Old hand made bricks

Share projects, share problems, share tips amongst each other.
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Old hand made bricks

Post by Gwenoakes »

I was lucky enough to get approx 1000 hand made bricks from someone offering them on Freecycle for free.
We have picked up approx half of them and cleaned most of them off as covered in mortar. Just need to clean off whats left on van and pick the other half up sometime over the next few days/week.
The idea is we need a pathway down to the chickens, had odd slabs last winter, but not very good. Thought we could incorporate the slabs we do have with the bricks.
Also any remaining can be used for work on stacks, walls etc as we are often asked to replace old bricks.
Going to look on Y...Tube for some inspiration, re design etc.
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Re: Old hand made bricks

Post by Meanqueen »

Fantastic find, I love 'free'. If I want something I let people know and they ask around. I don't do the freecycle internet thingy, maybe I should do. I got 500 bricks from someone knocking an outhouse down, they even scraped off the old mortar. A friend of a friend told me where this was happening, I was there with my car to pick them up. Five trips, 100 bricks each time.

ilona
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

Hard work Gwen! And you still have to lay your path, but what a gift!
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Path is laid and we are really pleased with it because it looks like it has been there for ages. I have bought some camomile (sp) seeds to put in the cracks to hopefully make it smell nice when we walk on it. Not sure it will work, but for the price of a packet of seed worth a go.
There are about 400 bricks left over, so plenty for chimney re-build should we get that type of work or maybe another project when we think of it. LOL
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

excellent )like( good find