My attempt to keep chickens.

Start your own thread and let us follow you through the year
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Re: My attempt to keep chickens.

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Hi all , heavy rain this morning , rough night sleep all added up to suffering day.
Bed early again tonight .
Let the Junior out with his mum`s pm and put them back when I get home.
Its a struggle , what takes minutes is taking me ages .
Bob

bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi all , all good this morning , flock let out at 6.00 am and boys let out in the run.
Junior has been named as scramble . Let the family out this afternoon .
Egg count is down due to molt and rest period. A couple of broody .
Bubbles still in doors and eating on her own . Eye sight is bad as I would expect .Still on Tylan .
Bob
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi , yesterday a neighbors son named Junior , Scramble ... Seems reasonable name. Promised him the first egg it lays.....
Junior Scramble , is still free ranging in the boys coop,run and anywhere he feels like going , even with Goldie calling him .I think Scramble Junior will turn in to a big chicken as he is already eating bits of sweet corn.
Not sure when the chick feed is not need anymore . Plenty of it left and sure the flock will eat it if Scramble Junior does not.
Have to investigate how long it will be before I call him or a her .

rest out free ranging , few eggs every day . 4 so far .
Bob
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi all , It is a bit sad when I stay in bed as long as I can (6.00 am ) and have to go to work and wake the boys up by letting them out to the runs and feed and water .
I have been lucky this week as supposed to be at work at 5.30 am , but do not want to wake the neighbors up.
Still early but not as bad as 3.00 am for sure .
all good . Bubbles was out for a time in the garden with the flock , but she still needs to be fed her own food as she would not get any .
she sound crockie today , so may give her some metacam and baytril .
Needs a good wash this weekend .
Scramble Junior is chirpy and has the freedom of the boys run , which is a really safe place because nothing can get him , like Indie the cat . She has a noise making collar ( most annoying when she jumps on the bed in the middle of the night ) . She still caught a sparrow which was flying in my front room when I came home yesterday afternoon. Caught it and it flew away fortunately. So the collar does not work all that well .
Well week end is coming .
Bob
Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

