Sandy's Pink Ladies

Start your own thread and let us follow you through the year
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Re: Sandy's Pink Ladies

Post by KarenE »

Oh dear poor Lottie, she is in the wars! I have heard cornflour is good for stopping blood?

I'm not sure a heater in the coop is a good idea, won't they overheat?
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper

sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

The three beautiful tall trees the railway planted on our land when it was theirs are getting their own back for us having them chopped down to make way for mine and Mr Ped's chicken coop! The roots stretch for ever and of course are now well and truly rotted deep underground. Upto BLOCK AND Quayle this morning for manageable to carry tubs of concrete and filled in a tree root hole under the cottage and one just outside the office. Rats can still get in behind the cube , have left the hole open as will need to wire and sort out from the back . Now rat in the garage hmmm but tonight there is one hell of a commotion in the attic so will be on the phone to ratman tomorrow morning yike*
Lottie is slow and sure now but of course she has to spend 3 days a week in her cage, roll on lighter nights please. Been looking after The Ped girls again (no change there then) and changed their bedding and my girls to eucalyptus hemp bedding as Vorky still a bit nasally and Ronnie is prone to a dodgy chest. I went to lock the girls up and could smell the bedding from my backdoor, my girls were tucked in but the Peds were all stood outside. I wondered if the strong smell was putting them off? Had to bundle them in one by one under protest that first night but no problems since.
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Hi Sandy , do you need a food delivery if cheaper , straw , saw dust etc. Plan to visit sometime soon , as bike season starts in Feb .
Let me know .
Bob
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

i'm okay for straw and sawdust thanks Bob, if you are coming this way next month can i let you know nearer the time? Had ratman checking out our attic today yike* Insisted on seeing my girls, told me keeping hens causes rats, well yes i know cause i am working my way through more cement used than went building the channel tunnel, but i have had girls for over 10 years now and never had them in my house!
Lottie walking lovely today bless her but she will have to be confined tomorrow as i wont be home until gone 7 }hairout{ really must find her a better place to live than with me {cry}
Not done the waters tonight as suppose to supposed to freeze, all other girls just fine thank goodness
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce

bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi Sandy , I would always take her , you know , but she is settled and a few days confined with you as her keeper , she can not ask for more .
I am sure she is happy as she can be .
Would a larger dog cage help.
Bob
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

Sandy am I right in thinking you are planning to visit Karen soon? If so its possible that if you & I agree that she could live with Giblet (we'll need to chat about it) you could bring Lottie with you - I live less than 30 mins from Karen. pm me.
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Kitty, I think Bob and I and I hope you are planning a visit as a henpal meetup when nights a bit lighter I believe when obviously convenient to Karen. It is such a shame we dont live closer and could do a trial to see if Gibby and Lottie were suited. Thankyou so much for the offer and although i would love to give her a chance of being non caged now i think i will have to wait until it can be achieved

All girls fine.
Still trying to sort out Suranne's legs but all other Peds feet are healed.
Five more cementing in holes acheived.
Echo had gone from being extemeley friendly to slightly Honey/Ruby annoying {rofwl}
Have taken the 2 tables out of office, big one in raptors run , quite sad so may girls have been squirted, medicated,cut and cuddled there. Small one in Lottie and Dotties so they have a bit more shelter. Their roof is leaking and cannot let them go in their bigger run as that is where i am cementing, looks like an excavation site at the moment, not that Lottie can climb over the door stop to get in there anyway.

Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

Hi Sandy - Glad everyone is doing OK. I have a permanently leaky roof over my run, but hopefully in the Spring we are going to try to do a bit of DIY and fasten a corrugated roof.
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Snow we can cope with but now the rain is absolutely pouring down and my 5 10kgs of woodchip have disappeared into the mud }hairout{ Girls love the snow, Blue,Echo,Charlie and Delta had never seen it before, they embraced it excitedly and even threw lumps of snow in to their runs for their enjoyment. Managed to fill up 4 more holes today before the rain.
Yesterday had to snip off a load of muck off of Rita's bottie, everyone fine. Echo lucky she didnt get covered in cement powder, she tried helping me carry the container through the gap as i had to close the door to keep them out where i was working, she got under my feet and with quick reaction i just stopped it tipping all over her!
Dear Lottie couldnt do anything but sit both saturday and sunday, her days i dont work }hairout{ let her stay out but had to pop her up the outhouse from 4pm until dark each day. Of course monday when i would be out all day she was walking lovely but cage it had to be! This morning she could potter luckily unfortunately even though i was home in the light i got waylaid and by the time i got down to pop her into bed she had leapt up the ladder and landed halfway up and a scary angle....roll on light nights please!
Eggs...hmm everyone laying on and off though after a little flurry Dottie has stopped again

sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

think i have finally cracked the photos, they are so small on my laptop and no latest import so have to trawl }hairout{
had a good couple of hours with the girls and boy today...Rocky was a very good boy while i removed so many clumps of mud from his lovely feathered feet. Ronnie had a bot full of poo yike* no idea why...she is so full of feathers down below so took quite awhile to remove, she too was a very good girl...
Lottie very slow and gangly again and she beat me to putting her to bed so found her hangin precariously half way up the ladder. Cant wait to buy the eglu Bob is going to pick up so i can at least have a temporary home for her to climb into before i put her up in her high rise. Now this is weird and weird? Last two days found mouse poo instead of rat poo! have been removing water at night from advice from on here and outside, pain having to replenish in mornings when time tight but anything to help the girlies.
now lets hope these photos come out...
Bjork on her slide
Echo on the food bowls which is why they are no longer pristine

Audrey waiting for a nice g and t (thats garvo and treats)

Echo helping me again

whhops think Barney is where Audrey is and Audrey where Echo should be? dare not remove incase i mess up so here goes again for Echo
Little Lottie

Dottie

Jennifer and Nancy passing the time of day (or plotting)

Lottie up the big house on Christmas day

sorry its a bit hard moving photos with inbuilt mouse!
Audrey and Charlie on bar bench

Audrey again...such a poser
and dear little Mae West bless her at the vets

well that was hard work so dont expect as many photos as before, i thought technology was supposed to get better and easier

sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Late thursday night I decided to rehome Lottie and Dottie, even though it hadnt rained for awhile they have little dryness in their area when it does and the ground is quite uneven. Dear Lottie hadnt been able to move at all for quite awhile and on the days i am home in the light which luckily now is only wednesday i have kept her out of the cage and surrounded her with food and water bowls ensuring she was in a position to reach forward to them. The area with the office in is even and soft , they had nowhere to dustbath in their old part as Dottie refused to get in the tub of sand and Lottie couldnt.I had to remove a door to get the eglu through, i shut the doors so i could carry it with the bedding in but of course the door swung open and covered me in hemp! After much struggling and language {warn} i managed to move it , i remember getting it in there it just made it through the gap, then had to lift the stand it is on through. I had shut the big girls in the cube area but Dottie was trying to hinder me protesting loudly her bedroom she wanted to get in was no longer where it should be. Of course then i had to ensure i could close the door to their new area which has been propped open for years, took a huge pull dragging it over the ground which had mysteriously and very annoyingly raised and now it was very dark! The big girls had gone to bed so shut them in and now i could put the lights on. The challenge now was to lift the eglu on the stand and replace the door i had taken off }hairout{ I text Mr Ped, did he have 10 minutes to spare? thank goodness he did , of course being a man he lifted the eglu on straight away and took less time to realign and screw the door back on than i had to remove it.
The next morning Lottie sat where she could eat and drink but when i got home she had MOVED :-D bless when i got out the treats she walked to them and touch wood she has been able to able about since. Mr Ped told me i should put her out of her misery but as she wasnt exactly ill i hadnt wanted to but with her 4 days of so not being able to do anything but sit i was in a bit of a quandary about her quality of life.
Suranne has had a behind clear up as has Ronnie again! and everyone got frontlined which is such fun )j;
Ronnie, Audrey,Charlie,Lottie and Dottie were fine. Echo and Blue were strugglers.
In the Ped house everyone was good except Miriam who is always super wary, Rita not happy but Vorky went insane.

sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Diary is getting a bit slack :oops:
Lottie has been having a lot of good days recently, being able to get about and even having a little dustbath, so glad I moved them to a better area even if i have to have a fight with their door every time! It is the same door I almost beheaded Abbie with many years ago when she walked out without me seeing, it was the outer door then, i slammed it shut and her body was inside of the door with her head outside, she actually passed out yike* Of course she lived to see a lot more days thank goodness. I gave the girls their treats tonight and was horrified to see Dottie push Lottie out of the way with such force poor Lottie fell over on her side and couldnt get up. Dottie was lifted up and carried about while i saw to the big girls after lifting Lottie to her feet to eat in peace.
Found a soft jelly egg in cube wednesday morning, Delta was sat by it so thought it was hers, chucked it out for the girls, did chores nextdoor in Ped run and on return Delta still in cube with yolk and white under her, hmmm this wasnt right so got her out and popped her on the ground. She went into the dreaded hunch position so popped her on my lap for investigation. Just like Olive's usual problems found soft and hard shell inside of her , took a good fifteens minutes to gently pull it all out and bless she said as good as gold. Already late for work i popped her back into cube for a rest after me poking about and it ws dark when i got home. Thursday morning anxioulsy opened cube , everyone came out bar Delta....and then she leapt down the ladder and ran so fast she waggled from side to side (just like the raptor Blue running to the aid of the T Rex) to the morning treats, hurray )t' will keep a close eye on her of course. Wednesdays they dont get night time treats as home in dark so started doing them a special breakfast, this week they had tuna, veg rice, chopped courgettes, sweetcorn and cannelloni beans which Audrey loved.
Peds gave me a laugh last night, Mr Ped said they take ages going to bed and squabble, said you need to know your girls, like chess moves BOB? You put Vorky with Bjork on the very end being the newbies and Bjork being sassier goes next to Jen, then Nancy. Along the other rung you pop Suranne on the end as she is vicious with nutty Miriam next to her, then big Ivy then you have to chase Rita around, give her a cuddle and a big Woo kiss and pop her by Ivy with of course Rocky sat on the floor in the corner!
New bedding tomorrow, been a big neglectful in changing it recently :oops:

bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

My chess board has 40 plus pieces and more squares than enough .
I am just pleased when they are under lock .
I have a hen I am calling Red. She is always following me around , jumps up and looks in the bowl , tries hard to get in the dog cage and just loves being picked up . After food .
My flock is now more like the begin than ever it has been .
See you soon.
Bob
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Oh it's like a game of Chicken Jenga with the peds!

Glad to hear Lottie is having some good days lately. They can be a bit rufty-tufty when going for food, I'm sure Dottie didn't mean to bowl her over.
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Well nearly every night i right on my chicken calendar...all ok..Lottie slow/better/not moving! Lottie couldnt get up at all on saturday so as the weather was nice i popped her on the lawn, had to ask Mrs Ped to call Sox the curious cat back to her garden as she towers over Lottie. When the sun went off the greenhouse i popped her in there, where she suddenly found her feet and began scracthing about so i popped Dottie and a big bowl of water in with them for the next couple of hours. I stretch her legs out every morning which seems to help get her going.
All ok...hmmm sunday Ronnie in bed, not happy, coughing! Put tylan in waters and wet their food with it and got her out. Her bottie is always so messy, must be the was out comes out?Cleaned it up as best as i could but she was not a happy girl so booked her in to see Tom (Chris the magical hen expert has retired). Ronnie of course was bouncy monday morning but up she went, it was her chest again, rattly so she is on metacam twice daily for 7 days. After her first dose, great fun getting it in a dark mouth checking out where her tongue was(shes a buebelle) and then she was off as bossy and bouncy as she always is. Phew....
BUT going down last night Echo who has to help me with everything was stood alone , head down legs apart. She felt heavy underneath, i popped her in bed as an egg must be trying to come. This morning she came out slowly and just stood, there was albumen in the coop so i checked her vent. A whole broken shell was in there so i gently pulled it out and felt about to make sure all gone. Throughout the day she was much better though i was a bit concerned no yolk had come out. By 4.30 she was bad again although she was empty underneath so another vets appointment. Her temparture was fine and nothing waiting to come out but David was concerned she still may have eyp {cry} but i want to give her a chance as her wings and tail are upright so she is on metacam and septrim twice daily. She had a few sunflower seeds after her meds and then put herself to bed, when i shut them up bless she had been pushed out of the bedroom to by the door so everything crossed tonight for her and Poppy the dog i walk who is also very poorly >fi< >fi<