3 amberlinks and 1 speckled.

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
Powyswales
Lively Laner

3 amberlinks and 1 speckled.

Post by Powyswales »

Hi, not been on the forum for a few years, I originally had 3 bluebells and 3 Rhode island reds, had to sadly rehome due to ill health, now feeling better have today purchase 4 new chickens, 3x amberlinks and 1 x specledy at 24 weeks old, did I make a good choice? Luckily I kept my plastic solway midi coop that I purchased in 2015 plus all the feeder and drinker containers, did not get them home till 3pm, they failed to go into their coop after dark so had to put them in myself. So did I make a good choice seller did have bluebells but I found them quite vocal last time. Anyone else have amberlinks?

Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Re: 3 amberlinks and 1 speckled.

Post by Gwenoakes »

Welcome back and I am glad you are feeling better now.
Have no idea if you have made a good choice or not, but perhaps you could google?

Have just googled and it says both are pretty docile and good layers, so hopefully this is what you want/need.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Whichever breed you chose is sure to give you hour of entertainment ( + eggs + episodes of worry & frustration)
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Hi, welcome back and it's good to hear your health has picked up again )t'

Bluebells do have a bit of a reputation for going broody so you may have dodged a bullet there ;) The speckeldy is a well known backyard chicken breed and well behaved, and in fact my Pokey is a golden speckeldy and is as good as gold (albeit incredibly naughty, she's had her beak into my cup of tea 3 times today), she's very friendly, laid back and a good sturdy girl. The amber links - are these amber stars? I was going to get one a few years back but the place I went to was out of stock and I ended up with Casper (a coral nick) instead. They are supposed to be lovely little chickens:

http://www.poultrycentre.co.uk/amber-st ... 328582.htm

Either way, welcome back to chicken keeping!
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
Powyswales
Lively Laner

Post by Powyswales »

Hi, thank you for the replies, chickens doing great and have been free ranging from Wednesday, getting 3 eggs a day. One thing I have noticed is the hens are not vocal after laying an egg, my previous chickens ( bluebells and rir ) would always make a loud vocal noise for a few minutes after laying, but the hens I have now I don't get any noise so much better for my neighbours.
Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

So glad that your chickens are doing well and are obviously enjoying their free ranging life with you. Hope that you are enjoying keeping them again. Would love to see some photo's.
Powyswales
Lively Laner

Post by Powyswales »

Just an update, chickens still doing great and all still in lay despite the cold and getting 4 eggs a day, I am now making them a small 18 inch passage way so they can also make their way to the back lawn for even more free ranging, they enjoy being petted and have tamed very quickly, only thing is they will not go into their coop till it is fully dark, my previous chickens would be in at dusk but like tonight for example they did not go on until near 6pm, don't think it is a problem with the coop as it is a plastic solway coop that was home to my previous chickens, and no sign of red mite, think it is just these chickens don't want to give in and call it a day as they enjoy the garden so much and push their luck....
Powyswales
Lively Laner

Post by Powyswales »

HedgeHugger
Legendary Laner

Post by HedgeHugger »

Mine never did go to the coop by themselves. Left with just the one now and I still have to tuck her in every night! (she'll be 8 this May!)