Hi Bob - Glad all is well over there in your chicken coops. Be interesting to know if Junior Scramble is a boy or girl. Would love to see some photo's of baby. Weekend is nearly here so hoping for some nice bright weather - have a lovely weekend.
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi Techno beats me and my old nokia phone is not up to it. Will try and get some taken and sent.
Junior Scramble is doing fine , safe at present under the eyes of the boys , more often in there coop then with his mum`s.
Trouble ahead....
Some one arrived when I was not in pm complaining about the `BOYS` 4.00 am. wake up calls.
Well on went the collars black improved (Except Desmond and one of the terrors and could not catch that one. ) Well 4.00 am I was awake this am as I can not hear them and did not believe they was awake .
Well I looked out the window as I heard Champ crow . Over the back some one had a light on and opened and shut the back door of his house .
Neighbors were off to work , returning from work . Dark still . Dressing gown on , out grabbed Champ , went for Desmond but missed a left hand grab and he was hiding .Left him as no way catch with champ . Noise would set them all off ,the girls included.
So I took Champ back to the back room . We settled down and he went back to sleep .
Trouble I have now is a very few people are not working early shifts etc and weekends .
Those that do wake /disturb my flock . They don`t mix . I cannot stop the dawn bird songs and sound proof the coops . 5.45 am I let the lot out and legged it to work by 6.00 am .
Have two options board them for a few weeks till the `HEAT ` dies down . Get rid of the boys or at least the terrors (not Jack) . MOVED BL---Y quick .....
Maybe a few bottles of bear will bribe the problem away.
Failing that I drink them and take it on the chin , loose the boys .
Last option to house just the boys boarding wise .
I wish I could say all well but it seems Night shift next week will mean I can not be there at 4.00 am to stop the start .
Champ / Desmond maybe my sleeping companion at work next week .....
Up dates Monday night.
Always something to keep me occupied .
A 24 hour bug is about so be careful out there , more people I have not been near are reporting sick...... Feel sorry for them as nought I can do but tell them they are in for a bad night .
Bob
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi all , well busy weekend . Have not heard anymore as yet from neighbor over the back ......
He knows my number.....
Well I have deep thoughts and after a good lay down . Thought back to the original set up before my second extension , third extension and the most recent fourth .
I had Parker , Lav and Champ. The internal wire was mostly still intact devideing the second from the first extension . Light bulb moment . Put the wire back re call the cockerel a dood1e Hall .
So doing a quick bodge After my 10 mile race Sunday . I moved the terrors into it , at dusk . I had to evict Joan , and Spec who where the only hens in it (what a waste .) . The boys had a wander . I tossed them in when they was not looking and shut the barn doors. A lot of effort to close as not used for a while left open .
They settled which was more than I could say for Joan . The spec went in the Cluckingham palace . Joan I caught after a lot of fuss on her part and put her in with Pom Pom . When I opened the door to her coop it was pretty full with her friends . Trust me to catch her with a sleep over night. Joan settled as I shut the sliding door so she had no choice . She is broody so done her a favor by getting her off her nest. Jack the eye ended up in the two Terrors coop , larger run. I went to bed .
This 4.00 am (Monday ) CHAMP kicked off and Desmond joined in . I grabbed Champ , caught Jack (Mistaken boy ) and ended up with the two of them on my lap . I woke up at 6 in out of sleep . CHAMP is my problem , he wakes the rest up. Night shift workers coming home and the day shift going out is the cause.
Bob
more to follow later .
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi all , well looks like a routine now Jack and Champ sitting on my lap on the arm chair , keeping them quite as possable.
Scramble Junior getting over a foot of the ground in one leap , Moe and Goldie are letting him wander about more on his/her own . Getting around the garden , even comes to the back door for treats.
well after a message from BHWT have ordered 5 hens as space due to the loss of my flock of late . Have said I can take 10 at the most if they need homes.
Yesterday evening , I was about to go to work and looked out the back door and a single hen was looking at me . It was the one that does not want to go in with the rest when called . Well moaning at her and at least had the sense to come and ask to be put away , I put her in the run with the others . Well I came home this morning and running around the garden was another hen . No idea where she was hiding at all. She was lucky no FOX visit .
My cunning plan is to put the new girls that have not been with Champ and Desmond in with Jack . Hoping that this will keep him quiet in the morning as no need to call the other hens. (Does not work for Champ though )
if I get some more I will split the other two terrors and put some in with them . Jacks old home and the run they are in at the moment . Maybe the new hens in for a surprise.
Well my head is pounding waiting for more complaints.
My van has been hit twice in 48 hours -1 a hit and run..... the other was another van straight into the back at a traffic lights. repairs in about a couple of weeks and at some cost to me . have to stock up with chicken gear I suppose as van not about for a week no doubt .
Back on my bike .....
Bob
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi all , I got home this morning , I turned my radio off in van , coasted up the drive , lights off , walked on tip toes in doors (all quite ) . No lights on up the stairs , stripped (not a pretty thought before bed , got in bed . Guess what soon as my head hit the pillar the boys started........
Their timing perfect.
I fell asleep and got up at 7.30 am . Let them all loose. well a bit of a lay in (as long as they did not start at 4.00 am and stop as tired .
Little Scramble Junior is full of life and exploring further away from his mum`s. they are now dust bathing and generally relaxed . Apart from a few hens that get pecked because they can.
Going to be interesting to see what the hens think of Jack and the terrors .
If I can share them out among them it maybe be a result. Not sure the hens will appreciate it though. I am sure they will be looked after once they settle in .
Going to lock them up and put the sheets down . No moon and cloudy night so maybe they will be quiet in the morning.
Bob
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi all , another lay in this am .
House cleaning and general tidy up .
Put a piece of square guttering up in the run hanging from wire .
Lots of heads pecking at the food . Make another a bit lower down for the short girls .
All good Scramble Junior doing well .
Interesting times a head , agreed that if someone whats my house they can have it for the right price . Next step is to find a place to move to . rent / buy.
Not far away -Rent anywhere if I buy . Work related.
Bob(Or not if I do retire.)
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi all , rescued another 5 hens Saturday.
I have put them with One Eye Jack to look after.
It seems to have gone well . He has shown them what to eat and keeps them safe from Champ`s envious eyes.
He does have a problem sleeping in the door way of the coop and the hens that want to come in cannot get through the door . I sort it out . They are also laying eggs on the run floor , in the nest boxes and still getting used to the fresh air. Did not get any extras so the 2 terrors are still on there own .
Have gone to my last drastic plan and put canvas sheeting over the Cluckingham Palace coop to make it even darker , but not sound proof.
I got out of bed 5.50 am this am , not saying they was not awake , just I did not or choose not to hear them . Late for work of course.
I have put my house up for sale as long as the right price is offered.
Looking for a place to move to / rent / bit of land etc. Not found anything so far .
May even retire when a suitable package is offered . So interesting times ahead .
Bob
Am I jumping or am I being pushed by my flock of hens .....
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi all , last night Jack had all his hens in the coop . All I had to do was shut his sliding door. I am pleased with him as he sits at the door way guarding them . He makes sure they know where the food is (Takes it from my hand and distributes it ). He has his special hen . She in returns pecks his feathers and makes him presentable.
The hens are , bare chested one , no underwear one , Topless one , a feathered one and a complete naked hen.
Got another lay in this morning , got up at 5.50 am (late ) but who cares , I don`t ) .
I actual disturbed them . Let them out at 6.10 am as light enough .
Bubbles is not well . I have put her back on tylan and Metacam. She ate about 50 sweet corn by hand , she is blind . So is a fixture in the kitchen , no trouble just
needs help.
Extra sheeting and neighbors shift pattern has made it better in the morning .
6 eggs from new girls so 1 pound off 25 pounds I paid for them . 144 eggs girls and you are free of the needing to lay.
Scramble Junior is bigger and more lively .
Rest of the flock are as good as expecting , Evil eye sight failing , Rocky still full crop as she always had massage now and again to help her . Pom Pom is beating all around her , just stopping being broody .
Hybrids from the last lot I rescued are still objecting to go to roost with the others .
So a flock of 38+1 - 5 boys 33 gens , 1 Junior .
So a lot happier , long may it last (till summer anyway. Getting the flock used to a lock up (winter bird flu alerts - cannot see it not happening ).
Bob
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

