Bad diagnosis for Mistie

Dogs, Cats, Fish, Parrots, Horses, ALL Domestic Pets
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Bad diagnosis for Mistie

Post by albertajune »

My little cat Mistie had been off her food for the last week so today I took her to the vet, thinking that she might have tooth trouble.
The vet felt all over her and found a massive lump on the right side of her stomach. She gave her a pain injection and I have metacam to give her each morning for this next week. I could go down the biopsy road but the vet feels sure that the tumour will be malignant as it usually is in cats. I have decided not to put her through this trauma and hope I have done the right thing.
The vet did say that if her appetite doesn't improve I will have to consider having her PTS as it will indicate that the pain killers are not working. She now sleeps most of the day, usually on my bed or in the porch where she watches the world go by. She is a shy little girl and still enjoys sitting with the dog and coming for a short walk with us in the evening. While she is still enjoying a quality of life I will go along with the vets advice although she did say that it will not be for long.
I feel devastated that she will also be gone soon and hope that I am doing the right thing in not having it further investigated.
I don't really know why I am writing this other than that I need to share my pain with someone. Selfish of me I know as no one can help but just needed to tell friends.
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
KathJ
Longlasting Laner

Re: Bad diagnosis for Mistie

Post by KathJ »

Oh June I feel so sad for you and feel sure you're doing the right thing {hug} You can spoil Mistie and enjoy the time you both have left together. I really feel for you and know you must be feeling devastated {cry}
Kath xx

Mum to my beautiful girls Lucy, Holly, Rosie, Hettie, Polly, Ruby, Lily, Penny, Gracie, Maisie, Molly, Evie and my gorgeous boy Toby

RIP my beautiful Ranger, Roxy, Bluebelle, Poppy, Speckle, Daisy and Honey xxxx
wendy

Post by wendy »

How sad.
You are doing absolutely the right thing. There come a time when they are getting too old to be pulled and messed around for a short amount of time on their life.
For animals you can love them enough not let the suffer. Sadly you cannot do the same for loved ones.
As Kath said, enjoy your times you have left and spoil her.
So sorry {hug} {hug} {hug}
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

I really feel for you, June. Please do not ever doubt that you are not doing the right thing by her.
Like has been said, enjoy her company, spoil her when you can and let her leave her life here and go to Rainbow Bridge when needed like the true animal lover that you are. {hug} {hug}
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

I agree {hug} {hug}
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

Thanks for your support. I know that you have been in the same position so can relive how you felt when in this position.

After losing Roy 2yrs ago, I said that I just wanted to be here for my animals. The only one that I worried about was Mistie as she is only 10 who I can't imagine settling anywhere else and could outlive me, Well Rosie my last chicken died only weeks ago, now poor Mistie is ill. I know in my heart it is silly but I feel as though I have wished their lives away.

She did have a little to eat mid morning which she hasn't been doing and is now under a bush somewhere having a sleep bless her. Seems that the pain relief is doing its job.
Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

So sorry to hear this June. The same thing happened to my cat 2 years ago. She lost a lot of weight and stopped eating. Vet could feel the tumour in her stomach. We tried going down the path of medication, which gave her a little more time. Unfortunately, she went down hill quite quickly and rather than putting her through an investigative operation, the vet advised us to have her PTS. I know it is absolutely devastating, but at the end of the day we have to do what is right and the kindest for the animals. My heart goes out to you as I know exactly how you feel.
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Oh June, I really feel for you, but think you are doing the right thing for Misty. After Bailey’s huge operation last year, and the trauma it caused her, I have to admit I would be very reluctant to put her through it again. She is almost 9 now.

Sadlt, watching our beloved animals reach the end of their lives, is the major downside of loving them so much. Sending love June xx
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

I feel for you June, it's a very worrying time. A few years ago my Freddie ( a stray I had for 7 years), stopped eating and became lethargic quickly. Vet said he had a lump in his tummy, gave me the options. I had to make a decision rather quickly. Not knowing how old Freddie was, the vet thought about 14, I decided I couldn't put him through all the trauma of tests etc, so he went to sleep there and then. I was in shock, the first time I had to do that, taking in a live cat and coming out with a dead one.

I took him straight to a pet crematorium, it was winter and the ground was too hard to dig. I spread his ashes in the border in the summer with a little ceremony.

Be brave June, you are doing the right thing. {hug}

Ilona
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

So sorry to read about Mistie June. Heart rending for you, with the loss you have suffered during the past two years. Poor you and poor little Mistie.

My little cat stopped eating, I tried all sorts of tempting food, but it was a one way trip to the vet. Losing our pets is the pits. {hug} {hug}
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Aw June I am so glad you have shared with us. You just know we know exactly how you feel. I felt awlful having put my old siamese Billie put to sleep and regret desperately I didn't have my Bouncer put out of pain when I found her dead in the garden with a broken leg . Whatever we decide it is like we are deciding over life and death but in this case I totally agree with your decisions. You love and spoil your little Mistie now and please look after yourself. I know losing your Rosie recently was so sad for you. I hope Richard can keep this wonderful place going for as long as possible so we can 'talk' to other people who can really understand us.
I want to give you a lovely big hug June {hug}
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

Hope Mistie is doing OK at the moment June and you are enjoying some quality time with her. Think what Sandy said is true - Hope Richard keeps this up as it's been (and still is) an invaluable way to share our thoughts and feelings with like-minded people. People that if we met in "real life" would certainly be good friends. Take care.
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

Thank you all you lovely people. She is a little brigher and although not eating much is asking for food. Last evening she came for a walk with me and Beau, even rolling on her back and swiping him as he ran by. She spent time on my lap before snuggling up on my bed.
Friday evening will show if she is losing weight but am sure she is not now in lots of pain. I know that her days are limited but I am sure I will know when her time is here. I feel a bit more rational about the final decision now.
Beau had dental treatment last week with an extraction so hating the vet surgery visits.
silverback
Legendary Laner

Post by silverback »

Not much I can say in the circumstances June, just a big Gorilla {hug}
I am old and wise, because I was young and stupid!.