chickens in hot weather

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
john h
Learner Laner

chickens in hot weather

Post by john h »

I always worry about how chickens cope in hot weather. We are due for a mini heatwave again next week, with temperatures due to rise here to about 25 degrees. There are parts of the garden which has shade, and the chicken house in the shade, plus I also let her out the front garden which is a lot cooler than the back (i only have the one chicken after losing the other a few months ago and she is doing brilliantly) at hotter times. Also make sure she has plenty of cold water, lettuce and tomatos and grapes etc. Am I worrying too much? I know there will be hotter parts of the country. Luckily living on the coast tends to be slightly cooler.

kitla
Legendary Laner

Re: chickens in hot weather

Post by kitla »

You're doing all the right things. On hot days my chooks are active in the morning, then sit around in the shade most of the day. If she's able to freerange then she'll find her favourite spots to sit out the heat, you could leave some extra bowls of water in the shady spots for her. Not too much lettuce though as it can give them the runs.
One other thing, I cant remember why, but I've heard when its very hot we should avoid putting the cider vinegar in the water as it affects their calcium absorbtion thus affects egg laying (or something like that)
Last edited by kitla on 23 Jun 2018, 08:52, edited 1 time in total.
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
john h
Learner Laner

Post by john h »

Yes, she' s out from 7 in the morning until 9 at night. She actually lives in the old outside toilet house attached to the house, has her nesting box in there etc. So at night she is completely secure, we have been leaving the door open a little at nights until the early hours as it has been warm, but it has mesh so nothing can get in. I suppose 25 degrees isn't too bad compared to a lot of places and other countries. I guess in some countries that would be quite cool.
john h
Learner Laner

Post by john h »

I read that about the cider vinegar too. Thanks for your advice.
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

John, you could also try sweetcorn or mealworm (or any other treat) bobbing - I do this lots with my girls in the heat. Put some sweetcorn into cold water and they have to dunk their heads in to eat the sweetcorn, plus it makes sure they get more to drink too. I've heard of some people freezing sweetcorn etc in water in ice cube trays and giving them those - could be good to pop plain ice cubes in her water too so she has a steady supply of cold water. Watermelon is also very good when it's hot. A low tray of water could be good for her to paddle in (mine don't, but probably would if it had sweetcorn in it!). I think they can cool down through their wattles, comb and feet so anything that targets these areas is good
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
john h
Learner Laner

Post by john h »

Thanks Karen, yes we have the mealworms, she loves those. I throw the grapes in the water for her too. I am probably being over worried especially as there is someone in most of the day, and perhaps 25 c isn't as bad as all that.
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

They may be expensive but I have been buying water melons for the girls
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
HedgeHugger
Legendary Laner

Post by HedgeHugger »

sandy wrote:They may be expensive but I have been buying water melons for the girls

Spoilt!!! I haven't bought any watermelon for me this year, too expensive lol :)

They seem to be pretty good at working out what's good for them. My 2 avoid the sun for most of the day, then loll around dust bathing until bedtime. With the occasional knock on the door or a shout for 'extras'.
I do have a lot of water bowls lying around as well as a pond.
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Hi , freeze blackberries a year before and then in water .Bugs , water and fruit.
Frozen sweet corn does not get a chance to melt. Plenty of shade. dirt holes . Water puddles soaked over night . eat is worse than the cold. lost feathers -skin sun burn......
bob
KathJ
Longlasting Laner

Post by KathJ »

Our girls seem to be quite stressed at the moment, we don't know if it's the heat affecting them. There seems to be a lot of feather pulling and Lucy is bullying Lily so much we've had to put Lucy into solitary confinement, she's become such a menace Lily is petrified every time she comes near. It's so stressful to me and them and dread going home because I don't know what I'll find {cry} We had rain last night though and today is much cooler so hopefully it'll pass and Lucy will have to stay in her own bit for a while but she's like a caged lion pacing back and to!
Kath xx

Mum to my beautiful girls Lucy, Holly, Rosie, Hettie, Polly, Ruby, Lily, Penny, Gracie, Maisie, Molly, Evie and my gorgeous boy Toby

RIP my beautiful Ranger, Roxy, Bluebelle, Poppy, Speckle, Daisy and Honey xxxx
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

They are horrors , need a puddle for them to scratch about in .
Bob