karen's chicken diary

Start your own thread and let us follow you through the year
Midders
Lively Laner

Re: karen's chicken diary

Post by Midders »

what a lovely clean chicken house! I am having a battle with mud, a fight I am currently loosing, so its lovely to see a pad so neat and clean!

sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Nice des res )t' I think Marley should be a house cat too if she is getting bullied, my Aunty got a rescue cat in August , a lovely tabby who she is frightened to let out as my Aunty is very slow in movement . Issy has so many lovely toys and a great climbing tower and seems perfectly happy.
Hope Tiddly is okay? She may of course have a complex from being called Tiggs?
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

I can't believe how daft my chickens are. Well, I can really - I don't know why I said that!

Terrible weather again today - this winter has just been awful so far - so into the greenhouse for a scratch and a perch. Tiggs and Pokey seem to be having minor moults, and both like to fly up and preen on my knee, but Pokey keeps squaring up to Tiggs (quite unsuccessfullly) so they are mortal enemies at the moment. So I have to somehow get them to face in opposite directions on my knee, as if Tiggs sees Pokey looking at her she'll have a right go. So poor Pokey is up & down, up & down... anyway, Tiggs is semi-snoozing on my knee and Pokey, having been chased down again, decides she wants to sit where Tiggs is - so she does! Flies up and sits on Tigg's head! Absolute bedlam, as you can imagine, and Tiggs is shocked and furious! yike*

Dory Grey meanwhile is in Woo-World, and quite happily so. No sorties against her from Pokey so she seems secure in her position.

Marley is doing well, still keeping an eye on her in case the paw flares up again. She's also in & out, happily coming & going as she feels like although we are keeping her in at night. She's spending loads of time indoors now, has become really quite friendly (even almost with hubby) and has discovered the delights of stretching out in front of the fire. She seems like a happy cat {hug}

Better go and make sure everyone is ticked up safely in bed. The new roosts are going down a storm, with Dory and Pokey. We think Tiggs is still sleeping in the nestbox underneath, which is a worry as it is usually covered in poo the next day - and Tiggs is looking the worse for wear on her feathers. The coop is so much tidier and easier to get into without straw everywhere, but the roosts themselves are getting a bit grubby by now what with all the muddy claws that are trampling over them!
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

FANFARE PLEASE!!!

Dory Grey is laying again! )pty

I thought she might be getting ready - her Combes plumped up and is lovely red. Today she was fussing about in the coop, and whinging when enticed out. Went in to poo pick and there it was! No inadequate 'getting back into the swing of it' eggs from Dory - no, a lovely firm blue egg.

Pokey shows no signs of laying. Her comb is tiny, and she appears - like Tiggs - to be having a mini moult which is surprising as she's supposed to be Point-of-Lay. But hopefully when spring arrives she may start.

Tiggs is unlikely, her comb is still purplish and she's a bit slow, shedding the odd feather. Don't know what's going on there, but she seems happy enough in herself.

After having had to buy eggs for months, were growing our own again! )app(
Karen
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Karen i am sure the problem with Tiggs is she has an indentity crisis {warn}
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

LOL Sandy I think Tiggsy Wiggsy, Tiddly Widdly knows who she is :-D

Just like Pokey Pops, Pokey Popsicle knows who she is, and Dory Greysie, Dory Greysie-Maisey, Dory Grable knows her many names as well

But speaking of Tiggsy Wigs, which I admit is a hangover to Tigger's nickname that just stuck (as Tiddly and Tiggsy were so similar and I am getting older!), you may remember that I've mentioned she seemed out of sorts and with a purply small comb. Well last weekend she sat on my knee and I noticed she was breathing heavy and her nostrils were sort of puffing out, so straight on the tylan she went, and has been getting special doses of it al to herself as well to make sure it's definitely going in. It was exactly what Toffee did and I never connected it to a respiratory problem, and we all know how that turned out: Toffee died, quickly followed by Gabby and then Nugget who now I am convinced all - maybe even gabby - had respiratory problems.

Anyway, Tiddly Widdly (Tiggsy Wigs!) has bucked up no end, her comb is a lovely pink colour although still on the small side and I haven't noticed much more puffing, although I do need to keep an eye on her. Dory Greysie-Maise and Pokey Popsicle seem fine too, although Dory is definitely more whittery than usual now that she is laying again - an egg every other day!

So fingers crossed any respiratory problems have been caught in time and Tiggs continues on her road to recovery. It does make me feel even guiltier for not treating Toffee, Gabsy and Nuggsy in time though {cry} but as long as the lesson was learned and I can help Tiddly out then it will have been worth something
Karen
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

The Beast from the East has hit and left an inch or so of snow, which is not too bad considering what it's like in some places! Marley wouldn't go out and of course blamed me for the snow; the girls on the other hand are straight out and wandering around, even Dory Grey who refused to leave the run when there was snow previously! yike* Obviously eastern snow is much better for genteel top hens and all to step foot in

Tiggs sorry Tiddly continues to worry me, she is quite puffed up now and her poos runny again today. Still out stuffing mealworms so we'll just have to see what's going on there. She's breathing better, and she and Pokey came in to the kitchen for a break yesterday when it started snowing (Dory was in the coop laying). They had a good nose around and left a couple of poos

Got to take hubby for a check up prior to a minor op soon so wish me luck driving up to town in this snow!
Karen
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Be safe.

Bob
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

The Beast from the East hit with a vengeance today, especially this afternoon. It was so cold and snow was blowing everywhere so I let the girls into the utility room where they happily sat on the step and gossiped, ate bread and raisins and spilt their water everywhere.

Poor Tiggs us so up & down, I am worried about her. One minute she's dashing round scoffing, the next she's huddled and miserable. Poos fine & then runny. She does not like getting her feet cold, but she's been pottering around in the snow.

Pokey makes me laugh, she's the only one to go off the track and plough through the snow. It's lying quite deep in the garden, I have a picture of Dory up to her stomach in it, her little legs completely covered! .sn<

Anyway, hubby and I discussed it and we decided to bring the girls in overnight, so they are tucked up on one of their mobile perch nest box combo in the downstairs loo. Tiggs in the nest, pokey on the perch and Dorey on the loo seat! The next few days are supposed to be as bad, not sure what we'll do overnights for them. I had to catch & carry all 3 in, doubt Dory will let me do that again, and pokey rode on my arm.
Karen
Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

You have got some very pampered girls there - their own apartment in your house )like( They wont want to go home after all that luxury. I am just hoping for the best with Rose and Vi. The nest box is nearly full to the roof with straw and we have put vaseline on their combs and wattles. Keep running down to defreeze their water and checking on them. Lots of tasty morsels to eat - fingers crossed!!
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

The girls seem to have weathered their new B&B arrangements quite nicely, which is more than can be said about our floors. Especially since they keep knocking over their food and water bowls. This morning they came charging out of the downstairs loo and explored the whole ground floor happily, chasing the cat away and eating all her food. I tried to entice them out into the garden - which has had yet more snow - with bread but they gave me a disgusted look and bust past me back into the kitchen. I could just hear them complaining to each other: 'Does she think we're mad? We're not going into that killer white stuff again! I nearly got swallowed up by it yesterday!' 'I know! Do we looks like we was 'atched yesterday?' 'I couldn't feel my feets all day! Why is this cat food bowl empty?'

Poor Marley was being traumatised and my carpets ruined so I decided it was better to confine them to the loo and tiny hallway. They've been bored, and have spent hours knocking on the door to get out so I went and sat with them for a while just before bedtime - they are now happily snuggled up in their nestbox (Dory and Tiggs) and Pokey is on the roost bar.

Tomorrow we'll try again to get them back out into the garden as the forecast isn't as bad overnight. I think we might have to dig them a pathway though. And I'll do a bit of windproofing of the run - I've got some massive rolls of bubblewrap which I'm going to staple to the sides of the run - it'll do as a temporary measure until I can sort out some proper tarps or something
Karen
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Mean tto say - I hope everyone's girls and boys and other furries and fluffies are coping okay with the weather.

