Eye migraines

Maintaining a better wellbeing, mainline or alternative
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Eye migraines

Post by Gwenoakes »

Went for an eye test yesterday and had a scan and was told I had the start of cataracts. To be honest that was something I had never thought of and believed it 'only happened to older people'. I am 70 this year LOL.
I have also been having over the past few months some pretty patterns, i.e. zig zagging at the edges of my vision, very pretty they are too. They only last for a few minutes and then disappear, so was not really too concerned.
I was told that I have eye migraine! I honestly have never heard of this before and would never have associated pretty paterns on their own with migraine. I always thought that migraine involved pain, some of which could be pretty bad.
Anyway have done a bit of googling and tbh am not too concerned, but wondered if anyone else on here had heard of or had similar.
KathJ
Longlasting Laner

Re: Eye migraines

Post by KathJ »

Hi Gwen, yes my husband has them. He completely loses his vision in one eye and when he went for an eye test was told they were migraine's. He says they vary in length from a few minutes up to a couple of hours sometimes. Don't think he gets any pain though just this loss of vision.
Kath xx

Mum to my beautiful girls Lucy, Holly, Rosie, Hettie, Polly, Ruby, Lily, Penny, Gracie, Maisie, Molly, Evie and my gorgeous boy Toby

RIP my beautiful Ranger, Roxy, Bluebelle, Poppy, Speckle, Daisy and Honey xxxx
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

I have had lots of problems with my eyes over the years and now find it is something I have to live with.
I have the zig zag white area in my eyes at various times but it usually goes after a while although sometimes it can take a while. So annoying!!
I have had partial detatched retinas which were repaired with a laser and cataracts removed from both eyes. The good thing about having this done today is that if you normally wear glasses you are given the choice of having the lens replaced rather than the cataract removed, which I did. I am now spec free except for reading as I was extremely short sighted to start with. I had worn glasses since a little girl. My problem that I mentioned at the beginning is that I have lots of jelly floating about in the back of my eye which gives me lacy floaters. Again a nuisance!
Our eyes are so precious and to be honest I don't look after mine enough.
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Thanks Guys.
I do not lose my vision, just makes it a little blurred, no floaters either, so must be quite lucky.
The optician said I could stick to 2 yearly appts and then poss in the future I will be down to yearly. He also said it would make my shortsightedness (if that is a word) worse, which it has done, also said I was still OK for driving as I am now, so should be a lot better when I have my new specs. I cannot afford to not be able to drive as we live miles off a bus stop and I need to go to the bank/build soc/accountants etc for work.
I have had varifocals for years now and never had any bother with them, not even in the beginning.
HedgeHugger
Legendary Laner

Post by HedgeHugger »

My husband gets them occasionally, but they go away by themselves and no lasting effects either.
fabindia
Legendary Laner

Post by fabindia »

Gwenoakes wrote:Went for an eye test yesterday and had a scan and was told I had the start of cataracts. To be honest that was something I had never thought of and believed it 'only happened to older people'. I am 70 this year LOL.

Wendy, went to see an eye surgeon in India about getting laser eye surgery so she didn't have to use glasses for distance. She was told that she was too old for laser surgery (65) but not only that, she had the start of cataracts and was recommended to have surgery to remove the cataract and replace the lens. She was got a second opinion at a commercial eye clinic when we were back in UK and they confirmed she had cataracts but said you have to be nearly blind before you can get them done on the NHS. They quoted a price which was over 3 times the cost of having them done in in India, so she had them done there.

They have a video link in the operating theatre there and so I was able to watch from a room outside on a TV. It was all very straightforward and each eye only too about 15 minutes to do.

Wendy's really pleased with the results and no longer need glasses for distance.
Michael
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Thanks for that info, Michael.
I still shudder at the thought of having to go into hospital though. I have a real phobia about it after lots of probs when younger and things going wrong with surgery not once but several times.
When the time comes I will have to have a stern talk with myself and get over it.
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

Eye migraine - yes I have had them in my right eye. An odd sensation. Length of duration varies, and I close the affected eye.

Cataract - just returned from Eye Hospital, for a post op check up. Consultant pleased with me, and said I can wait now until the other eye is bad before having surgery. I certainly wasn't nearly blind Michael. Perhaps it is the area you are based in. I live in East Yorkshire.
fabindia
Legendary Laner

Post by fabindia »

Spreckly wrote:I certainly wasn't nearly blind Michael. Perhaps it is the area you are based in. I live in East Yorkshire.

My guess it was more of a sales pitch from the company.
Michael
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

fabindia wrote:
Spreckly wrote:I certainly wasn't nearly blind Michael. Perhaps it is the area you are based in. I live in East Yorkshire.

My guess it was more of a sales pitch from the company.

You are probably right there Michael. When I had mine done my vision was just a bit blurry but could see with my glasses which I wore then.
I am now a widow and live with my memories.