crikey, Jack should be renamed Hugh! +f+
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi well it was good while it lasted .
This morning the wake up call at 4.00 am . Champ taken in doors and they all settled again . He snores (lucky him) eventually got moving at 5.30 am . Locked up flock in their runs as raining and still dark . Let them out later .
8 eggs from new girls 142 more to go.
Scramble Junior is growing .
Bubbles is not to good . Her right eye seems to have shrunk . Left eye is open but weak .
She will spend the rest of her life in the house . She is getting med`s and food and water .
Happy as I can be at the moment.
Bob
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi all , 4.00 am no wake up call ,fell back to sleep , 5.50 am woke up for the dogs. Still quite . I even left the terrors out in the run on perches . Well done boys. Let them out before work in the garden. New girls looking happy .Well done Jack. Bubbles eye (right ) is coming back to normal . Eye is swollen similar to the left . She seems happy enough on top of the dog cage in the kitchen , gets off now and again.
Next hen on the need to watch and spoil is Evil . She is /has lost most of her sight. She slept in the run , put her in the Pom Pom coop for the night . Found her perched on the water trough a bit wet .
Scramble Junior growing every day . Due to find her own way in life as 4 weeks old .
9 eggs today another 4 from the new girls 1/15 th of paying the costs.
Harley`s leg has got the big lump on her front leg -vet appointment .
Bob