Henpen's hens and Eggstremely odd eggs

Start your own thread and let us follow you through the year
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Re: Henpen's hens and Eggstremely odd eggs

Post by KarenE »

Oh that is interesting because it's the tiny round seeds that go first - strangely enough the shrimps are Tiggs least favourite. Dory loves it all!
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper

bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Not forgetting the hedgehog that never got as far as the car park.
Captured by SHMBO .
Bob
Well I am famous for something...
Let me know another animal and I will give the crafty arty person a challenge to make it for you for Xmas.
Bob
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Same here, although why I am not sure my girls love trill.
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Frog must have heard about it and will be getting the bag full over the next few weeks no doubt . This is why I was holding the bag back. 39 chocks would give a couple of seeds each...
Bob
Thank you from Frog.
Bob
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

HP hope all well with you and yours and the wonderful Woo?
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce

HenPen
Longlasting Laner

Post by HenPen »

Poor Wiggy did her usual chilly-weather striptease and lost huge chunks of feathers last month. She didn't sail through it this time and it seemed to have hit her quite hard for a bit, but she is much perkier now that her feathers have come back through.

Of course, after weeks of treats to tempt her through the worst, she is now the world's pickiest chicken, eating fruit and sardines and grass and any worms she can find with great gusto, but turning her nose up at the corn and even the Garvos, both of which she usually LOVES, and the pellets aren't going down at anything like their usual rate. I am thinking it will soon be time to worm her, so that might put her back on track.
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

It's that time of year isn't it? Dory is still moulting, and she definitely was a lot faster last year with her first moult. Perhaps it hits them harder, the older they get? I've just bought some poultry spice to help my 2 through it. They didn't fancy the marigold flowers Bob gave us...

I can't believe Wiggy has gone off garvos!!! yike*
Karen
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
HenPen
Longlasting Laner

Post by HenPen »

Yup. It's bizarre. It has certainly slowed down the rate we were getting through that bag!
We have been doing grape chasing today - well, it's good to get a bit of exercise and I do love to see Wiggy in a hurry. Hens are just not made for running in a sleek and impressive way, are they? And surely there is no more ungainly hen than a Woo chasing a treat.
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Hows the Wiggy of all Woosworth doing HP?

KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

It's been very quite from the HP Saucies lately - hoping everyone is alright?
Karen
HenPen
Longlasting Laner

Post by HenPen »

Wiggy is a nicely behaved girl, most of the time. OK, so she isn't cuddly and the whole Benny Hill chase whenever it becomes necessary to pick her up can be a bit of a pain, but she is very entertaining and charming and we thoroughly enjoy her...

And then... the hot weather comes and there is an astonishing transformation in her personality. It was fine when she had henfriends, but now she is a solo chicken she is letting it all hang out and going completely Xena, and it is far worse the hotter the weather. Quite frankly, on hot days you have to make sure you are wearing nice thick jeans and proper shoes because she waits until your back is turned and launches stealth attacks. She will actually run across the garden to do it! Sometimes, it takes the form of "You're not getting the treats out quickly enough" pecks, which isn't too disturbing, but on hot days, like today, she will do the full leap, rake and bite (it's not a peck, she hangs on!) - I'm just lucky she doesn't have spurs. It's a bit like living with the hen version of the Incredible Hulk - "You wouldn't like me when I'm angry".

On the plus side, I'm leaving her out a bit more as I pity the fox that comes across an enraged Wiggy.

Right, I'm just off out to check on her - armed with grapes, although a shield would be favourite. Wish me luck! >fi< >fi<

(Oh yes, and another thing: she is laying at least every other day and has been for months - how is that for an older lady? She is an impressive, if formidable, mature hen!)
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

I can say you are lucky my boys do the same and my rear end must have the bulls eye target on it . They do have spurs and learnt how to use them , again a fox would know what hit them if they got close for sure.
Bob
(Enjoy the sun , have not seen it for a few days , have it back please.)
HenPen
Longlasting Laner

Post by HenPen »

Wiggy is back and peace reigns once again in the garden. I have had a few days of the good old, loveable, not-at-all-terrifying Woo following me around the garden, bokking gently and staying as close as possible, clearly enjoying the company and being (un)helpful with the gardening. I ventured out in a skirt and flip flops today and still have all my toes!

She is a multi-faceted Woo, that one.

I do feel a little sorry that I told on her for being a henopausal nightmare, but then who else can I tell that I was being terrorised by an Angry Bird?
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Perhaps Wiggy is developing multiple personalities- the lovely Wiggy Woo, Guru Wiggy (peace & love, man) and Xena Wiggy. Perhaps this is what happens with Woo Henopauses. Lots of us have this to look forward to yike*
Karen
HenPen
Longlasting Laner

Post by HenPen »

Perhaps the multiple personalities thing is her way of being both a solo hen and remaining part of a flock - she is simply taking on all the flock roles, as and when she feels like it )j; )de: +f+ yike* .ang.