Has anyone planted any veg yet??

Gardening to 'grow your own food' from square foot to half an acre !!
wildlifemad
Lively Laner

Has anyone planted any veg yet??

Post by wildlifemad »

As the title suggests I am just wondering if anyone has actually managed to plant any veg yet? It is just typical that the weather has been awful every time we have had time to get on our allotment. We have usually planted the garlic by now & would be well on the way to having all the beds ready & in a weeks' time we usually start planting potatoes. I know everything will catch up but we are getting very disheartened by it all. Added to that our new neighbours on one side down at the lotty has had a great clearing session (which is good) but in the process has took the netting down at the bottom which keeps the rabbits out to some extent so now they are having a field day digging! Oh well it'll happen in the end!!
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Re: Has anyone planted any veg yet??

Post by KarenE »

I know exactly what you mean about the allotment. I haven't been anywhere near mine, the weather has just been awful and I know it will be a quagmire down there, the soil is clay. I'm dreading it and I know there will be so much to do. Might hire a rotivator. At least the rabbits will do a bit of clearing and weeding for you! :-D

But yes, I have sown loads of seeds this week! Must update my gardening diary. Only in my greenhouse, and I don't plant potatoes or onions as they are quite cheap to buy. I'm hoping that by the time things are ready to be planted out, which feels ages away, the ground will have dried out.
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Since superstition says potatoes must go in on Good Friday I planted a token 5, but I think it's too cold really, certainly is for me.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

Too cold and far too wet in our neck of the woods. OH has spuds chitting in the greenhouse, and this weekend planted a small number in a bag, a la Monty Don.

Our ground is sodden, and though I wanted OH to get someone to dig over our veggie plot, he insists that he will try to do it himself. It has had a rake over, and nothing more.

We have broad beans which could go out if it was warmer.
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Nothing in as yet, but have potatoes ready to go when weather permits as still rather soggy here although not raining today as yet.
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

No veg yet though I did plant out the bare rooted raspberry canes on Sunday. Potatoes are still chitting but I could perhaps start planting them in the polytunnel ... the problem is to try and cross a very soggy garden to reach it and I'll have to make multiple trips to set up the pots.
wildlifemad
Lively Laner

Post by wildlifemad »

Our potatoes are sat chitting & have been since the end of January so they're bored now sat in the greenhouse!! Hoping to get to lotty on Sunday, have everything crossed!!
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

OH has fleeced the potato bed over to warm the soil up prior to planting. This morning he planted the broad beans which are starting to grow leggy. But it is so very cold and windy on the east coast. Land slowly drying up, thank goodness.