tomato soup

Recipes, Cooking tips and maybe some 'Home Made' secrets !
kitla
Legendary Laner

tomato soup

Post by kitla »

I have a glut of mini tomatoes & have decided to make soup. The skins wont matter if I blend it up (I hope) & I can freeze it. I thought it would be straightforward but each recipee I look at if different, some suggest carrots, some garlic, I had thought just a bit of onion. Any suggestions on what's worked best for you?
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
Mo
Legendary Laner

Re: tomato soup

Post by Mo »

I like my tomato soup quite bland - the packet 'cream of tom' in the kitchen lists more potato starch than tomato powder + a bit of milk. I think I would want something to bulk it up. Carrot could be a good idea, I have made and enjoyed carrot soup. Pubs seem to add coriander (? can't say I'm bothered)
Depends how YOU like it - maybe try it the way you first thought, and taste it. You can always add till you get it right. The main thing is to take notes on what you did and how it came out and keep them somewhere you can find them next year. Like this thread, if you would remember to search (and Richard didn't have a spring clean)
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

that's a good point, I can start with my basic idea & add more stuff if needed.
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
Freeranger
Legendary Laner

Post by Freeranger »

I think the thing is that unless you have very flavoursome tomatoes, the water content of them can make a soup seem a bit thin in both taste and texture. The additional veg make the texture more soupy, but I always add more flavour too.
I found carrot helps, but I also used to have a recipe that included potato. Neither have strong flavour, so you can just improvise with what you have, along similar lines. I always use a vegetable stock cube, and add both garlic and tomato paste. You can also herb it up with whatever you like to add - basil works nicely.
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

Finally made the soup. Huge pile of cherry & redcurrant toms, a v small carrot, bit of cellary, half an onion, half a jalapino, cup of stock. Very yummy & with a little tingle at the end!
--Immanuel Kant
KathJ
Longlasting Laner

Post by KathJ »

Sounds yummy )like( I've got tomato soup for my lunch but unfortunately its out of a tin {cry} We didn't have so many tomato's this year. Its strange some people have had loads and others not so many!!
Kath xx

Mum to my beautiful girls Lucy, Holly, Rosie, Hettie, Polly, Ruby, Lily, Penny, Gracie, Maisie, Molly, Evie and my gorgeous boy Toby

RIP my beautiful Ranger, Roxy, Bluebelle, Poppy, Speckle, Daisy and Honey xxxx
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

We've had loads of toms this year and I've just made a yummy veg soup of tomatoes, carrots, onion and courgette with mixed herbs and vegetable stock. All blitzed together and it was lovely )t'
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper