Fleas

Dogs, Cats, Fish, Parrots, Horses, ALL Domestic Pets
Tink
Longlasting Laner

Fleas

Post by Tink »

I have two rescue cats who I use flea drops/tablets from the vets. ( Misty was recommended a tablet by the vets ) To be honest it costs that much that I have been giving them every 5 weeks to try to eek them out as so expensive. I suspect that they still have live fleas and I despair but of course can bring it down to monthly. The female insists on being out for long periods and I wonder if they/she is sleeping on an infestation. Does anyone else have a similar problem as over the years I feel that flea treatments are less effective and of course very expensive. Thanks.
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Re: Fleas

Post by albertajune »

Fleas can be an absolute nightmare. I had a problem with my cat a couple of years ago and the solution for me was de fleaing my home. I didn't know then that fleas breed more in furnishings than on the cat. I bought Indorex spray via Amazon for home treatment. I spent ages vacuuming everything, including carpets, cushions and down the sides of sofa and chair cushions. I then sprayed everything at the same time as treating the cat with a spot on treatment and washed everything that she slept on. It took a good while to deep clean but worth it. The Indorex also kills the flea eggs so stops the breeding cycle.

Full instructions are on the container which worked a treat. I never had a problem after doing the treatment. I felt so relieved as did my poor cat.
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
wendy

Post by wendy »

Haven't de fleaed my dogs for about 20 years. 'Cos they haven't had any.
Granted I haven't got a cat and I think they can bring them home .
The last time I saw one on my dogs, they had just batted a hedgehog about, I dusted them.
Dislike thoroughly those drop things !
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

I never have a problem with Beau and like you Wendy use nothing. I also hate using the spot on treatment but when Misty who was an avid mouser became infested I had no choice as nothing else worked. On Beau as well as he was catching them from Mistie.
My friend does have the problem with her little dog who is walked in an area of long grass. I keep away from it but cats love it.
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

I have three cats and use the spot on flea treatment from the vets. It is the only thing that works, but it is very expensive. It recommends using monthly but, during the summer, I probably did them every 6-7 weeks. I have not done them with the flea spot on for quite a few weeks now and am hoping that I wont have to over the colder Winter months. I haven't actually seen any fleas this year but I have to be careful as my little female cat is allergic to flea bites and comes up in great big sores.
Tink
Longlasting Laner

Post by Tink »

Thank you it seems we all have different experiences. I used to find the drops worked even the supermarket ones but these days they just don't seem to stop them liked they used to. I have a household spray somewhere and will try that as well. Thanks. x
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

Tink wrote:I used to find the drops worked even the supermarket ones but these days they just don't seem to stop them liked they used to

I remember the first time (well over 25 years ago) a vet prescribed Frontline drops for my cat after a particularly bad infestation - it had amazing almost immediate results compared to previous treatments. It was the only product I'd ever use after that.
However, in later years I noticed it became no more effective than other products on the market (not to mention vets were becoming frequently insistent on using the Program treatment instead which sterilizes the female fleas from reproducing rather than kills them) - I don't think it was so much the fleas were becoming immune but concluded that the active ingredient in the original Frontline product did not comply with a growing list of substances banned in the EU and was removed.

albertajune wrote:I had a problem with my cat a couple of years ago and the solution for me was de fleaing my home. I didn't know then that fleas breed more in furnishings than on the cat.

tell me about it, especially when the fleas were also biting me! I too did a radical de-fleaing my home with sprays and powders ....
Mercedes
Legendary Laner

Post by Mercedes »

wendy wrote:Haven't de fleaed my dogs for about 20 years. 'Cos they haven't had any.
Granted I haven't got a cat and I think they can bring them home .
The last time I saw one on my dogs, they had just batted a hedgehog about, I dusted them.
Dislike thoroughly those drop things !

Same here Wendy, I never used to de flea Mishka our labrador and I don't use anything on Daisy either. I'm very anti any chemicals on dogs, be it flea stuff or vaccinations.
I did used to be a cat person and that also was the only time I had a flea problem, but I think in years of having cats I only had one lot of fleas.
Lyn