with the procedures I will be able to leave off medication which is gradually numbing my toes.
I am having to decide while feeling well but know that when going through an episode would do anything to stop it.
Thanks again xx
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Hi June. I have just re-read (and edited) my post, and just wanted to say that when I said life was normal after my implant, what I meant was that there were no problems with my actual pacemaker! I’m afraid my heart condition affects my everyday life considerably, which is why I was referred for a transplant assessment. I have lost one job and am about to lose my other as I have been off for a year now.

I hope your pacemaker and ablation helps you feel better {hug}
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Wow, you never really know how other people are being affected by various things. Hugs to you June and also you p.penn. {hug}
Freeranger
Legendary Laner

Post by Freeranger »

No indeed. Best wishes to you both.

My Dad was very nervous about having his fitted, but the op was straightforward and he instantly felt very much better - more energy and more confidence to get out and do things.
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

Freeranger wrote:No indeed. Best wishes to you both.

My Dad was very nervous about having his fitted, but the op was straightforward and he instantly felt very much better - more energy and more confidence to get out and do things.

Good to hear and reassuring.
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

I have cancelled the surgery booked for Friday as I am not completely happy that this is right for me.
It is the ablation that worries me as it is a permanent procedure. A part of my heart that regulates heartbeats will be permanently be destroyed making me completely dependent on the pacemaker. It will not stop the atrial fibrillation, just stop me feeling unwell from it. As I haven't had an episode of AF since late December, I have to weight up if such invasive surgery is worth it. AF is not life threatening but does make me feel so ill if it goes on for hours.
If I have to eventually go down that road of course I will but at this moment feel that I want more discussion about it. The surgeon did initially chat to me for about 10mins but it was only on reading the literature that he gave me that has made me so undecided. In fact the worry of having it done is taking over my life. The first thing I think about each day and the last. I only cancelled yesterday and was told that the surgeon will phone me, hopefully. I had tried to talk to someone sooner but had no luck.
Even with the pacemaker I mustn't raise my arm above shoulder level or reach forward for a couple of months. How do I change my bed, get in my coal and logs and even clean out my chicken house. It is only doing these things that make me pause and think on how will I cope. Just wish I could forget about it!!
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

{hug} {hug} {hug} {hug} {hug} just for you June.
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Of course it’s your decision June. I would say that having a pacemaker implanted is really isn’t as bad as it sounds, and a very routine. It’s actually reassuring to know that it’s there, and making sure your heart beats. I’m sure they wouldn’t have suggested it if they didn’t think it would help you. {hug} I do understand how you feel though, as I was very scared.

The ablation procedure is straightforward I believe - similar to an angiogram (if you have had one). Did you know that the British Heart Foundation has a free helpline that you can phone, with any queries or worries? They are really nice and extremely helpful. {hug}
Helen xx

albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

I didn't know about the heart foundation help line. Thanks for that info Helen.
I had phoned the cardiac dept for answers to a couple of things that are bothering me but no one could do so. The ablation bit is the thing that bothers me as a node in the heart is permanantly destroyed with no going back and my heart will be completely dependent on a pacemaker. The surgeon has said that the AF is not life threatening and has offered to do the surgery because it makes me feel unwell when having an episode and because I live alone.
l also have severe back pain for which I went to the pain clinic this week. Further treatment for that is being put on hold until the heart treatment is sorted. Being in so much pain makes me feel that this is my priority as iit is a daily problem which affects my mobility. I honestly don't know which way to go.
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

June, the helpline number is 0300 330 3311. Apparently it costs about the same as an 01 or 02 number to ring. I have contacted them a couple of times, and they were fab. Do have a chat with them.

I can understand that being in constant pain makes everything much harder for you. {hug} I also understand the concerns around living on your own. I managed the chooks ok though.
Helen xx