Starting my diary

Start your own thread and let us follow you through the year
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Re: Starting my diary

Post by KarenE »

Hello Hilly

Poor Spooky, it doesn't half take it out of them. Mealworms, sunflower seeds and sardines in tomato sauce - fed seperately of coruse as poor Spooks is probably hanging back for fear of getting jostled by the boisterous non-moulters!

It's good to hear Little Momo is doing well {hug}

Fresh start for hens rescues seem a bit sporadic lately, but you could check them - they have better word on their facebook feed rather than their website. I think there's a rescue coming up at british hen welfare trust too. Might be some local rescues near to you as well - have you googled? Also people do occasionally want to rehome their hens so check the 'hens needing homes' page on here and the dtl facebook site too. In fact someone in Thirsk is looking to rehome some hens at the moment on the hens needing homes section here.
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper

bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Bird flu may put a stop to it , Let you know.
Bob
HilierWard
Lively Laner

Post by HilierWard »

Fortuitously, I received an email on Monday from BHWT asking if I could rehome some caged hens. So we are having a further 4 on Saturday from Ashbourne.

Crumb ordered, just need to reattach the coup to the run, where I had cleaned it out when the girls moved in with the big girls :-D

Little Mo is doing well, although her comb is shrinking. She doesn't seem in pain and there is no swelling. She is also running around with the others.

Specs has grown all her feathers back, but her comb remains almost white.

Spook is having a massive moult and remains squealy..

Matty is the only one laying.
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

New girls )t' so glad they will be residing with you.
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
HilierWard
Lively Laner

Post by HilierWard »

So, its just over a week since the new girls arrived. These are really quite big girls in varying degrees of baldness. As always, seeing them "settling in" made me extremely anxious - pecking, chasing, pulling feathers, blood on combs.....they seem now to be getting on ok. They still have "that smell" and the poo isn't right. All 4 will come to the wire and accept grapes and sweetcorn off me. That took 3 or 4 days.

Little Mo - is growing feathers back which are darker than her original. Her comb is back to red and she looks so healthy. I also think she has laid a couple of eggs this week. But having been on Baytril, we cant eat them...

Tracy hasn't been very well - swollen undercarriage - although no mess or mucky bum. Straight off to the vets and on a course of Baytrill too. Course now completed, she too is looking well.

Spooky is still growing feathers back after a massive moult.

Matty is laying an egg virtually every day.

And yesterday, we had 3 from the new girls and 2 from the old. Matty and Mo (I believe).
:-D
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Those new girls are just ready for spoiling and don't they give some love back .
it is an experience that everyone should have , would make them a bit more appreciative of food on the table I think .
Bob
(Well done)
Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

So glad your new girls are settling in well Hilly. It's so lovely that you have been able to give them forever homes and all the love and attention that they deserve. Enjoy watching them blossom.
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Oh Hilly there is nothing is there like watching those lovely little batties blossom )like(
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce

KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

How are the new girls doing now Hilly? Are they enjoying the snow?
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Hilly yoiu are long overdue for an update :-D

sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

sandy wrote:Hilly yoiu are long overdue for an update :-D

HilierWard
Lively Laner

Post by HilierWard »

Oh my word - how long has it been!
{cry}
Such a lot of heartache this year. Little Mo went downhill and very poorly. PTS in May this year.

August - Spooky poorly. Spooky had x-ray and Ashley saw there was almost no substance to her bones, bits of shell in her abdomen and fluid everywhere.

August - Tracy poorly, had x-ray, again lots of fluid. he said the best thing for her was to PTS. He did a PM and she had tumours on her ovaries.

August - partners 50th on 15 August. got phone call later that night, his dad had been taken into hospital. He died early hours on the Saturday.

Matty - poorly for the last 2 weeks. First time I took her, the vet said there was nothing wrong. The second time I took her, the partner of the practice first said "I know nothing about chickens" but gave her some nutrients. Saw Ashley 2 days later, who has confirmed infection in her which was leaking into her organs. So will keep an eye on her and before she looks to be suffering, that decision has to be made.

Had said (again) after these 3 there wouldn't be any more - its too upsetting. But have ordered a further 4 from BHWT on 10 November.

Phew - that's a very busy summer in 1 post. Hope everyone is ok and I promise I will come back soon
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

oh dear, sorry you've had such a stressful year, have a {hug}

Did your hens get actual xrays or ultrasound type scans? were they very expensive? (they certainly will have saved you alot of appointments & meds while trying to guess what was wrong & maybe never knowing)
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
amber66
Longlasting Laner

Post by amber66 »

So sorry to hear you have had a sad and stressful year HilierWard. Something nice to look forward to re 10th November. {hug}
Amber.
HilierWard
Lively Laner

Post by HilierWard »

Thanks Amber

They were actual x-rays - Ashley showed me them on screen and talked me through what we were looking at, I paid £101.80. The reassurance that it wasn't anything we were doing in keeping them, was worth it. We always question ourselves xx