Blind Giblet & friends at Chickenopolous

Start your own thread and let us follow you through the year
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Re: Blind Giblet & friends at Chickenopolous

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

wings crossed , baytril/ tylan and Metacam fixes her up and a stay in the big coop.
Bob

kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

Panic over for now. When I checked her later on Giblet had layed a good size egg & seemed a bit happier. Its possible she just had a stuck egg, which would explain her odd posture & the squirty poop, maybe even her odd breathing. I cancelled the vet today, I'll see how she is tomorrow.
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Phew that is good news! Let's hope that's all it was. Poor little Gibby. {hug}

We must put our detective hats on and track down where our favourite chicken vet has gone!
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

How is Giblet doing now Kitty?
Karen
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

Gib is much better most of the time Karen. Atm she's laying every couple of days & seems at her best after she's produced the egg. Then she eats well, goes to bed with a full crop & poops properly! In between she's not eating well & night poops are green & small. She is 6, perhaps her egg laying muscles are wearing out.
I went to clean out the main coop at about 10.30 this morning, opened the lid & found it full of chooks! They'd all gone back to bed - fed up with the rain I think
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi hope she stay well for along time to come. One of the old girls of the forum .
Bob
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Perhaps she is approaching the henopause!! :-D

Bob's right, she is one of our longer lived ladies now (with Wiggy and Posh) which is a fantastic achievement especially for a little disabled hen. Testament to the outstanding care she gets from her mum )t'
Karen
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

I think at 6 years old all my hens are now henapausal - (except Misspiggy who never seems to slow down & doesnt look a day older than when I got her.) Bonny & Beany are still beautiful, but a real couple of old ladies now. Bonny gets up late in the mornings, her eyesight in her one eye is not too good, she often ends up on her own when she hasnt noticed the others have wandered off. Beany's started sleeping on the floor of the coop instead of perching & in the morning she wont leave the run till Bonny gets up. She hasnt started laying again & I doubt she will now. Poppy is generally slowing down, often likes to hang out on her own & no eggs from her any more either. And well, Gibby is just old & strange instead of just strange! I spotted her bathing in the wet grass in the rain the other day :?
--Immanuel Kant
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

Beautiful Beany had a trip to the vet today. She's been producing those bubbly yellow poops that nearly always mean infection & when I felt her underneath she was very swollen. The vet found some hard masses & she has - well the vet kept calling her infection cloaca, now I realise she mean vent gleet. Anyway I have some baytril for her, which should make her more comfortable for the time she has left.
--Immanuel Kant
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi , it amazes me that they can survive the hardest winters and look forward to the sun . Then they pass away . Hope she can make the warmth of summer .
Baytril does work magic sometimes .
She is in good hands for sure.
Bob
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi what does are you giving her . Mine are .8 twice a day
Bob
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

bikesandbirdsbob wrote:Hi what does are you giving her . Mine are .8 twice a day
Bob

Of Baytril? 1ml twice a day, it's supposed to be diluted with 4 ml water, but I found that too much to get her to take.
--Immanuel Kant
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Oh Beany, what sad news {hug} I hope the infection goes soon and she can enjoy what time she has left.
Karen
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

She must be a heavy weight.
Bob
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Lots of >fi< and to Beany bless her
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/