Spare a thought for poor Sandy, having to cope in this awful weather with her broken wrist
Karen
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Man, what a night!

The girls settled down happily in the downstairs loo again after some cuddles with me. They were bok-boking this morning as their water was spilt and all their food was gone. Had to drop hubby off to work so when I got back I dug them a path right from the back door all the way to their run, then seeded the trail with mealworms. They chittered so happily when let out of the loo, had a good explore and a fair few poos in the kitchen and then when I went off for a work call. When I finished, Dory was nowhere to be seen, the back door had blown shut and Pokey was in the cat litter tray! Tiggs also came in from the utility room. I followed the Dory tracks and she was muttering in the run, so I gave her a load of mealworms and they are all now in their run, chattering and complaining and eating mealworms. The snow had drifted in all over the run so I brushed it out and will now go and lag it with bubblewrap as a short term measure.

The real fright though was 5am this morning when there was an almighty wailing and screaming from Marley who was chased up to the bedroom by the bloody bully cat, who had somehow got into the house and was terrorising her! He must've pushed through the cat flap before it got a chance to shut. {mr.angry} She is traumatised, poor love, and I think hurt although I can't see anything. No doubt a vet visit brewing. I am kicking myself because we normally lock her in overnight but she hasn't been going out because of the snow, so we forgot last night.

The worst of it is, the little bstard walked around as if he owned the place even as I was chasing him out! Honestly, if I wasn't such a nice and peaceful person I would have a bloody gun on him.

I'm going to have to have words, although they won't do anything I know.
Karen
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

I brought Tiggs in again yesterday in the afternoon as she looked so cold & miserable in the run and her comb had gone purple again. She seemed quite happy inside, then I took her back out again so they could all stay together in the coop.

This morning, they all seemed quite happy although the snow had gone all over their run again and they were hanging round the coop doorway. Anyway, as the weather has warmed up slightly they've stayed outside, and been in the greenhouse and run with the ocasional foray over to the bird feeders. Tiggs is okay although still slow and sad. She seems to be moulting from her head and neck, poor little mite.

The big news is Pokey is laying!! )c( So that's Dory Grey and Pokey now, and we have a basket already full of Dory's blue eggs with Pokey's 2 very light brown ones. We had Dory's for lunch today and the yolks were a beautiful deep orange, more than we remember them!
Karen
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Everyone seems to be doing well, fingers crossed! I read somewhere that chickens moult starting from the head & neck, which confuses me because Tiggs is moulting from there and has been moulting for ages now, so don't tell me she's started a new moult?? yike* Anyway she seems fine, comb a bit pinker now the weather's normal again and eating for Britain bless her. I think I might give them some sardines today, they all seem desperate for some protein.

Pokey and Tiggs have an ongoing battle for dominance going on, in Pokey's head. Tiggs easily asserts her authority but Pokey gets jealous. Yesterday I was in the greenhouse with Tiggs snuggled up on my knee. Pokey is up & down, up & down - she can't settle, and is of course disturbing Tiggs. So I scooped Tiggs up and brought her up to my chest, which she seemed to love and snuggled down into my arms and snoozed, and seemed a lot happier when she knew Pokey was lower down than her. Pokey saw this, and immediately wanted to be where Tiggs was - you know the way they keep looking at you when they are going to hop up. She was purposefully eyeing my arms, my shoulders, my head and most of all where Tiggs was.

Next thing I knew, rather than jumping on top of Tiggs, Pokey had burrowed her way underneath her, and was lying flat as a pancake on me with her head buried under a very shocked Tiggs, chirruping away happily! {rofwl} I was laughing my head off, I couldn't help it. Poor Tiggs was most upset!

Some random photos of the girls in the snow and in the thaw, and one of Marley just for good measure. See if you can figure out where the girls spent a lot of time hanging round... Dory Grey is on a mission in all of her photos :-D

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Karen